This Is Kate Middleton’s Favorite Place to Shop – Do You Know it?
Is it just us or do you also get tweety birds singing around your head whenever you think of Kate Middleton? And what’s not to swoon about? That gravity defying bouncy hair, her ability to kill it on the cricket field while wearing heels, and above all else, her seriously graceful sense of style. It seems whenever the duchess of Cambridge steps out in something fresh from a royal shopping spree we (+ every woman in the world) wants to get the look. But unlike other celeb lookalikes — cheaply made versions of the runway-worthy real thing — you can actually afford to buy the exact same garments Middleton wears. Kate’s got a taste for high street fashions, and we bet you’d never guess her fave shop of choice.
It’s not the slick stylings of Cos or even the preppy flair of Banana Republic (and no, it’s not anything totally bonkers like American Apparel. Lol!). It’s a UK-retailer called Whistles, a womenswear brand with the urban cool of Zara + the relaxed vibe of Madewell + the polish of J. Crew, and you’re about to go crazy for it.
Whistles isn’t just going to give a major boost to your work time wardrobe, its styles are more multi-faceted than that. Yes, it’s conservative enough for Middleton to wear on the arm of Prince William at regal events and even in her iconic engagement photo (yes, that dreamy cream-colored blouse is a Whistles find!), but the brand doesn’t shy away from leaning fashion-forward. Structural pieces and minimalist silhouettes flood the current “New In” page, giving you a chance to get snapped for your fave street style blog as often as Kate does for the tabloids. And its mid-range prices, like $145 for a crepe top and $325 for a modern midi, mean that you’ll really be able to afford a few key pieces per season, plus have cash on hand to scoop up the next WKW (What Kate Wore) gem.
Middleton consistently nails elegant looks day after day, and Whistles just might be her secret weapon. Lucky for us, the brand already has a US-friendly website complete with free shipping (hear that, ASOS?). Plus, they’ve got big plans to expand their brick and mortars stateside, and it’s already started testing the waters across the pond with pop-up shops currently set up in three select Bloomingdale’s locations, including the flagship NYC storefront. While you wait for a Whistles to open in a city near you, why not take advantage of that free shipping now with 10 styles sure to give your wardrobe a refreshingly royal makeover.
1. Kaleidoscope Print Palysuit ($225): This hyper-patterned playsuit is so wearable: Rock it to work under a boxy blazer, or take it out on the festival grounds with your fave pair of jelly sandals. Plus, its structured design was made to flatter just about every body type. Major score.
2. Carla Beaded Dress ($325): We’re calling this duck egg blue dream the next Kate-approved piece. Its midi length is modern, its sporty back is young and its embellished collar is fit for a duchess.
3. Meghan Sculptured Crepe Dress ($115): Forget radiant orchid, this bright green hue is shaping up to be our favorite color of the year. It gives this sculptural shift dress a playful vibe that makes it easy to wear + easy to accessorize.
4. Lori Sheer Paneled Top ($145): You’re looking at the day-to-night top of your dreams. Wear it with cropped trousers to your 9-to-5, then kill it at cocktail hour with a pleated midi.
5. Sequined Top ($225): The queen of all fancy sweatshirts has arrived, in all its sparkly sequined glory. All-over sequins has a tendency to look either terribly tacky or glitzed to the max, and this white cropped top strikes a mindblowingly chic balance.
6. Shona Stripe Jersey Dress ($155): Seriously, we could see just about every British It girl making this number all her own, from preppy Kate (+ a fancy hat) to so-cool Alexa Chung (in leather Birkenstocks) and to boho bombshell Sienna Miller (with fringy accessories). We’re floored by its versatility.
7. Split Hem Midi Dress ($145): The LBD takes a posh turn with this split hem jersey dress, and we’re loving the more casual twist. It still looks killer on a night out with strappy sandals and a tangerine lip.
8. Esther Animal Print Jacket ($425): Whistles nails modern animal print with these perfectly washed-out cheetah spots. The texture and vintage-inspired cocoon cut makes it look even more luxe.
9. Jolie Logo Sweatshirt ($75): Hey there, pretty! Take the sporty trend to the next level and pair this graphic jumper with distressed boyfriend jeans and heels, or an envelope skirt and oxfords.
10. Ellie Color Block Pleat Skirt ($195): A mid-rise pleated skirt is a must-have in your summer wardrobe. Wear it with a tee and pair of sliders on the weekends, or hack the look: pull it all the way up, belt it, and you’ve got yourself one super sexy mini dress that even Kate would approve of.
So are you nuts for these Kate-approved looks, too? Where would you wear these polished looks? Tell us which pieces you’d rock in the comments below.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!