Folding Screens Might Be the Coolest Decor Throwback Ever
When it comes to hidden storage hacks in your teeny-tiny apartment, folding screens, which date back centuries, offer a fun way to divide up your space and keep your clutter hidden. And since they come in a huge variety of styles, you can pretty much guarantee there’s a divider that was practically made for you. Whether you’re in need of a workspace that doesn’t overlook your kitchen or you just want a creative way to decorate that awkward corner, these 12 folding screens will give you major decor inspiration.
1. DIY Woven Room Divider: Banish, er, hide the clutter in your living room with a trendy woven folding screen. To add a little pizzazz, pick up a rattan room divider, grab your yarn basket, and customize that screen in any design or color combination you’d like. (via Sugar & Cloth)
2. DIY Folding Screen: Who knew pieces of plywood could look so chic? This easy DIY screen could work with any color scheme and would look great in a home office or bedroom. Transform plain old wood panels into a real stunner with a few sprays of paint and a couple of hinges. (via Make My Lemonade)
3. DIY Easy Folding Screen: Nothing adds character to a room more easily than a stylish pattern or two. Case in point? This banana leaf and plaid combo. Whether your home is boho-chic or minimalist, a room divider will add immediate color and texture to your living room. (via Apartment Therapy)
4. Bohemian Patterns: It’s time to lose the blackout curtains and embrace waking up with the sun. A boho screen like this will give your bedroom/closet a touch of privacy, while still letting in tons of natural light. (via Decor8)
5. Urban Outfitters Slatted Screen Room Divider ($429): Creating a cohesive, standout space is largely a matter of choosing the right textiles and knowing how to combine them. This slatted wood room divider might bring back flashbacks of your grandparents’ wood-paneled living room, but pair it with modern pastels and you’ve got a #winning piece.
6. DIY Folding Screen from Bifold Doors: Wallpaper is a brilliant way to bring tons of style and personality into your space, but if you’re looking for a less permanent solution, try covering a folding screen instead. It’s just the right size to get a taste of whether or not you love or hate that floral or marble wallpaper you thought you needed. (via Little Green Notebook)
7. Peekaboo Panel: Reminiscent of Japanese paper doors, this light folding screen is sure to add zen vibes into your space. The sheer panel lets light come through, and the one “woven” piece in the middle gives just the right amount of visual interest. (via Livet Hemma)
9. Privacy, Please: If you work from home, you know the importance of separating office time from play time. Folding screens on wheels are ideal for giving you a closed workspace without actually building walls or resorting to a closet cubicle. (via Vtwonen)
10. Fresh Bamboo Frames: Say goodbye to curtains, bookcases, and other awkward room dividers. A folding panel is just what you need to add a natural and clean look to your home. For those of you rocking that #studiolife, divide up the room in a snap by using your beautiful bamboo panel. (via Sweet Harmonie)
11. Geometric Glam: Folding screens aren’t just for privacy; they also make a killer backdrop and add a little flair to any room. If you hate the bare-looking wall in your rental but don’t want to put more holes in the plaster, turn it into a glam corner with a bold and geometric screen. (via The Everygirl)
12. Sneaky Storage: Let’s just say draping your clothes over a folding screen is a major step above dumping them on a chair. Plus it gives you a chance to actually see which scarves you own. (via Apartment Therapy)
What do you think of folding screens for your home? Follow us on Pinterest for more home decor inspo and DIY projects.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.