Turkey time is fast approaching, and that means you have cranberries to sauce, pumpkins to pie, and stuffing to… well, stuff. All while entertaining your two-year-old, of course. No problem, right? Look, mom, you need a break! Put the baster down right this instant and swap that cookbook for a children’s book. Check out these Thanksgiving reads that your toddler will totally thank you for.
1. Five Silly Turkeys by Salina Yoon ($8): Your kiddo is all about being silly. And so is this book! Even though your tot isn’t ready to develop major math skills yet, they can get a jump-start with a basic counting book.
2. Llama Llama Gives Thanks by Anna Dewdney ($6): It’s time to give thanks with Llama Llama. The colorful characters are celebrating Thanksgiving just like your tot will — with super-sweet treats and all the yumminess that the holiday has to offer.
3. Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving by Kimberley and James Dean ($6): It’s the first Thanksgiving, Pete-style! Not only will your little one get a kick out of the story, but they’ll also delight in the hands-on lift-the-flap style.
4. Where Is Baby’s Turkey? by Karen Katz ($7): If your toddler is totally into the lift-a-flap style, here’s another Thanksgiving pick. Your curious kiddo can play hide and seek, looking for Baby’s plush turkey.
5. This Little Turkey by Aly Fronis and Migy Blanco ($6): It’s the classic This Little Piggy — but with turkeys instead. Your toddler can check out the sweet pictures as you read aloud about how the turkeys prep for the big holiday.
6. Fancy Nancy: Our Thanksgiving Banquet by Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser ($5): Nancy and her entire family are getting ready for a Thanksgiving feast. On top of the cute story, this book comes complete with stickers. And you know your little one will be all over that.
7. Pinkalicious: Thanksgiving Helper by Victoria Kann ($7): Your Pinkalicious fan will enjoy everything about this Thanksgiving read starring her favorite characters.
8. Thankful by Eileen Spinelli and Archie Preston ($8): This book is filled with whimsy. Your child can learn about thankfulness while poring over the imaginative illustrations.
9. Thanksgiving Rules by Laurie Friedman and Teresa Murfin ($18): Older toddlers who are beginning to dig a little deeper into what the holiday is about can learn a thing or two from this easy read. Just follow the 10 simple rules, and you’ve got turkey day covered!
10. The Very Stuffed Turkey by Katharine Kenah and Binny Talib ($7): Turkey has not one, not two, not three, but five different homes to go to on Thanksgiving Day. Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a predicament. Your tot can guess if Turkey will make it through all those meals, one right after the other.
Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving book you read with your kids? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)