As women, we can feel bloated one day and toned and lean the next. This is completely normal and happens to all of us. Bloating can be caused by hormones, bacteria in your tummy, or your body holding onto water because of salty or sugary foods.
This summer, we want you to feel your fittest and most confident, so today we’re sharing some amazing tips that we personally use before our photo shoots and events. These will help you debloat and feel lean and light in just a few days — whether you’re prepping for a vacation, a beach day, a summer BBQ, or simply want to feel like your most confident self!
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. We can’t say it enough! Sipping water flushes toxins out of your system and can even raise your metabolic rate. Aim for at least 70 ounces of water a day. During the summer, we love sipping on this refreshing and de-bloating spa water.
2. Watch your sodium intake. A few days before a big event, try eliminating sodium as much as you can. Season your meals with other spices like cayenne and turmeric instead of salt. Also opt for whole, unprocessed meals, because many packaged foods are high in sodium.
3. Marinade your veggies. We’re obsessed with kale. We even wrote a whole post on its benefits HERE! Kale and other cruciferous veggies can cause bloating for some people, but we have a trick for that!
We always marinade our kale and other cruciferous veggies on Sunday. This breaks down the fibers and makes them easier to digest, which eliminates bloat. You can marinade your greens with olive oil and lemon juice or try mixing in an avocado and lemon juice and massaging it into the kale with your hands.
4. Sip a smoothie. Foods rich in potassium have been shown to ease bloat. Try adding banana and coconut water to your morning smoothie or smoothie bowl. We like to pre-chop and freeze our bananas for a creamier texture. Try some of our fave smoothie recipes HERE.
5. Swap out dairy. Not everyone has the enzyme to digest lactose, which can cause bloating. Swap dairy for alternatives like almond milk and coconut yogurt. We have more dairy-free swaps we love HERE.
6. Savor your meals. Eating too quickly can lead to swallowing excess air and bloating, so slow down and savor every bite.
Join our Tone It Up Nutrition Plan for even more science-backed advice to banish bloat and feel and look your best. The plan tells you everything you need to know — what to eat, when, and why — to get the best results and have a healthy and fit summer.
(Photos via Tone It Up)