THIS Is the Trend That Has Been Secretly Slaying All Season Long
Sometimes the best trends are the ones that are so subtle that they fly under the radar until — BAM — they’re EVERYWHERE. We’ve seen it happen with silk scarves, grandma-approved sweater vests, mini bags and even tulle. The latest where-the-heck-did-that-come-from trend just so happens to be one you’re likely already familiar with: all lace-up everything. Falling right in line with the ever-present ’70s fever that is currently dominating the fashion industry (with a little punk flavor thrown in), the trend goes way back and shows no sign of taking a backseat anytime soon. The major difference? This season’s iterations are edgier, bolder and straight-up slayin’ thanks to the likes of Proenza Schouler, DKNY, Fendi and more. Scroll on to find 15 Cool-girl ways to pull off the trend.
1. With Friends Lace Up Skinny ($98): Mirror, mirror on the wall, who are the sassiest pants of them all? All signs point to these leather-look stunners that have their heart set on your GNO routine. Soften their bad-ass edge (only if you want to, that is) with a flowy, feminine blouse and a berry colored pout for a look that reads heartbreaker in training.
2. Free People Velvet Lace Up Army Jacket ($198): We salute you. Serving up the ultimate blend of dainty and don’t-mess details, this not-your-average army jacket is the stuff style dreams are made of. Team it with zip-up sweaters and plaid trousers for an androgynously elegant look.
3. Missguided Chunky Lace-Up Side Rib Midi Skirt ($31): A skirt that lends itself to athleisure and office-ready looks? Sign us up! Balance out the oh-la-la edge of this body-skimming skirt with an oversized sweatshirt and high top sneakers for a downtown-meets-uptown look. Bonus points for asymmetric earrings and a fistful of sleek stacking rings. Get it, girl.
4. J.Crew Collection Bonded Lace-Up Sweater ($198): All laced up and ready to go. Perfect for leisurely lunch dates and sipping hot apple cider by the fire, this sunny yellow sweater was practically made with laid-back weekend adventures in mind. For the ultimate off-duty getup, style it alongside high-waisted jeans, a silk scarf and block-heel ankle boots. Heritage jackets and wide brim hats come highly recommended.
5. Adidas Originals Side Lace Top ($55): Who doesn’t love a tee that kills it both at the studio and in the streets? Between getting your namaste on and afternoons spent running errands, this side-stitched tee brings its A-game to every #OOTD. Team it with leather leggings, statement sneakers and a longline bomber jacket for a Gigi-approved ensemble that is ready for anything.
6. H&M Ankle Boots With Lacing ($50): If achieving It-girl status is on your agenda, these are the boots you want in your corner. Between the lace-up back and curved block heel, they’re practically unstoppable as far as matters of style are concerned. Rock ’em at the office with a go-with-the-flow midi skirt and ribbed turtleneck, not forgetting a few look-at-me details — like a statement cuff styled boldly over your sleeve — that are guaranteed to make you the talk of the water cooler for the day.
7. H&M Sweatshirt Dress ($30): This just in: Your go-to sweatshirt just got a major upgrade. A longer hem and an asymmetric stitch detail turn the off-duty essential into the ultimate one-and-done piece. Layer it over a sheer tulle tunic and chunky ankle boots for a badass ensemble that reads girl next door gone bad.
8. Nasty Gal All Tied Up Bodysuit ($48): Boring isn’t in your vocabulary, which is exactly why your basics pack a punch. Case in point: this lace-up bodysuit that will add instant allure to everything from joggers to ballet-beautiful skirts. For a GNO getup that will go down in the books, tuck it into printed wide-leg trousers, then proceed to pair with shimmery chandelier earrings and a leather biker jacket. Bonus points for a statement clutch and come-hither pout.
9. 3.1 Phillip Lim Lace-Up Detail Coat ($1,183): SERIOUS splurge right here, but if you’re looking for a piece of outerwear that perfectly balances timeless appeal with cutting-edge cool, this number is it. And considering it’ll go with everything in your closet, you’ll get major bang for your buck. The cost-per-wear makes this topper practically pay for itself.
10. Free People Bilboa Layering Top ($48): Late night poetry slams at your fave hole in the wall and leisurely brunch dates with your best gal pals call for a laid-back tee with plenty of panache. Enter the answer to all of your fashion prayers: This stitch-sleeve tee is simple yet stunning and looks downright DDG styled alongside cropped jeans, ankle boots and an embroidered overcoat. The only thing missing? An embellished pouch bag laced with old world glamour.
11. Topshop Moto Lace Up Black Jamie Jeans ($92): In a word? Badass. These babies are a shoo-in for every upcoming concert on your iCal. Channel your inner Joan Jet and team these lace-up trousers with patent pointed-toe boots, a classic band tee and longline blazer.
12. J.O.A. Lace-Up Sweater ($66): Snuggling up never looked so good. Take the trend down the cozy route with this knit oversized sweater that would look just as amazing with leather-look joggers and embroidered velvet loafers as it would with a printed pencil skirt and architectural pumps.
13. H&M Top With Lacing ($18): Plain white tees just aren’t your thing, and girl, that’s totally cool. This souped up number is more your speed with peek-a-boo slits and saucy lace-up detailing. Ditch your Stan Smiths for a solid statement sandal and sock combo and slip this effortless number over a metallic mini and bomber jacket for an athleisure-goes-glam look.
14. French Connection Rib Lace Up Tube Skirt ($98): Keep the outfit blahs at bay with this trend-right midi skirt that’s the ultimate in style goals. Let your inner French girl take the fashion wheel and rock it with a faux-fur-trimmed sweatshirt, platform loafers and a sleek choker for just the right amount of oomph. Day-to-night dressing officially in the bag.
15. Express Lace-Up Side Sexy Stretch Legging ($50): Love the lace-up trend, but subscribe to a no-frills kind of aesthetic? These throw-on-and-go leggings are calling your name. Enlist them for your get-fit routine (and let the compliments roll in at spin) or toss ’em on with a sweater dress for Saturday afternoon errands. It’s that simple.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.