If you haven’t noticed, we’ve been crushing hard over Laverne Cox’s edgy style as of late. And for good reason. It takes major gusto and conviction to pull off each head-turning look with as much confidence as she does. While celeb-inspired cutouts may not top the list of trends you have hanging in your closet, our advice (in the words of Tim Gunn) is to “make it work.” From sweet to sultry, these 20 cutout styles would most definitely receive Laverne’s seal of approval.
1. Cutout Printed Maxi Dress ($298): Color yourself happy in this rainbow maxi with cutouts that subtly peek out on the sides. We dare you to channel anything other than positive vibes while sporting this beachy boho look.
2. Tropicana Cutout Dress ($88): Book that exotic getaway STAT, because the tropical dress of your dreams has arrived. We’re especially digging the peekaboo action going on in the center.
3. Glamorous Chiquita Cutout Bodycon Dress ($58): It’s all about the bodycon, baby. In Laverne’s world, more is definitely more. Take note from her style repertoire and rock this fierce orange cutout dress with as much sass as you got.
4. Black Cutout Dress ($145): Are we seeing double here? We’re pretty sure that Laverne would rock this bodycon dress with a plunging neckline in a heartbeat.
5. Splice Bodycon Dress ($58): A splice here, a splice there — who knew that cutouts could be so subtle, yet completely showy at the same time? Not us.
6. Cutout Bodycon Dress ($20): Add this little white scuba dress to your summer wardrobe today. While it may not be the most modest option, we have a feeling that Laverne wouldn’t mind. The only thing missing is a stunning body chain.
7. Cutout Racerback Top ($25): Back on fleek. Have you checked out those cutouts? This racerback style is a stellar example of business in the front and partay in the back.
8. Strappy Bikini Top ($62): What’s neon with cutouts all over? All signs point to this teeny-tiny, barely there bikini top. The cutouts are so fierce, we almost can’t handle it.
9. Botanical Print Dress ($60): The answer to mastering cutouts: Take baby steps. With the exception of a well-placed cutout at the midriff, this floral palm leaf frock is as tame as it gets. Heck, you could even wear it to Sunday brunch.
10. Perfect Ruched Cutout Dress ($20): Laverne would definitely approve of you taking your LBD to the next level with a sexy midriff cutout like this.
11. Royalty Peplum Top ($88): Yup, we’re still peppy for the peplum, and are pretty jazzed that cutouts have now been added to the mix. For a knockout look, pair this peplum top with snazzy shorts and a Panama hat.
12. Cutting Corners Dress ($139): There’s no “cutting corners” when it comes to this poppy-colored dress. The cutouts are here to stay for major celebrity (or shall we say, Laverne) appeal.
13. Rib Cutout Crop Top ($55): Just when you thought that you’ve seen them all, this darling peach top with side cutouts enters into the equation. Style it with swingy white skirts, palazzo pants — you name it.
14. Scallop Edge Body-Con Dress ($68): Scallops meets bodycon meets cutouts. Oh my! While this cobalt number will show off your curves, it does so in the sweetest way possible. Compared to some of the other cutouts we’ve seen, this dress is a safe bet.
15. Sleeveless Cutout Pink Dress ($22): More appropriate for a sweet sixteen than a night spent hitting the club, this little pink dress with cutouts is as girly as it gets. As much as we love a risqué, head-turning dress, we think Laverne would agree that confidence is the best accessory. That said, you do YOU.
16. Cutout Stretch Jersey Midi Dress ($280): Word on the street is that Mindy Kaling was spotted in this gorgeous Mara Hoffman dress. And what’s good enough for Mindy is good enough for us.
17. Double Strap Cutout Culotte Jumpsuit ($35): Feast your eyes on this jumpsuit complete with the two C’s: cutouts and culottes. Not only would Laverne dig it, but our gal T-Swift would too. Dress it up with strappy heels or play it down with cool-girl-approved platforms.
18. Popstar Cutout Swimsuit ($450): Not just limited to your going-out attire, cutouts can make a splash at the beach too. While it may not be the most PG-rated swimsuit, the cutouts on this Agent Provocateur one-piece are perfect for all you fashion risk takers. It’s a bit of a splurge, but definitely worth it after a few swimsuit seasons.
19. Cutout Gown ($158): If we could redo prom, we would in a heartbeat just so we could show everyone up in this eye-catching gown. Better yet, throw this on for an upcoming gala and wow the partygoers, Laverne Cox style. Those cage cutouts are seriously everything.
20. Cap Sleeve Maxi Dress ($80): Channel our favorite fashion girl Kendall (Jenner, that is) in this fierce white maxi with daring slits and cutouts on the sides. DO sport a sleek hairstyle to match.
Will you be rocking the cutout trend this summer? Tell us in the comments below!