How to Do Festival Style Like an Adult
Ah, festival season. As the young and hip crowd venture out to the fairgrounds uniformed in itty-bitty crop tops, neck-plunging bodysuits, and outrageous fishnet tights, odds are you can’t help but feel a little (or a LOT) behind the times. But age is just a number, after all. The key to taking on festival season like an adult is to opt for polished pieces with just the right amount of don’t-care-flair that, err, don’t leave you pulling and tugging to stay covered up. It’s less about the shock factor, more about channeling your inner bohemian princess. Keep scrolling for 14 festival fashion essentials that will hold you down for a summer of outdoor concerts without making you look super silly.
1. Ann Howell Bullard The Black Keys Circle Bag ($395): Unless you want to show up twinning with every other 20-something toting around a fringe-tastic cross-body bag or holographic fanny pack, we recommend leveling up with this sophisticated striped circle bag. It’ll fit your all-black-err’thang aesthetic to a T.
2. Sézane Alice Dress ($155): With this Indian embroidered tunic dress (and some Birks) on standby, you’re bound to turn some heads. You ‘70s babe, you.
3. Cult Gaia Dorothy Bow Back Top ($118) + Dorothy Capri Pant in Palm ($128): Cult Gaia is back again, but this time with a summer-ready palm leaf printed co-ord that’s straight-up bananas. Team it with a bamboo clutch and some retro oval-shaped sunnies for the festival-going lewk of the season.
4. Madewell Embroidered Cactus Courier Shirt ($70): Turn down the chance to sport a boxy white shirt printed with mini cacti? Nah, girl. Some dainty cactus studs may be in order.
5. Wilfred Adelia Dress ($135): Leave just the right amount to the imagination with this airy linen dress featuring a peekaboo cutout and a twirl-worthy button-front skirt. Any takers?
6. Manebí Flat Sandal Rajasthan Indian Fabric ($108): Lace-up pom-pom adorned gladiators, meet your match. We’re calling dibs on these handmade fabric espadrilles that will elevate everything from a black jumpsuit to a tassel-strewn kaftan.
7. Toms & Other Stories Pearl Embroidered Vest ($85): Skip the OTT bib necklaces and flashy add-ons by opting for this metallic embroidered vest with Western-inspired details. Pssst: You’ll even be tempted to wear it beyond festival grounds.
8. Free People Vintage Bandanas ($18): Can you count the ways to style this vintage-inspired paisley bandana? Infinite. Wear it around your neck as a chic ascot scarf, fasten it to the strap of your leather tote, or toss it on top of a ponytail for a little extra desert flair.
9. Rebecca Minkoff Malibu Lombardo Tee ($58): Embrace a California state of mind with this laid-back chic Malibu tee that will have you raging on in style. For a little rocker edge, just toss on a leather biker jacket and some cool frayed hem jeans.
10. Cupcakes and Cashmere Henderson Flare Crop Pants ($105): Introducing the free-wheelin’, striped wide-leg pants that you’ll reach for without hesitation. All that’s missing is a slouchy knit sweater, backless mules, and a cool fedora for maximum impact.
11. Scotch & Soda High Waist Denim Shorts Ocean Reflection ($125):Perfect medium wash. Check. Minimal distressing. Check. High-waisted fit. Triple check. We’ll take a pair of these ultra-flattering cuffed denim shorts over Daisy Dukes any day.
12. Sincerely Jules Bailey Jacket ($190): This embroidered military jacket will have you seeing stars. Dial it down with a denim button-front skirt and suede ankle boots or take the femme route with an eyelet white dress and woven huaraches.
13. Ace & Jig Carver Skirt ($242): More preppy, less boho, this pastel plaid knee-length skirt is all sorts of perfect. We imagine it would look lovely with a chambray shirt, lace-up espadrilles, and a floppy straw hat for the upcoming Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic or Glastonbury (if you’re heading out that way).
14. Rhode Resort Alexis Dress ($295): Aspire to do less with this IRL goddess-worthy dress featuring a sexy cold-shoulder silhouette and loose tiers.
Which of these festival-approved styles will you be test-driving this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.