Leather goes hand-in-hand with cooler temps, but it’s not just for handbags and shoes — this season, leather hair accessories are showing up everywhere. Celebrity hairstylist and Kérastase Brand Ambassador Matt Fugate is a huge fan of the trend, saying: “The teaming of textured hair and structured headwear makes for a perfect duo. Leather hair accessories also add attitude to simple styles and a pop of interest.” We couldn’t agree more after seeing some of his favorite ways to incorporate the material into your ‘do. Read on for the deets on how to recreate ’em!
1. Bindings: Ponytail bindings are nothing new, but a silver leather version definitely garners way more attention. Fugate recommends gathering the hair into a pony with a tiny elastic, then adding a shine spray or a beautifying oil like Kérastase Elixir Ultime Bi-Phase Spray Oil ($58). “Once applied, weave a strip of leather under the hair, above the pony, and start wrapping it downward around the strands. Make sure you are wrapping one piece of leather around the hair and stabilize the other piece of leather so that you can tie off the tails at the end,” he says. (Photo via Vogue.com)
2. Bows: The bow tie is officially back, only now it belongs in an epic pony. “What makes this hairstyle work for fall is that the leather bow adds a matte coolness to an otherwise girly accessory,” says Fugate. “It’s also versatile because it can be done on any type of hair — all you need is a lot of texturizing spray (or dry shampoo) to make the pony airy and not shiny.” (Photo via Triplethread)
3. Bubble Pony: Why stop at one accessory, when you can rock a bunch in the form of a bubble pony? Fugate loves this look because it gives a gypsy vibe to your go-to style and is fairly easy to pull off: “All you need are a couple copper leather tubes in various sizes and a little push-pull technique to create the bubble orbs. Using different sizes makes the overall aesthetic look more undone and less formal.” (Photo via Treasures and Travels)
4. Braided Updo: If you’re going for a more polished-meets-pretty statement with your leather flair, why not opt for a braided updo? Fugate explains that “the braid teamed with the flower adds a modern touch to a Little House on the Prairie style.” To copy this plait, simply start with your French braid down the back of the hair and then hide the ends either under the hair or in a soft bun at the nape. Secure a flower brooch, comb, or clip over the bun and voilà! (Photo via MyFunnySquirel)
5. The Messy ‘Do: “This messy updo has a genius shape with perfectly imperfect tendrils falling out,” says Fugate. “Placing the flowers on the side also brings a new focal point — but the key product you need is a thickening spray gel, like Kérastase Materialiste ($37), to give the hair substance. Then just power dry, wrap and roll up, position the flowers, and you’re good to go. You can also try a backcombing technique to create a cotton candy-ish texture.” (Photo via ASOS)
6. Minimal Cuff: A minimalistic metallic cuff like this one by Precocious ($10) is great for second-day strands because, according to Fugate, embracing the less-is-more aesthetic also means freeing yourself of morning styling stress. Amen to that! (Photo via Etsy)
What’s your favorite hair accessory right now? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.