10 Eco-Friendly Products for Every New Mom
Any baby’s big birth day brings a whole new world of love. But it also creates a new set of worries, concerns, and general anxieties that a new mom may have never experienced before, because she only wants the best for her little one. Here’s where you come in: Whether you missed your co-worker’s baby shower or just want to gift your BFF with something that they can actually use, you’ll want to check out these awesomely eco-friendly baby products. Not only are they good for the planet, but they’re good for baby too!
1. GLO Fair Trade & Organic Elephant Crib Fitted Sheet ($39): This sheet isn’t just adorable; it’s also organic. Along with using 100 percent Fair Trade Certified and GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) Certified Organic Cotton, the cheerfully patterned fabric gets its bold hues from low-impact dyes that are also GOTS-approved.
2. The Honest Company Overnight Diapers ($14 for 21-30): No parent wants to wake up every hour on the hour to change a super-leaky diaper, which is where a specialized overnight version comes in. These hypoallergenic diapers offer plenty of absorption, are bleach-free, and are made without chemical-filled chlorine processing.
3. Roxy Marj Organic Woodland Animal Crib Fitted Sheet ($24): Is your friend getting frustrated by overly cutesy patterns? They’ll adore this imaginative, modern design and appreciate that the sheet is made from 100 percent organic cotton.
4. Attitude Little Ones Shampoo ($15): Skip the mega-dose of chemicals with the help of this baby bath product. It’s carcinogen-free (and what new mommy doesn’t want that?), veggie-based, biodegradable, vegan, and hypoallergenic to boot.
5. Natursutten Natural Rubber Pacifier ($12): This BPA-free paci is made from 100 percent natural rubber. It’s softer than silicone, phthalate-free, and available in two sizes.
6. Caboo Tree-Free Bamboo Baby Wipes ($16 for 216): Every new parent needs baby wipes. There are the obvious uses (yes, baby’s tiny tush), but there’s also wiping up spit-ups spills and everything else that comes along with an inevitably messy baby. These wipes are made from 100 percent organic bamboo spunlace, biodegradable, and BPA-free.
7. Nook Sleep LilyPad2 Playmat ($240): This soft, cushioned playmat is made from non-toxic materials, making it perfect for a new parent who’s careful about what touches their kiddo. Along with being safe-for-baby, this playmat is also machine-washable and constructed using recycled materials — and with nearly 22 square feet of space, your friend will be using it for years even as their baby grows.
8. Burt’s Bees Baby Non-Slip Footed Sleeper Pajamas ($9+): Made from GOTS-certified organic cotton, this sleeper is cuddly soft for baby, while the materials and design will ease any anxious parent’s mind.
9. Land of the Wee Hooded Baby Towel and Washcloth Set ($26): Made from bamboo — and super-soft too! If the new little one has sensitive skin, baby acne, or eczema, this is a product their parent will especially appreciate.
10. The Honest Company Baby Basics Gift Set ($16): Having trouble picking just one thing? Give the gift of eco-options! This set comes with wipes, diapers, shampoo and body wash, face and body lotion, and an all-purpose balm.
What your favorite eco-friendly baby gift? Share your pick by tweeting us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Land of the Wee on Amazon)
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)