9 Street Style-Approved Ways to Elevate an Everyday Hoodie
With the holidays on their way, it’s hard not to find yourself swooning over shimmery holiday dresses, Insta-worthy winter coats (the secret to a scene-stealing #OOTD) and embellished block heels that the likes of Alexa Chung would love. But let’s be real — it can get to be a bit much. And when it does, you need a laid-back uniform you can count on to bring you back to reality. A hoodie is a pretty good place to start. Not only does it have relaxed vibes built right in, but the sports chic essential is having a serious sartorial moment, with It girls everywhere featuring them in their #OOTDs on the regular. Sure, hoodies might have a casual (maybe even frumpy) rep, but there are plenty of ways to elevate ’em to your haute style standards. Below, we’re showing you nine ways to take a basic hoodie to the next level.
1. Zara Oversized Hooded Sweatshirt ($36) + H&M Patent Pants ($60): For most of us, patent leather isn’t exactly the most approachable trend — especially where pants are concerned. It’s a little intense. But we’ve found that the easiest way to bring the fierce fashion trend back down to Earth is by styling it alongside everyday essentials. Case in point: These high-shine stunners take on a totally new ‘tude with an oversized sweatshirt layered on top. Throw in a pair of classic flats and a structured crossbody bag for a just chillin’ look that makes the transition from day to night a snap.
2. Zara Sateen Mix Hoodie ($70) + Marchesa Mismatched Cluster Crystal Earrings ($78): A sweatshirt CAN get fancy. This asymmetric style with a touch of ballet beautiful edge is an undisputed match for a pair of skinny jeans, but if after hours is when you plan to bust it out, you’re going to need to think outside the box. Pop it over leather-look trousers and pointed-toe ankle boots, then proceed to pile on the glitz a la a colorful ear cuff, embellished box clutch and faux fur topper FTW. Who needs a bodycon when you can whip out this unexpected after-dark uniform instead?
3. Courrèges Zipped Hoodie ($321) + Zara Shiny Pleated Skirt ($40): A sweatshirt on the job? If you play your cards right, it can totally be done. First order of business? Selecting the right sweat. Featuring an architectural zip, structured pockets and a bold cobalt color, this topper is it. Usher in endless working-girl polish with a rib knit turtleneck, metallic midi skirt and block-heel ankle boots for a daring look that just slips past HR. For extra oomph, throw a pair of statement studs and a streamlined watch into the mix.
4. H&M Oversized Hooded Top ($50) + & Other Stories Golden Hits Trousers ($55): Athleisure is everything, and this dressed-down duo is proof. Basic though this oversized sweatshirt might be, it serves as an anchor for glitzier pieces, like a pair of gilded joggers or a sequin-trimmed skirt. Test drive this combo with ankle-strap heels and sleek dangling earrings for an upcoming GNO or after-work cocktails.
5. Topshop Cropped Hoodie by Boutique ($95) + Milly Single Box Clutch ($295): Bodycons aren’t the only way to dominate the dating scene. Flaunt what you’ve got in a totally game-changing way by swapping out sultry separates for casual-cool pieces that have nothing to prove. Channel your inner street-style star by popping this pretty-in-pink hoodie over a satin slip dress and laser-cut ankle boots for a ladylike look with undeniable edge. Swipe right on a sassy single-taken box clutch that can be used as a mechanism to communicate the success of your rendez-vous with your crew.
6. Madewell Lace-Up Hoodie ($128) + J.Crew Oversized Striped Turtleneck ($45): When it’s cold AF, it’s time to double up. These two toppers will be right there on standby, waiting to give your getup that extra bit of warmth and wow-worthy edge it’s been looking for. Go the extra mile and rock ’em with a longline check coat and bright red suede booties for an afternoon of running errands or a leisurely lunch date with the girls.
7. Zara Pleated Lace Sweatshirt ($70) + Topshop Moto Floral Embroidered Mom Jeans ($110): Low-key doesn’t have to mean short on style. Dial up the drama on a tired tee-and-jeans routine by throwing a lacy hoodie and embroidered denim into the mix. Whether you’re hitting the couch or sipping matcha lattes at a local café, the chill vibes you’ll get from this duo are enough to chase away a serious case of mid-winter blues.
8. Topshop Clean Colour Block Hoodie ($45) + Warehouse Fringe Hem Dress ($116): All dressed up and nowhere to go. Get more wear out of your fanciest frocks by partnering them up with a chic hoodie or two. This bright color-block option adds a note of tough-girl edge to a fringe-flecked midi dress, rendering it daytime ready. Just add Doc Martens and modern hoops for a hint of grunge goddess flair.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.