8 Unique and Relaxing Getaways Every Mom Squad Needs This Fall
What’s better than strengthening your bond with girlfriends? Not much. Okay, maybe chilling with your fellow mom besties in amazing locales worthy of an amazing babymoon. This season, take some time to just celebrate and get away with the gang (hey, you deserve it… especially after Halloween craziness!). From island hot spots in the Carribbean to laid-back coastal fun stateside, we’ve rounded up eight swoon-worthy destinations to plot your next edition of Mom Squad Adventures.
1. Cliff House in Cape Neddick, Maine: You don’t have to escape to far-flung locales to enjoy a quality getaway with your besties. At this sprawling oceanfront resort and spa, dive into lobster poutine for breakfast (with a side of fresh-pressed beet juice to balance it out), before checking yourselves into a much-needed day of pampering at the newly renovated spa. The mani/pedi chairs are spectacular — and ditto for the massages — but the real standout is the spa’s relaxation room, where floor-to-ceiling glass windows allow you to soak up the waves crashing against the cliffs. After being mesmerized by the views, enjoy fun group activities like yoga classes, or sign up for a brewery and distillery tour of nearby favorites with Maine Brew Bus, which picks you up at the hotel. (Photo via Cliff House)
2. Turf Valley Resort in Ellicott City, Maryland: This picturesque resort has everything you and your gaggle could want: an outstanding spa, boozy brunches and a gorgeous tree-lined property that’s perfect for long autumn strolls. Be sure to rally the troops to Haven on the Lake, a spectacular fitness and wellness center, where you can choose from wall yoga, balance board yoga, aqua spin (!) and more at their breathtaking waterfront property. Reward yourself for an afternoon of sweat-busting with a standout dinner at AIDA, which offers 30 wines on tap and insane, rustic Italian cooking, or the charming Iron Bridge Wine Co., situated in a revamped farmhouse, for a meal and memories you won’t soon forget. (Photo via Howard County Tourism)
3. WhiteHouse Hotel in Biloxi, Mississippi: The stunning charm of Mississippi’s Gulf Coast offers a dizzying array of arts, culture and first-rate relaxation for you and your friends to enjoy. The picturesque hotel dates back to the 1890s and makes for an ideal place to rest your weary limbs on Biloxi’s beachfront. When you set out on the town, hit up Fishbone Alley, a funky pedestrian strip outfitted with colorful murals and locals’ artwork, before checking out Ohr-O’Keefe Museum (designed by Frank Gehry). Are your gals water babies? Set sail at the Maritime Museum, or make an overnight detour to experience Mississippi’s enchanted barrier islands, just a short boat ride away from the mainland. (Photo via Mississippi Gulf Coast)
4. Playa Viva in Playa Icacos, Mexico: Hey, just because you and the mommas left the kids at home for the week doesn’t mean you can’t play like one! In this semi-tropical Mexican sanctuary, your day may shake out something like this: Take a run on the beach or breathe in that ocean air during a yoga class, and return to your room to recuperate in your private in-floor hammock as you swap stories with the group. Then grab everyone for cocktails on the beach. Rally for round two of relaxation in the aforementioned in-floor hammock. Repeat. The only thing separating you and the ocean is a set of curtains, where the inviting breeze beckons and sunsets are the kind of thing #instatravel dreams are made of. (Photo via Kevin Steele for Playa Viva)
5. ICEHOTEL in Jukkasjärvi, Sweden: Who better to experience something entirely new with than your friends? And it’s safe to say you’ve probably never experienced anything quite like this before. At this breathtaking property’s coveted Art Suites (pictured above), you’ll want to get to work creating as much hearty laughter as possible to stay warm. The rooms hover at around 23 degrees Fahrenheit, so you’ll also likely need to rely on those reindeer hides strewn over the bed. Rooms, separated by curtains, are a once-in-a-lifetime memory everyone will reminisce on for years to come. But book some nights in the “warm rooms” as well, as you round out your trip soaking up the Northern Lights or the midnight sun (from May through July). (Photo via Asaf Kliger for ICEHOTEL)
6. Rosalie Bay Resort in Roseau, Dominica: It’s known as “the Nature Island of the Caribbean” for good reason: Dominica has an awe-inspiring natural canopy of rainforest, majestic waterfalls and black sand beaches. And this resort showcases the best of its eco-bounty along with a stellar spa, spectacular wellness programs (be sure to round up the ladies for the Turtle Beach Walk) and a saltwater pool you’ll never want to leave. (Photo via Rosalie Bay Resort)
7. Menla Mountain Retreat Center in Phoenicia, New York. If escaping with your friends to a land beyond reliable cell service sounds enticing, then look no further than this enchanted getaway in the Catskill mountains. Yoga, lush spa treatments and meditation classes abound at the healing center of the Tibet House. Take a 30-minute spin to nearby Woodstock to wander around the historic 1960s hippies’ haven, chow down on amazing bites (with many vegan and gluten-free options) at treehouse-like foodie paradise Joshua’s Cafe and peruse the eclectic indie boutiques. (Photo via Menla)
8. Hotel Cape Charles in Cape Charles, Virginia: This endearingly quaint beach haven doesn’t lose its appeal during the off-season. Enjoy the natural wonderland of coastal Virginia in Cape Charles and nearby towns with plenty of cozy restaurants, charming stores, galleries and gorgeous hikes. It’s not just a nirvana for oyster aficionados — you and the ladies will definitely want to trade in some of that savory brine for palate-refreshing wine on vineyard tours like at Chatham Vineyards on Church Creek. While in town, be sure to hit up local haunt The Shanty, for first-rate seafood with a laid-back vibe, before resting your weary heads on Hotel Cape Charles’ insanely comfortable bedding (it’s seriously so comfortable the hotel staff had to reveal their choices in your room’s welcome binder). If you can squeeze in an extra day, take your getaway an hour north to Norfolk, Virginia, an impressively cosmopolitan port city with the outstanding Chrysler Museum of Art and a surprisingly incredible vegan culinary scene (perhaps thanks to PETA having its headquarters there). (Photo via Virginia Is for Lovers)
Which of the above getaways do you want to go on the most? Share with us by tweeting @BritandCo!