If there’s one wardrobe workhorse you can depend on season after season, it’s the jeans that fit and flatter in all the right places. While we all have a favorite pair (or three) that we like to reach for without hesitation, there’s no denying that the denim landscape is constantly changing with new hybrid styles entering the scene. Think: vintage mom jeans one second, patchwork jeans the next, and now frayed hem jeans. But being spotted rocking the It fashion of the moment doesn’t amount to much if you don’t know how to style ‘em, amirite? And that’s where these 13 fearless Instababes come in with a slew of street MVP-approved ways to get the most out of your raw hem jeans.
1. NYC Girl: As any NYC girl can attest, it’s all about those streamlined basics that hold you down for both the a.m. and p.m. (we’re talking a total desk-to-drinks situation here, folks). This Instababe achieves a certain level of professionalism by juxtaposing her trend-right frayed jeans with an off-duty anorak, mirrored sunnies, and a chic fedora. Like NBD though, ‘cause city girls always manage to play it cool.
2. Fishnets FTW: Let’s just say “fishnets under everything” — including those brand spankin’ new frayed hem jeans you just picked up — is about to become your new style philosophy. Proceed to round out your cool girl-approved uniform with backless red Gucci mules and a printed blazer for an #OOTD that’s exceptionally British.
3. Chunky Combat Boots Combo: Don’t be surprised if spring ushers in a brutal wind chill that causes you to reach for your lace-up stompers (and in this Instababe’s case, an artful trench). To avoid a frumpy cold-weather look, she contrasts her ladylike topper and chunky boots with a pair of relaxed frayed-hem jeans that are slay-worthy in their own right.
4. Downtown Cool: YAS. It’s always the downtown gals that do it best. Seattle blogger Chelsea Lankford makes a mean case for pairing your tattered hem jeans with old-school slip-on Vans. Throw in a camel coat, a vintage rocker tee, and some classic Ray-Bans for a dialed-down look that hits the mark.
5. Laid-back Chic: You gotta love the ease of a low-rise raw-hem jean when styled alongside an effortless striped tee, and a designer bag to boot. Even at 33 weeks pregnant, this blogger babe makes it look hella easy.
6. Logo Mania: Minimalist does it as far as breakout blogger Reese Blutstein is concerned. For starters, we’re obsessed with her high-waisted mom jeans featuring a frayed hem. Her ugly-pretty glove shoes, layered Adidas logo tee, and “power stance” are ready to take on world domination.
7. Customization Is Key: A few strategic rips to an old pair of upcycled frayed hem jeans, and you’ve practically got an original creation on your hands. Besides, since when can you go wrong with a little extra attention directed to your booty? You can’t. Just add stacked heels for after-hours appeal.
8. Red Haute: When you’ve got the look, you’ve GOT it. Cue Arielle Charnas (HBIC behind Something Navy) in a striped turtleneck, a statement-making coat, and red haute ankle boots. Note how the subtle crop flare elongates her legs and complements her stompers to perfection.
9. West Coast Babe: If you’re an LA babe, then it’s practically an unspoken rule that you pair your raw hem jeans with a Gucci logo tee and minimalist slides. Ashley Madekwe does just that for a slay-worthy look with unlimited on- and off-the-clock potential.
10. Weekend-Ready: When in doubt, do less. Weekend errands? Brunch with pals? Save the frumpy sweats for an upcoming Netflix binge-watching sesh. This foolproof outfit combo consisting of a huggable sweatshirt, backless mules, and boss babe-approved shades is guaranteed to keep you looking borderline fierce while out and about.
11. Alternative Edge: Naturally, fringe-hemmed jeans look ah-mazing with a leather moto jacket and studded skimmers. Duh. But then again, Julie Sariñana’s super blogger status (and covetable designer bag) may or may not have something to do with it.
12. Haute Hem: Bring the Paris swagger like “whoa” with a next-level OTT bomber (ALL the frills, please), fly tennies, and frayed denim. Ceaselessly chic doesn’t even begin to describe the level of sartorial awesomeness that Chiara Ferragni manages to deliver in one stylish street snap.
13. Camo Combo: When you’ve got a man-repelling look on your hands, you know you’re onto something. Between her tough-girl camo topper, Chanel cap-toe ballerinas, and chic red ascot scarf, this babe’s got the look of an updated French woman down pat. Nothing blasé about it.
How will you be styling your frayed hem jeans this spring? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.