11 Ways to Pull Off Shorts at Work
It’s a rule of nature: When the temps start to climb, the hemlines start to rise. And your summer capsule wardrobe is jam-packed with enviable denim skirts, mini dresses and high-waisted shorts to keep you cool (and looking fly) all season long. You’ve basically got this whole warm-weather dressing game on lock — at least when it comes to off-duty. Shorts are the foundation of your summer uniform and an essential component to endless #OOTDs, but during the work week they’re downright questionable… until now. The classically controversial bottom is, in fact, office appropriate. This is not a drill.
1. Rachel Antonoff Organ Garden Snuffles Top ($260) + Mango Cotton-Blend Shorts ($50): Styling an outfit that reads strictly business doesn’t have to mean donning a boring white button-down. Ditch the neutrals and spice up a set of sophisticated belted shorts with a frilly floral top that’s both elegant and fun. Round out the outfit with block-heel loafers and statement studs.
2. H&M Embroidered Jacket ($70) + Eggs High Waist Floral Print Shorts ($149): For a summery twist on a classic suit that will earn you serious style cred at the water cooler, employ a bit of pattern play. Structured floral shorts in a high-waist silhouette take the place of traditional trousers, while an embroidered kimono makes an It girl-approved alternative to the standard blazer. Whether you team this trend-right combo with a short-sleeve poplin top or a bow-neck blouse, you really can’t go wrong.
3. Finders Keepers Power Hour Top ($140) + Topshop Floral Print Shorts ($60): In a creative office, color is key. Laid-back dress codes mean you can take your shortened-up on-duty look to the next level with eye-catching prints and high-octane color. Make a pair of printed tropical shorts pop alongside a red hot top with swingy bell sleeves. Bring the #girlboss factor up a notch with a neat topknot, metallic platform Oxfords and a “Let’s do this!” attitude.
4. Babaton Percival Vest ($225) + Ace&Jig Drifter Culotte Pants ($250): If you’re still feeling iffy about trading out your suit for a pair of shorts, try this combo on for size. Culottes are the ultimate compromise with their ultra appropriate length and sleek styling. Wear them with a chic sleeveless blazer that offers all the polish you want without compromising on comfort, then throw a mock neck tank and a carefully curated arm party into the mix FTW.
5. Harleyford Blazer by Unique ($435) + Reality Studio Gena Shorts ($157): Fact: Blazers make everything better — and that goes for your favorite pair of shorts too. Pop an anything-but-average blazer, like this striped stunner, on top of embellished, tailored shorts to instantly take them into most stylish employee territory. For maximum impact, don’t forget to mix in a few statement accessories.
6. Zara Oversized Poplin Shirt ($40) + J.Crew Brushstroke Marigold Short ($70): Okay, so maybe calling a white button-down boring was a bit harsh. The wear-with-anything top is just what a pair of bright-and-bold shorts call for; they’re key for creating balance and mellowing out look-at-me features that might draw the side-eye from the boss. To keep the look playful (and true to your fun-loving personality), opt for a funky patchwork number, colorful pointed-toe slingbacks and a classy oversized watch.
7. River Island Geometric Print Top ($48) + COS Speckled Denim Trouser Skirt ($99): Distressed denim is a definite no, but lightweight chambray totally gets the green light, as long as it’s partnered with an elegant silhouette. This trouser skirt does exactly that, making it a shoo-in for your shorts-on-the-clock look. Pair it with a geometric tank and metallic choker for a casual Friday ensemble that’s downright fierce.
8. Mango Suede Jacket ($270) + Zara Bird Print Flowing Bermuda Shorts ($40): Structured styles and elegant fabrics are the fast track to polish, but flowy silhouettes can totally nail it too. Make it work with a palette of neutral hues and unexpected takes on refined office essentials, like a suede kimono and pleated high-waisted shorts. Minimalist jewelry and block-heeled pumps are key for upping the #girlboss factor.
9. Toit Volant Poppy Top ($98) + 1-01 Babaton Joan Short ($150): Don’t let conservative shorts prevent you from having fun with your look. Add visual intrigue to your getup with contrasting tops that create a color block effect and fun accessories like yellow suede mules, an architectural tote and baubles with runway-ready appeal.
10. J.Crew Short-Sleeve Popover Shirt ($88) + H&M Silk Shorts ($60): Silk fabric and a neutral hue make these understated shorts a must for the corporate world. While they’d kill it with an embellished navy button-down and leather slides (swoon), we’re digging the candy stripes on this short-sleeve shirt. DO add dazzling drop earrings and platform t-strap sandals for an Insta-worthy ensemble that’ll show your crew what’s up.
11. Ganni Francis Top ($230) + See by Chloé Pleated Crepe Culottes ($158): Like your favorite midi skirt only better, this pleated number is crazy versatile, and lightweight to boot. Your new go-to bottom come Monday morning? We think yes. Styled alongside a striped sleeveless top, it’ll give your daytime getup just the right balance of ladylike feels and modern muse edge. Take it there with embellished slides and a leather backpack.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.