23 Must-Have Coats to Invest in Before You Freeze Your Butt Off
“Baby, it’s cold outside…” doesn’t even begin to cut it. With the official arrival of winter mere weeks away — and temperatures taking a dive as we speak — now’s the time to buckle down and locate a winter coat that ticks all the boxes (stylish, huggable and Instababe-approved). Hesitate too long, and your size or preferred style will have already sold out and a not-so-desirable Plan B (or Plan C) might have to kick in. To ensure you don’t have to settle for a sartorial snoozer, we’ve done the legwork for ya. Instead of shelling out the moolah for a transitional quilted coat or a waist-length wool topper that’s not going to make it past December anyway, we’ve uncovered 23 long coats that pack a punch and, more importantly, promise to shield you from an upcoming cold front. Between timeless car coats that fall just above the knee and ankle-skimming puffer jackets, dressing like you’re from the North Pole won’t even be a thang this season.
1. J.Crew Collection Wool-Cashmere Duster Coat ($595): Orange you ready to take on the blustery temps in this can’t-miss duster coat? Pssst: It’s made with a luxurious wool-cashmere blend, hence the higher price point. Bet on styling it the Jenna Lyons way — in J.Crew speak, that means a chambray shirt, tailored trousers, power pumps and pretty statement jewels.
2. ASOS Made in Kenya Hooded Throw on Coat in Wool ($143): There is such a thing as spreading instant cheer wherever you go via your #COTD (coat of the day). In lieu of classic camel hues and overdone grays, this vibrant throw-on-and-go wool topper is as toasty (and colorful) as they come. Pair with a statement-making tee, cropped flares and suede burgundy-hued ankle booties for maximum impact.
3. Reformation Fletcher Jacket ($248): A blush pink coat is just the thing to cure a case of the winter blues, amirite? Hitting above the knee, this ultra-femme jacket will hold you down on unseasonably warm winter days when you don’t want to break out your bulkiest outerwear. Heading out for brunch, with tortoiseshell sunnies and chunky block heels in tow, has never looked so good.
4. Wilfred Muret Coat ($450): There’s nothing we love more than a well-calculated splurge, especially when you know it’s going to get its fair share of play time. (Repeat outfit offender status right here.) This beautiful tweed overcoat is for the old soul in all of us — get ready to swoon hard for the charming collar and classic fit that calls for tailored trousers and pearl studs.
5. YSTR Kenzie Coat ($248): Oh em gee — we’re ready to book it to the West Coast ASAP. Not only will this oversized blanket-turned-coat in disguise hold you down once the temps dip low, but it takes two seconds flat to style. Toss this bad boy over some tie-waist chambray pants and slip into some heeled ankle booties for that enviable SoCal look.
6. Pixie Market Olive Long Robe Coat ($199): Werk it in this trending military robe coat that’s guaranteed to work its magic around the clock. Team it with a chunky turtleneck sweater and a leather mini or wear it wrap style with high-waisted flea market flares and chunky clogs for instant boho flair.
7. Monki Oversized Maxi Padded Jacket With Faux Fur Collar ($166): Who’s to say a human marshmallow can’t be cute? Between the oversized maxi length, faux fur collar and sporty puffa style, this padded overcoat will hold you down for post-holiday shopping, a trip to Iceland and many a blustery morning commutes. Pair with your cheekiest pom-pom knit hat and moon boots (yes, really!) when it’s storming out.
8. Scotch & Soda Long Tailored Coat ($275): We know a tried-and-true topper when we see one. Tailored to perfection, this sleek midnight blue coat will deliver on the style front and give you an excuse to bust out your athleisure threads. Nothing says girl-on-the-go like some high-performance leggings, a lace-up sweatshirt and Adidas Superstars.
9. & Other Stories Long Fuzzy Coat ($275): Texture reigns supreme when it comes to this Fozzie Bear-inspired fuzzy coat that’s just as huggable as it looks. Top it over an intarsia knit sweater and leather culottes for your nine-to-five, before subbing in a little black dress and some ankle strap steppers for a black tie gala.
10. Monki Oversized Padded Coat ($98): Why yes, of course a millennial pink coat is in order for the Instagram-obsessed babe who’s more concerned with snapping all her cold-weather looks than actually checking the upcoming forecast. To be worn when playing hooky from work, hitting the slopes or surviving the first polar vortex of the season. You can bet on being extra cozy, whatever your plans entail.
11. Topshop Check Slouch Coat ($210): Ah, the artful slouch that keeps on giving on days you don’t quite feel like you’ve got it all together. Find the quintessential borrowed-from-the-boys silhouette — this gray check print longline coat will more than do — and you’ll never want to take it off.
12. H&M Double-Breasted Coat ($129): Unless you’re a New Yorker who swears by an all-black-errthang aesthetic, we don’t recommend a wardrobe of blasé neutrals. Enter the striking double-breasted coat that pays tribute to Andy Sachs’ infamous cerulean sweater. You best believe you’ll be stopped on the subway and complimented on the streets for your high-fashion sensibilities.
13. Front Row Shop Oversized Leopard Wool Coat ($226): Rawr is right. You’ve got the sparkly steppers, a punchy-hued saddle bag and now all that’s missing is a scene-stealing leopard print coat that will lend itself well to many a GNOs, holiday shindigs and fashionable outings. Style it alongside some high-waisted black jeans, horizontal stripes and menswear-inspired brogues for a look that would do Alexa Chung proud.
14. Front Row Shop Camel Double Breasted Longline Coat ($280): A camel coat? For winter? Groundbreaking. But actually. This double-breasted coat is less mainstream, more model-off-duty — we’re looking at you, Karlie Kloss. Pair with leather pants, mid-heel ankle boots and a signature pout for a look that slays on and off the clock.
15. COS Oversized Tweed Coat ($290): Minimalist does it right for the fashion girl who appreciates architectural silhouettes and clean lines. Take a less-is-more approach to winter dressing by teaming this collarless tweed cocoon coat with menswear-inspired loafers and a top-handle satchel.
16. H&M Wool-Blend Coat ($129): For every trend-right cover-up, you need a timeless coat that even your mom (and grandma) would approve of. What this gray wool-blend coat lacks in bells and whistles it more than makes up for in wear-everywhere appeal. With a tie-waist, this hero piece can be tossed over a crisp button-down and black culottes for the ultimate work-to-happy-hour look, or teamed with stirrup leggings, a slouchy cold-shoulder sweater and off-duty sneakers for a DGAF (because it’s too cold!) ‘tude.
17. Mango Cotton Wool-Blend Coat ($230): Can you say absolutely perfect? There’s no time like RN to embrace winter whites a la this *groundbreaking* coat that will make you look (and feel) like Beyoncé. The dramatic cut and all-around goddess appeal combine to dial up the wow factor for a season of street MVP-worthy getups.
18. Zara Long Quilted Feather Down Coat ($199): Thirty percent chance of snowfall, nothing. You’re not messing around when it comes to bundling up in the appropriate outerwear this season. This high-performance quilted down jacket gives off serious don’t-mess-around-vibes. When there’s a foot of snow on the ground and it’s time to shovel out your car, you’ll be solid gold, baby.
19. Free People Anaheim Coat ($228): Mad for plaid doesn’t even begin to describe our obsession with this beige menswear-inspired overcoat featuring oversized pockets and a streamlined silhouette. Did we mention that it channels that comfy-cozy feeling? Oh yeah. This is what you slip on for a chic excursion around the block to grab coffee or when dropping off packages at the post office.
20. ASOS Longline Coat in Patched Animal Faux Fur ($143): Fierce outerwear is non-negotiable when it comes to slaying from a.m. to p.m. — and dipping in and out of bars as a primary source of warmth. For a look that says me-ow, team this soft-to-the-touch faux fur coat with a silky slip dress, tailored black trousers and ankle boots. Let the dark green patches and oversized pockets serve as visual interest to your commuter style alongside some snazzy metallic steppers.
21. Mango Textured Wool-Blend Coat ($120): You’re in need of a versatile cloak that can double (make that triple) for the boardroom, a trip to Grammie’s and happy hour. You need something that’s refined and polished, yet casual enough for day-to-day wear. Introducing the gorgeous teal wool-blend coat that will look equally exquisite with printed trousers and d’Orsay flats as a neck-plunging velvet jumpsuit come dusk.
22. & Other Stories Wool-Blend Coat ($275): Step into Kate Middleton’s shoes for the day with this regal AF trench coat style outer layer — we’re partial to the deep eggplant hue — that would look just as at home touring Buckingham Palace as attending a winter formal. In other words, it’s a keeper. Pair with a Peter Pan collar sweater, a wool mini and noir tights for an understated chic look.
23. Cartonnier Collared Sienna Coat ($258): Practically out of a Wes Anderson flick, this retro-feeling collared coat brings to mind weekends spent in the English countryside. The ochre hue and burgundy faux fur collar will have you reaching for your cold weather-approved maxis and breaking out the occasional pinafore dress in no time.
Which of these long coats will you be snatching up before winter’s arrival? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.