17 Eco-Friendly Products Your Hairstylist Would Approve
Whether we’re rocking a pixie cut or have long, beachy waves, we’re always on the hunt for stylist approved tips and tricks that will help us with our hair. The latest trend, green beauty, has a place near and dear to my heart. As a professional hairstylist who loves clean products, I’m passing on these eco-friendly gems that deliver high-impact results. Scroll below for amazing, green formulas that will satisfy your every need.
1. All-in-One: Though this product may appear to be your average gel, it is far from it. Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Smoothing Hydra-Gelée Nourishing Hair Protector ($28) is a weightless formula that conditions and hydrates while smoothing frizz. This is great for the minimalist who doesn’t want to put too many products in her hair but still wants to tame and add shine and texture all in one single formula. Apply directly to towel-dried hair and style as desired, or use on the ends of your hair once dried to piece it out and get some extra shine.
2. Damage Control: Let’s be real — most of us need a little hair help in our life. Between all-too-tempting hair color trends and the endless heat tools we use on the daily, there are many factors that contribute to dry and damaged locks. I am currently obsessed with Kevin Murphy Repair-Me-Wash + Rinse ($90) that helps repair your hair with protein from bamboo and silk amino acids. For an extra kick of hair love, add in Kevin Murphy Angel Masque ($40), which contains quinoa proteins, lotus flower, and bamboo extracts.
3. Curl Enhancer: If your hair is naturally curly or permed, or if you’re adding waves with an iron, spray on Abba Curl Prep Spray ($20) to create the ultimate wave pattern using natural ingredients. Apply to damp strands and scrunch or add to dry curls for a killer wave!
4. Hair Oil: The quest to find the perfect hair oil can be a bit overwhelming, as they can easily be too thick or too thin — but they can also be exactly what your hair needs to feel nourished. Here are three of my favorite go-to green oils for common hair types:
- Fine: Itiba Curcian Spice Hair + Body Serum ($15): With a woodsy, sensuous scent, this oil is good for your hair and your body.
- Medium: Fatco Revitalizing Hair Oil ($48): This product is slightly thicker and can be used either as an overnight treatment or as a styling aid. BTW, the scent on this baby is heavenly due to the perfect blend of argan, coconut, olive, avocado, grapeseed, almond, sesame, jojoba, pomegranate seed, rosemary, and frankincense oils!
- Thick: Sapien Women Split End Repair ($33): The label says it’s great for all hair types, but as a stylist I have found that it really works best on thicker hair.
To use, apply a small amount from the midshaft to the ends of damp hair for added shine.
5. Nourishing Shampoo: This eco-friendly cleanser is for you. Odylique Tea Tree + Herb Shampoo ($20) is specifically designed to enrich your hair as it gently cleans it. It’s 100 percent natural and has a high concentration of organic vitamin and mineral-rich botanicals that condition your scalp and hair.
6. Beach Hair Beauty: Cue everything you need for sun-kissed, salt water vibes! To get wind-blown volume, use Verb Dry Shampoo ($14), a non-whitening powder that gives kick-ass volume and even cleanses your hair/scalp by removing impurities. What’s beach hair without the sea salt texture? Alterna Haircare Bamboo Beach Summer Queen Waves Tousled Texture Spray ($22) delivers that gritty feel you’re craving. Finally, it’s important to keep a good leave-in conditioner like Mop Mixed Greens ($22) on hand for when the ends of your hair need a little extra hydration. Just apply a small amount to your locks for a beachy shine that won’t weigh down your hair.
7. Good for Growth: Hairfinity Cleanse + Condition Kit ($52) gently cleanses, helps eliminate breakage, and is packed with ingredients that are safe for you and your hair. Pair with Hairfinity Healthy Hair Vitamins ($25) that are full of vitamins A, D + B12, niacin, and biotin to ensure strong strands.
8. Daily Go-To: Artnaturals Argan Oil Shampoo ($15) and Artnaturals Argan Conditioner ($15) are the duo to reach for a good daily shampoo and conditioning that doesn’t strip your hair or weigh it down. This pair is everything!
Creative Direction/Styling: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)