9 Street Style-Approved Ways to Elevate an Everyday Hoodie
With the holidays on their way, it’s hard not to find yourself swooning over shimmery holiday dresses, Insta-worthy winter coats (the secret to a scene-stealing #OOTD) and embellished block heels that the likes of Alexa Chung would love. But let’s be real — it can get to be a bit much. And when it does, you need a laid-back uniform you can count on to bring you back to reality. A hoodie is a pretty good place to start. Not only does it have relaxed vibes built right in, but the sports chic essential is having a serious sartorial moment, with It girls everywhere featuring them in their #OOTDs on the regular. Sure, hoodies might have a casual (maybe even frumpy) rep, but there are plenty of ways to elevate ’em to your haute style standards. Below, we’re showing you nine ways to take a basic hoodie to the next level.
1. Zara Oversized Hooded Sweatshirt ($36) + H&M Patent Pants ($60): For most of us, patent leather isn’t exactly the most approachable trend — especially where pants are concerned. It’s a little intense. But we’ve found that the easiest way to bring the fierce fashion trend back down to Earth is by styling it alongside everyday essentials. Case in point: These high-shine stunners take on a totally new ‘tude with an oversized sweatshirt layered on top. Throw in a pair of classic flats and a structured crossbody bag for a just chillin’ look that makes the transition from day to night a snap.
2. Zara Sateen Mix Hoodie ($70) + Marchesa Mismatched Cluster Crystal Earrings ($78): A sweatshirt CAN get fancy. This asymmetric style with a touch of ballet beautiful edge is an undisputed match for a pair of skinny jeans, but if after hours is when you plan to bust it out, you’re going to need to think outside the box. Pop it over leather-look trousers and pointed-toe ankle boots, then proceed to pile on the glitz a la a colorful ear cuff, embellished box clutch and faux fur topper FTW. Who needs a bodycon when you can whip out this unexpected after-dark uniform instead?
3. Courrèges Zipped Hoodie ($321) + Zara Shiny Pleated Skirt ($40): A sweatshirt on the job? If you play your cards right, it can totally be done. First order of business? Selecting the right sweat. Featuring an architectural zip, structured pockets and a bold cobalt color, this topper is it. Usher in endless working-girl polish with a rib knit turtleneck, metallic midi skirt and block-heel ankle boots for a daring look that just slips past HR. For extra oomph, throw a pair of statement studs and a streamlined watch into the mix.
4. H&M Oversized Hooded Top ($50) + & Other Stories Golden Hits Trousers ($55): Athleisure is everything, and this dressed-down duo is proof. Basic though this oversized sweatshirt might be, it serves as an anchor for glitzier pieces, like a pair of gilded joggers or a sequin-trimmed skirt. Test drive this combo with ankle-strap heels and sleek dangling earrings for an upcoming GNO or after-work cocktails.
5. Topshop Cropped Hoodie by Boutique ($95) + Milly Single Box Clutch ($295): Bodycons aren’t the only way to dominate the dating scene. Flaunt what you’ve got in a totally game-changing way by swapping out sultry separates for casual-cool pieces that have nothing to prove. Channel your inner street-style star by popping this pretty-in-pink hoodie over a satin slip dress and laser-cut ankle boots for a ladylike look with undeniable edge. Swipe right on a sassy single-taken box clutch that can be used as a mechanism to communicate the success of your rendez-vous with your crew.
6. Madewell Lace-Up Hoodie ($128) + J.Crew Oversized Striped Turtleneck ($45): When it’s cold AF, it’s time to double up. These two toppers will be right there on standby, waiting to give your getup that extra bit of warmth and wow-worthy edge it’s been looking for. Go the extra mile and rock ’em with a longline check coat and bright red suede booties for an afternoon of running errands or a leisurely lunch date with the girls.
7. Zara Pleated Lace Sweatshirt ($70) + Topshop Moto Floral Embroidered Mom Jeans ($110): Low-key doesn’t have to mean short on style. Dial up the drama on a tired tee-and-jeans routine by throwing a lacy hoodie and embroidered denim into the mix. Whether you’re hitting the couch or sipping matcha lattes at a local café, the chill vibes you’ll get from this duo are enough to chase away a serious case of mid-winter blues.
8. Topshop Clean Colour Block Hoodie ($45) + Warehouse Fringe Hem Dress ($116): All dressed up and nowhere to go. Get more wear out of your fanciest frocks by partnering them up with a chic hoodie or two. This bright color-block option adds a note of tough-girl edge to a fringe-flecked midi dress, rendering it daytime ready. Just add Doc Martens and modern hoops for a hint of grunge goddess flair.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)