17 Natural Hairstyles ALL Curly Gals Will Love
Oh hey, curly girls! We know you’re excited for summer, but also a little apprehensive. As temperatures climb, it can become hard to rock natural curls. The threat of humidity and sporadic thunderstorms loom with every day hotter than 90, and no one wants to be a frizzy mess on a sweltering day. Buuut, there’s no need to break out the styling tools to look great at every barbecue, beach trip and city picnic. Here’s a look at some of the prettiest natural styles to take you through the dog days of summer in the state of perfection you are.
6. Curly Faux Hawk: Fact: Having curls makes you look like a rockstar. Own that hair and go on with your bad self when you style your locks in a chic faux hawk — leather jacket and tattoos not included. (via Seventeen)
7. Elegant Updo: While it might not be instinctual to leave hair natural for special events, keeping away from the straightener can have truly beautiful results. Case in point? This updo that’s perfect for every summer wedding. (via Once Wed)
9. Turban Headwrap: If your tresses are totally out of control, just wrap it up. This tutorial will take you through 21 ways to wrap a turban, making it impossible to consider this style anything but versatile. (via Curly Nikki)
10. Unfinished Braid: This style gives the best of both worlds. A braid keeps some hair under control, while leaving the rest loose helps create woodsy, princess vibes that are at home at any festival. (via Refinery29)
11. Half Bun: Who knew this middle school throwback could be so pretty? Be sure to leave a few face-framing pieces out, then prepare to stun everywhere from the farmer’s market to fancy yacht parties. (via Anouk Yve)
How will you be styling your curls this summer? Let us know in the comments!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!