Who says adventure always has to mean roughing it? It’s totally possible to appreciate an adrenaline rush and a spectacular spa treatment. Luckily, resorts are catching on and pairing their deluxe amenities with once-in-a-lifetime adventure excursions. Whether you’re hoping to go forest bathing, spend some time on the coast, or trek deep into the mountains, these luxury resorts will help you nurture your adventurous spirit while still leaving you feeling totally pampered.
1. Azul Beach Resort Negril, Jamaica: At this five-star all-inclusive luxury resort located on the western tip of the island, you can eat at any of the resort’s nine restaurants (including a breakfast buffet featuring traditional Jamaican dishes like ackee and saltfish), order room service at any time of day, swim up to a pool bar directly from your oceanfront room, or lounge on the beach with personal butler service. When you’re ready for adventures, the ocean is at your fingertips. Included in the cost of the stay are everything from boogie boards to snorkeling gear. Paddle along the famous Seven Mile Beach in a kayak or sail the shallow waters in a Hobie Cat, a sailing catamaran that even novices can operate. (Photo via Azul Beach Resort Negril)
2. Glenapp Castle, Scotland: Want to adventure like a queen? This castle-turned-hotel in Ayrshire, Scotland, has 17 rooms, many with views of the western Scottish coast. When you’re not dining like royalty at the award-winning restaurant, take one of the property’s mountain bikes for a spin on the cycling trails that surround the castle and into the nearby Scottish glens. Or grab a map and set out for a walk on a section of the 100-mile Ayrshire Coastal Path, where you may spot seals, porpoises, and otters alongside historical castle ruins and fishing villages. (Photo via Glenapp Castle)
3. Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort, Hawaii: When you’re not exploring Polynesian culture through an ‘ohana-style meal or indulging in a massage at the beachfront spa, Andaz Maui makes sure you’ve got all your adventure bucket-list items taken care of. Take a tour on an outrigger canoe along the south Maui coast, or meet one of the hotel’s kayak guides for a paddle to look for sea turtles, dolphins and — if you’re there between November and May — humpback whales. You can also pick up snorkeling gear for your own solo ocean expedition. (Photo via Andaz Maui)
4. Kalon Surf Resort, Costa Rica: Are you a surfer, or do you wish you were? Travel to Costa Rica and stay at Kalon to catch the wave you’ve always wanted. Located in the Osa Peninsula near popular surf town Dominical, the resort itself is surrounded by jungle and looks out over the ocean. Lay around under mango trees, enjoy a massage, and enjoy organic homemade meals… and then be ready to surf. A week-long resort stay includes three to five hours of surf coaching each day for five days and everything you’ll need to start shredding waves, from surfboards to rash guards to sunscreen. (Photo via Kalon Surf Resort)
5. Las Lagunas Boutique Hotel, Guatemala: If your idea of adventure is getting up close and personal with wildlife, the spider monkeys who live on a lagoon island at Las Lagunas Boutique Hotel are going to catch your attention. You can experience lagoon views via kayak or cycle through the Guatemalan jungle, but the best adventure at this resort is the mini boat safari available to guests to help feed the resident spider monkeys a fruit and vegetable breakfast. The hotel also has a private conservatory where you can see ocelots, jaguars, margay cats, boars, and other exotic fauna. (Photo via Las Lagunas Boutique Hotel)
6. Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti, Tanzania: Is an African safari top of your bucket list? This ultra-luxury Four Seasons is located right in the middle of the 5,700 square foot Serengeti National Park. The resort offers daily drives to look for iconic Serengeti wildlife, and their Adventure and Rejuvenation package even includes a hot air balloon ride over the famous desert, plus three relaxing “wellness experiences” so you can unwind after a long day in the sun. (Photo via Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti)
7. Dunton Hot Springs, Colorado: If you’re searching for the perfect winter adventure getaway, Dunton Hot Springs is a top-notch place to spend a snowy winter day. When you’re not enjoying the natural splendor of the hot springs, the resort’s snowshoes, cross-country skis, and ice skates are all available to guests with their Ski & Soak package. Plus, their rustic-looking but surprisingly elegant cabins are everything your glamping dreams are made of. (Photo via Dunton Hot Springs)
8. Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico: A highlight of any adventurer’s trip to Mexico is often the country’s incredibly unique cenotes — water-filled caves formed from collapsing limestone, which have carried spiritual meaning for generations. But these wonders can be difficult to get to and require serious extra travel time. Lucky for you, Mayakoba has its own cenote, with guides who are happy to take you on a tour as part of the resort’s Curator Program. Once you’re done with your walking tour, hop on the resort’s eco cruise around the lagoon to spot native birds and fish — and even local crocodiles. (Photo via Andaz Mayakoba)
What luxury adventure is at the top of your bucket list?Let us know @BritandCo!