22 Statement-Making Tulle Pieces You Can Actually Wear IRL
Ballet flats are not dead! In fact, if the latest ballerina-inspired trend is any indication, it won’t be long before you’re reaching for your prized lace-up ballet flats and twirl-worthy tutus for an Instababe-approved look with major right now appeal. Think more street style star, less polished and poised. Still skeptical? You’d be ah-mazed at the transformative potential of an everyday tulle skirt when it’s teamed with iconic Doc Martens or a come-hither bodysuit. Scroll down for 22 statement-making ballet-chic style essentials that will have you channeling your inner Black Swan and #winning in the style department this fall.
1. ASOS Tulle Prom Skirt With Multi Layers ($81): Now here’s a Carrie Bradshaw moment just waiting to happen. Pair this lavish, plum-colored tulle skirt with a denim jacket and metallic steppers for a strikingly chic look that can totally hang in the daytime.
2. J.Crew Polka-Dot Tulle-Trimmed Striped Jersey Top ($100): This just in: Your beloved Breton stripes just got a major upgrade. The polka dot tulle underlay is not only delightfully unexpected, but it’s a total game-changer for preppy (and non-preppy) girls everywhere. In this instance, more really is more.
3. Zara Patch Tulle T-Shirt ($30): Dreamy tulle gets a tough-girl makeover with this sheer t-shirt that’s been blinged out with rad sequin patches. Ditch your pointe shoes for some Yeezys and slip this bad boy over a white tee and high-performance leggings for an athleisure look.
4. FP x Southern Slip ($98): Lazy girls, rejoice! Lounge-worthy Sundays are about to get a whole lot more chic thanks to this dainty tulle slip that can be worn beyond the bedroom. Top it off with an oversized grandpa cardigan, over-the-knee socks and a delicate layering necklace for that coveted comfy-cozy feeling.
5. Bailey 44 Dégradé Tulle Skirt ($187): Turn down the chance to rock a Degas-inspired tulle skirt to the boardroom? Not on our watch. Practically a work of art in itself, this avant-garde creation — accented with a midnight blue ombre design — will give you an excuse to play dress-up on a Monday. Power pumps and a borrowed-from-the-boys blazer are practically required.
6. Zara Gathered Tulle Dress ($40): A romantic fall engagement shoot or rustic-chic brunch calls for a tulle dress that can transition from a.m. to p.m. Edge up this sea green ankle-length dress with a leather biker jacket and combat boots, or go full-on boho with a flower crown and an oversized fisherman sweater.
7. Zara Frilly Tulle Top ($36): Frills for the daytime? You betcha! Add a little extra pizzazz to your off-duty uniform, consisting of sleek leather joggers and casual pullovers, with this sheer tulle top that demands attention. Transition it for after-hours with a messy top knot and ‘90s-esque hoop earrings.
8. Pull&Bear Tulle Overlay Midi Skirt ($32): Rest assured you don’t have to be heading to barre class to embrace your inner ballerina this season. Introducing the nude tulle skirt that will inspire you to go minimal when it comes to your girly side. Play up that feminine flair with a marled cable knit sweater (layer it over a chambray shirt, natch) and some bow-topped skimmers.
9. Opening Ceremony Tulle Midi Dress ($425): Take the model-off-duty look to new heights with this sultry black tulle slip dress that would do RiRi proud. Be it Halloweekend or date night, this exquisite frock will get plenty of mileage during formal season. Now if only we could snag a pair of Miu Miu’s coveted leather ballerinas for instantaneous cool-girl appeal.
10. Boohoo Metallic Foil Spot Tulle Skirt ($44): Live out your fairy-tale ending with this fab tulle skirt featuring metallic polka dots that’s sure to dazzle at a fall fête. Opt for streamlined pieces — like a silk cami, pearl studs and d’Orsay pumps — for a look that’s modern-day ballerina at its best.
11. Ted Baker Rahele Pearly Petal Tulle Skirt ($369): Don’t let the fall foliage stop you from channeling your ethereal side at a boho barn wedding in the countryside or a fancy dinner party. Team this stunning petal print tulle skirt with chunky block heels and a crop top for an ultra-femme look that’s so RN.
12. Forever 21 Contemporary Bell-Sleeve Top ($20): Keep the outfit blahs away with this trend-right crop top that’s downright witchy. Hint, hint: It could very well play into your upcoming Halloween costume. The tulle bell sleeves will lend just the right amount of oomph to a pencil skirt or high-waisted skinnies.
13. J.Crew Tulle-Hem Top ($60): Not too girly, not too frilly, but just right. Come sweater weather, this navy top featuring a playful tulle hem will give you a reason to break out the backless loafers and waxed field jackets. More contemporary and feminine than over the top, it’ll look just as polished with boyfriend jeans as a wear-everywhere mini.
14. LC Lauren Conrad Runway Collection Tiered Tulle Maxi Skirt ($78): Leave it to Lauren Conrad to design the most DDG blush pink tulle maxi skirt… EVER. Between the pleated tiers and the high-drama tulle, this runway-inspired creation has major bridesmaid potential (take note, brides-to-be). Slip it on with nude ankle-strap steppers and pull your hair into a sleek chignon for a swoon-inducing look.
15. Topshop Tulle Lace Up Maxi Dress ($240): We may not have anywhere to wear it yet, but you best believe this berry-hued tulle maxi will be in heavy rotation soon enough. Complement the intricate strappy neckline with dazzling chandelier earrings for a slew of upcoming holiday parties, fall soirees and red carpet-worthy events. Lace-up ghillies are obligatory.
16. Scotch & Soda Tulle Varsity Skirt ($96): Tulle skirts and varsity jackets are like PB and J — they just go together. For a look that’s part collegiate, part athleisure, don’t hesitate to style this sporty striped tulle skirt with a metallic bomber, Chuck Taylors and a graphic tee. Not just restricted to the sidelines, this flawless #OOTD will take the street-chic scene by storm too.
17. Maeve Fleurs du Nuit Tulle Skirt ($148): Enchanting much? It’s your birthday and you can wear a poofy embroidered tulle skirt if you want to. All we ask is that you throw some lace-up ballerinas into the mix for a look that’s sheer perfection. Non-traditional brides will especially be drawn to the timeless A-line silhouette for their big day.
18. Rare London Tulle Dress ($68): Step aside, go-to LBD — there’s a new little black dress in town. Get the party started with this twirl-worthy frock that will straight-up slay at any number of black tie affairs or cocktail parties. If the plunging neckline doesn’t make an entrance, then the fancy tulle sure will.
19. Nasty Gal Vintage Tulle for the Summer Dress ($128): When it’s fall and you’re still in a summer state of mind, the only thing to do is book a getaway to the tropics. Toss this vintage yellow tulle cover-up over an itty-bitty white bikini and Birks, and let the beach vibes take over.
20. Boohoo Amelia Crochet Trim Tulle Skirt ($35): Dress it up or pare it down — there’s more to this white crochet tulle skirt than meets the eye. Toss it on alongside a metallic bodysuit, Chelsea boots and a studded mini bucket bag for a downtown look that’s edgy and sophisticated at the same time. Nailed it.
21. Reclaimed Vintage Tulle Midi Skirt ($81): Why NOT don a blue Cinderella-esque tulle skirt for a night out on the town or, our personal favorite, just because? Reach style-MVP status by pairing it with a statement-making sweatshirt and white tennies. Dressing down has never looked so good.
22. For Love & Lemons Mix Maxi Dress ($352): Dial up the sex appeal with this show-stopping peach-hued maxi that will get you noticed for ALL the right reasons. Not only does it check all the boxes (hello, risqué neckline, allover lace and embroidered tulle), but it’s made for boho babes with modern sensibilities. A felt fedora, faux suede lariat choker and chunky throwback clogs are non-negotiable for a look that’s straight-up ’70s-chic.
Will you embrace the ballerina trend this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.