10 Thanksgiving Books Your Child Will Thank You For
Turkey time is fast approaching, and that means you have cranberries to sauce, pumpkins to pie, and stuffing to… well, stuff. All while entertaining your two-year-old, of course. No problem, right? Look, mom, you need a break! Put the baster down right this instant and swap that cookbook for a children’s book. Check out these Thanksgiving reads that your toddler will totally thank you for.
1. Five Silly Turkeys by Salina Yoon ($8): Your kiddo is all about being silly. And so is this book! Even though your tot isn’t ready to develop major math skills yet, they can get a jump-start with a basic counting book.
2. Llama Llama Gives Thanks by Anna Dewdney ($6): It’s time to give thanks with Llama Llama. The colorful characters are celebrating Thanksgiving just like your tot will — with super-sweet treats and all the yumminess that the holiday has to offer.
3. Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving by Kimberley and James Dean ($6): It’s the first Thanksgiving, Pete-style! Not only will your little one get a kick out of the story, but they’ll also delight in the hands-on lift-the-flap style.
4. Where Is Baby’s Turkey? by Karen Katz ($7): If your toddler is totally into the lift-a-flap style, here’s another Thanksgiving pick. Your curious kiddo can play hide and seek, looking for Baby’s plush turkey.
5. This Little Turkey by Aly Fronis and Migy Blanco ($6): It’s the classic This Little Piggy — but with turkeys instead. Your toddler can check out the sweet pictures as you read aloud about how the turkeys prep for the big holiday.
6. Fancy Nancy: Our Thanksgiving Banquet by Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser ($5): Nancy and her entire family are getting ready for a Thanksgiving feast. On top of the cute story, this book comes complete with stickers. And you know your little one will be all over that.
7. Pinkalicious: Thanksgiving Helper by Victoria Kann ($7): Your Pinkalicious fan will enjoy everything about this Thanksgiving read starring her favorite characters.
8. Thankful by Eileen Spinelli and Archie Preston ($8): This book is filled with whimsy. Your child can learn about thankfulness while poring over the imaginative illustrations.
9. Thanksgiving Rules by Laurie Friedman and Teresa Murfin ($18): Older toddlers who are beginning to dig a little deeper into what the holiday is about can learn a thing or two from this easy read. Just follow the 10 simple rules, and you’ve got turkey day covered!
10. The Very Stuffed Turkey by Katharine Kenah and Binny Talib ($7): Turkey has not one, not two, not three, but five different homes to go to on Thanksgiving Day. Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a predicament. Your tot can guess if Turkey will make it through all those meals, one right after the other.
Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving book you read with your kids? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)