9 Essential Style Lessons We Learned from Issa Rae
Brains, beauty, and incredible creativity — actress Issa Rae has it all. But beyond her solid resume (she’s well on her way to becoming a heavy-hitting writer, director, and producer) the Insecure creator and actress has got some serious style. And we’re not talking the type of style that screams of a professional touch. Rae’s approach to fashion is refreshingly relatable (something we totally dig). To inspire your own adventure into sartorial authenticity, we’re sharing nine essential style standards Rae lives by below.
1. Fashion is an art. Work that backdrop, girl. Rae knows that a killer piece of outerwear is all you need to usher a classic after-hours lewk into full-blown style goddess territory, especially when paired with bold baubles and a showstopping ‘do. (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/Getty)
2. Sweats can be chic. Keeping cozy doesn’t have to mean parting ways with your style sensibilities. Take cues from the Awkward Black Girl star and stick to a neutral palette and clean lines for a getup that’s equal parts easygoing and elegant. (Photo via Dia Dipasupil/Getty)
3. Slay without bearing it all. A bit of glitz and glamour are all you need to nail an undeniably OMG-worthy look. Rae keeps things classy with a modest silhouette while delivering plenty of wow-factor with the help of shimmery sequins and sleek accessories. (Photo via David Crotty and Patrick McMullan/Getty)
4. Less is more. Let a bold print or a sultry silhouette do all the talking by keeping the extras to a minimum à la Rae, who will host the CFDA Fashion Awards 2018. If you’re looking for a bit of extra oomph, opt for an elevated updo instead. (Photo via Tommaso Boddi/Getty)
5. Embrace bold color. Minimalists, consider this your official call to take a walk on the colorful side. Ease into your new style status quo by sticking to a single shade and adding drama with texture and daring silhouettes. (Photo via Sean Zanni and Patrick McMullan/Getty)
6. Ditch the LBD. Sure, LBDs will get you through any event without a hitch, but why settle when there are so many other avenues to explore? Case in point: Rae recently strutted her stuff to stunning effect on the red carpet in printed flared trousers and a sophisticated bell-sleeve sweater. (Photo via Rich Polk/Getty)
7. It’s all about balance. When rockin’ something borderline risqué, like this sheer top, follow Rae’s lead and team it with high-waisted bottoms or a structured jacket to keep things feeling refined. (Photo via Michael Loccisano/Getty)
8. Sequins FTW. Chase away a case of the mid-week blahs or instantly make your day-time duds feel after-dark ready with a sequin-studded kimono and a swipe of dramatic lipstick. Trust us when we say this move is 100 percent a hack we want to try. (Photo via David Becker/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.