How to Wear Polka Dots and Still Look Like a Grown Up
While the world was collectively celebrating #girlpower this weekend, there was one super, major absolutely important holiday on Sunday that managed to slip through the cracks. That’s right — we’re talking about National Polka Dot Day on January 22. The reality is that we don’t need a special day to proudly display our fave spotted finds. Revamped retro patterns (think gingham, polka dots and floral prints) have been on our radar for quite some time now. And we’ve spotted (see what we did there?) uber-stylish celebs like Taylor Swift and Emma Stone (who recently showed up to the BAFTA Tea Party in a dotted Diane von Furstenberg dress) getting in on this Minnie Mouse-loved trend. So, to help you get your spot, we scouted 11 perfectly polka dotted pieces (all under $100) that you can wear without fear of looking like a kid playing dress up.
1. Topshop Dobby Spot Mesh Frill Blouse ($85): This spotted mesh blouse and frilled cami duo is just what we’ve been looking for to impress during those marathon Saturdays with your girls (you know what we’re talking about). Pair with black skinnies and low boots for a look that slays morning, noon and night.
2. Eight Sixty Polka Dot Wrap Top ($72): Flared sleeves and a pretty polka dot pattern give this wrap blouse a major dose of whimsy. Style with a suede mini and statement-making choker — and don’t forget to strike a pose.
3. ASOS Sweatshirt in Polka Dot With Contrast Tipping ($31): Looking for a laid-back OOTD? We’ve got you covered with this crewneck sweatshirt, featuring an allover polka dot print. All you need are some boyfriend jeans and Chucks to complete the look.
4. Chooka Flash Dot Reflective Waterproof Rain Boot ($75): Turn up the charm on your rainy-day gear with these spotted wellies. And the pretty pink color is like a ray of sunshine on a dreary day.
5. Lisakai Polka Dot Dress ($59): Ladies, start your spring wardrobe planning! While it might be a little nippy to wear right now, come May we guarantee you’re going to be rocking this off-the-shoulder mini every chance you get.
6. Closet Polka Dot Cap Sleeve Midi Dress ($83): Go full-on retro with a black and white midi dress. Featuring cap sleeves, a boat neck, side pockets and a waistband with bow-back closure, this little number is ladylike-chic at its best.
7. TOMS Polka Dot Alpargata Slip-On ($55): We love a pair of comfort all-purpose kicks, and these metallic spotted TOMS are exactly what you need to step up your spring shoe game. Plus, you can totally wear them now, as long as there’s not snow on the ground.
8. Forever 21 Polka Dot Tie-Neck Shirt ($20): Polka dots and a self-tie sash — what’s not to love?! Pair with faded skinnies and suede booties for a ’70s-inspired ensemble.
9. Warehouse Polka Dot Pleated Hem Shift Dress ($98): Every fashionista needs a statement party dress in her wardrobe. This shift delivers high-street style at a totally affordable price point. Details like a pleated hem just add to its sophisticated allure.
10. Kate Spade New York Polka Dot Reusable Shopping Tote ($16): Eco-friendly and stylish? Yes, please! This tote will take you from the supermarket to the cycling studio — and everywhere in between.
11. Vanessa Mooney Nara Red and Black Polka Dot Skinny Scarf ($40): Give any outfit a pick-me-up with this red and black polka dot scarf. The lightweight fabric means that it’ll look cute well into the warmer months.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via John Kopaloff/Getty)