You’ve picked the wedding date and selected a stunning venue in the idyllic countryside, but you still have one very important decision to make: what to wear! Unlike summer weddings where pretty much anything goes, the beautiful fall foliage brings with it noticeably cooler temps and the need for warmer layers. While it may entail a little more creativity from the bride-to-be, there’s no shortage of breathtaking bridal options to go around. From princess-inspired tulle skirts to radiant white jumpsuits, here are 29 non-traditional alternatives to your classic floor-length gown.
1. Free People Lucia Mini Dress ($850): Unleash endless boho vibes on your special day with this little lace number that’s for the most free-spirited at heart. Complete the look with a flower crown and a fishtail braid.
2. Reformation Noelle Dress ($588): This unbelievably fierce Reformation dress can do no wrong. For a one-and-done look, let the dress (or rather that open back) do the talking alongside a set of simple pearl studs and a beautiful bouquet of wildflowers.
3. Stone Cold Fox Chloe Gown ($3,000): Lace lovers, rejoice! This gown takes the cake for being THE wedding dress of the century. The keyhole front, risqué slit and heart-shaped back (!) will bring on the glamour and show off your sultry side. Are you swooning yet?
4. Tibi Agathe Bow Jumpsuit ($695): It’s your wedding day — you can wear a jumpsuit if you want to! Major props if you happen to fall head-over-heels for this white, bow-adorned jumpsuit by Tibi. Style it up with some black lace-up flats or sparkly steppers FTW.
5. Oleg Cassini Long Sleeved Tea Length Wedding Dress ($700): What a beaut! From the all-over lace to the timeless boat neck, this vintage-inspired tea-length wedding dress exudes old-school glamour. Now all you need is “something old” and “something blue.”
6. Darccy Embroidered Boho Maxi Dress ($44): Getting hitched? THIS is the maxi stunner, complete with a semi-sheer panel, that is practically meant for a Grecian goddess. Gold steppers obligatory with this one.
7. Frock and Frill Midi Dress With All Over Garden Embellishment ($120): Match your dress to the scenic outdoors with this garden party-inspired frock that is ultra feminine and all sorts of pretty. Keep it simple with a crown braid and timeless accessories.
8. Carven Cutout Lace Mini Dress ($790): Go the designer route with this ivory dress by Carven that flaunts a classic collar, open back and lace panel. For max perfection, walk down the aisle in a pair of ankle-strap skimmers that are just as unexpected as the dress itself.
9. BHLDN Grace Gown ($2,300): Now, here’s a contemporary gown for the modern bride-to-be. The juxtaposition of the silk top with the tulle skirt creates a modern and polished wedding look. The only thing missing is a pair of chandelier earrings or a bejeweled headband.
10. For Love & Lemons Noir Mini Dress ($229): Just “okay” won’t do on your wedding day. You need a dress that will wow on all fronts. Enter the white scalloped mini dress of your dreams. The tulle panel on the front will show off your sultry side without being overly revealing.
11. BHLDN Danae Sweater ($260): Combat those chilly temps with an ivory cable-knit sweater that would pair perfectly with an accordion pleat skirt or tailored trousers. Or, better yet, follow in Olivia Palermo’s footsteps by layering a tulle skirt over a chic pair of shorts and some blue Manolo heels.
12. BHLDN Aurore Jumpsuit ($300): You do YOU with this ultra-femme jumpsuit that Jenna Lyons (and fellow girl bosses) would totes approve of. Subtle girly touches — like the sweetheart neckline and self-tie bow on the back — are a sweet surprise. Just add a herringbone blazer and vintage brooch for added panache.
13. Jarlo Makena Plunge Front Maxi Dress ($99): Can you count the ways to style up this white gown with a plunging neckline and ruffles in all the right places? Infinite. A stunning body chain or hand chain would serve as the perfect finishing touch.
14. Tadashi Shoji Embroidered Tulle Crop Top Full Skirt Gown ($868): Could’ve fooled us. While this white gown may look like two pieces, it’s actually one. The crop top overlay is youthful and trendy — aka perfect for modern brides looking for a classic gown with a fun flair.
15. ASOS Wedding Ruched Mesh Panel Maxi Dress ($103): This is what dreams are made of, people! This ethereal maxi dress will look ah-mazing when it comes time to pose for photos with your bridal party. DO accessorize with a vintage heirloom or pendant necklace to further commemorate your special day.
16. BHLDN Amora Skirt ($600): When a palette of creams and ivories grows stale, try mixing it up with a fairytale-esque gray tulle skirt. Whether you pair it with a silk cami or a cropped cashmere sweater, the sartorial options are endless.
17. Marchesa Notte V-Neck Lace Jumpsuit ($995): Yes, you can wear a jumpsuit to your own wedding. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. This one by Marchesa just so happens to be a triple threat: The lace, peplum and bow belt make it a #winning option in our eyes. Slip on some killer pumps and get ready to walk down the aisle.
18. Cleo and Clementine Bamboo Jersey Dress with Tulle Skirt ($420): Make way for the modern-day Cinderella. This two-piece gown, complete with a tulle skirt, is just as swoon-worthy as it looks. For a low-key wedding, dress it down with a leather moto jacket and ankle booties.
19. J.Crew Collection Sequin Shift Dress ($795): Shine bright like a diamond on your wedding day with this conservative shift dress that shines + sparkles just right when light reflects upon the sequins. For a one-and-done look, just toss on a pair of mega statement earrings and a wool cocoon coat in a punchy pink.
20. Tobi Right on Track Halter Suit ($54): When sporty meets masculine, this track suit with a halter top is the result. For the ultimate sartorial risk, this edgy jumpsuit with a well-placed peek-a-boo cutout is everything. When it comes time for the reception, swap out the heels for a cool pair of kicks.
21. X Revolve Gracie Gown ($342): Yasss. Pull out all the stops in this strapless champagne gown that’s practically made for a princess (or bride) in waiting. Opt for a formal updo so you can show off that v-strap back.
22. Kate Spade Open Back Silk Mini Dress ($428): Solidify your status as a Spade girl with this stunning silk dress. Thanks to the dramatic open back, all eyes will be on you when it comes time to throw the bouquet. DO accessorize with a cocktail ring and an elegant pair of earrings for an unforgettable wedding look.
23. Ryland Sequin Dress ($416): Strike a pose in this red carpet-worthy sequin dress that’s embellished with beads and feathers. Double this guy up with an equally show-stopping pair of steppers and throw in a statement cuff to seal the deal.
24. Glamorous Falling in Lace Jumpsuit ($53): For comfort, convenience and unlimited chicness, this playsuit provides the most no-nonsense approach to leisurewear dressing yet. Add an element of femininity to your wedding look with a pair of bow-adorned flats and loose beach waves.
25. BHLDN Serenity Maxi Skirt ($140): Pleats, please! Channel your romantic side with this chiffon pleated skirt that’s practically calling for a vintage locket and timeless ballerinas.
26. Pixie Market Emily Mesh Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($142): No less sophisticated than a floor-length wedding gown, this chic LBD with fun cutout shoulders + mesh detailing ushers in a new era of bridal style. Complete the look with a sleek chignon, a diamond ear cuff and your go-to dancin’ shoes.
27. J.Crew Collection Floral Lace Cropped Top ($200): For a wedding look that is so right now, this matching lace set is as lovely as it gets. From saying “I do” at the altar to enjoying your first dance as a Mrs., this versatile combo is a winner on all fronts. Keep the white-on-white theme going with an updated French mani and white pumps.
28. Reformation Doris Cape ($198): A frigid outdoor wedding venue calls for a statement topper that can’t be ignored. This ivory, full-length cape from Reformation will not only keep the cold temps at bay, but it’ll also lend your gown an extra edge.
29. Free People Lillian Gown ($4,000): More is more as far as this knock-out embroidered gown is concerned. Fit for a princess, this entrance-maker flaunts bell sleeves and a floor-length train that is practically guaranteed to turn heads.
What’s your favorite non-traditional fall wedding option for brides-to-be? Let us know in the comments below!