What You Should Wear This New Year’s Eve According to Your Plans
First, comes a stream of holiday shindigs (cue the tacky sweaters), and then comes the ultimate end-of-the-year bash. We’re talking about none other than New Year’s Eve, of course. Love it or hate it, the countdown until 2017 is the perfect excuse to break out the party poppers and spread confetti-like kindness. Whether you’re staying home to watch the ball drop live from Times Square (or perhaps you’ll be turning in a bit early), heading out with your gal pals for an epic GNO or enjoying a romantic evening with your boo, we’ve decoded exactly what you should wear for NYE. Before you reach for the same ol’ holiday dress and metallic ankle-strap heels (been there, done that), add some variety to the mix with a head-turning sequin bodysuit, some velvet platforms or even a cute PJ shirt, ‘cause staying in is all the rage these days.
1. Wildfox Beauty Sleep Kitten-Nap Eye Mask ($34): Stay up until the stroke of midnight? Puh-lease. Directly following an at-home pampering sesh, your plans for the night include treating yo’ self to a glass (or three) of rosé and slipping on this meow-tastic kitty-inspired eye mask for some much-needed beauty sleep. The millennial pink hue gets us Every. Time.
2. Rebecca Minkoff Wanderlust Sweatshirt ($88): Fact: The bestest NYE plans entail snuggling up in this cozy metallic graphic print sweatshirt, all the while indulging in a spiked apple cider and warm cinnamon buns. Visions of Anaheim, California may or may not be dancing in our heads as we speak.
3. YSTR Leo Robe ($208): Maybe you’ll end up staying in for an evening of Netflixing and chilling, or perhaps you’ll decide at the last minute to tag along as the fifth wheel with your coupled friends. Either way, you can bet on being cozy as you ring in the new year in this luxe velvet robe that’s designed to be worn beyond the bedroom. Although we have a feeling it’ll slay with a lingerie-esque slip and fuzzy fur steppers too.
4. J.Crew Women’s Crackled Metallic Suede Lodge Moccasins ($55): When you’re all snug by the fire with a cuppa hot cocoa in hand, there are few things that sound more luxurious than staying at home on NYE. (Yes, we’re homebodies at heart too.) Swap out your shimmery cocktail dress for a pair of these metallic lodge moccasins that will have you channeling a lumberjack-inspired look. Proceed to toss on your favorite flannel shirt and some cozy Fair Isle socks for the ultimate staycation.
5. Kate Spade Sleep Shirt and Eyemask Set ($68): Did someone say end-of-the-year pajama party with your neighborhood girl gang? You can count us in for a Champagne-filled night of girl talk. But wait just a second. You know a GNI (girls’ night in) isn’t complete without matching night shirts and eye masks. Don’t even get us started about that cheeky beauty sleep-inspired print featuring illustrated lashes, lipstick and stylish spectacles. We digress.
6. Wildfox Champagne Superstar Baggy Beach Jumper ($98): Me, myself and Champs: This jumper says it all, really. Whether you know it or not, you’ve been a self-proclaimed Champagne superstar since day one. Ditch the OTT sequins for this perfectly oversized sweatshirt that’s designed for a wild (we use that term loosely, BTW) evening spent sipping bubbly. We definitely don’t hate it.
A Crazy Night Out With Your Squad
7. Free People Sequin Set ($250): This just in: You’ll shine bright like a diamond (and more than likely light up the dance floor) in this head-turning sequined set, consisting of a swingy tank and flared pants. Bring on the disco fever with a fringe-tastic party hat and some platform heels for a head-turning getup.
8. ASOS Halter Neck Body With Sequin Embellishment ($53): A sequined bodysuit for New Year’s Eve? How fitting for an evening spent schmoozing, popping Champs and busting a move on the dance floor. Pair alongside high-waisted black jeans, ankle strap steppers and a fuzzy pink topper for when you have to venture out into the cold.
9. Topshop Star Motif Coat ($170): You, boss babe, you. Whatever you do, don’t leave the house before tossing on this minty fresh faux fur topper that packs on the diva appeal. The yellow star motifs will complement your glistening gold gown and playful knit pom-pom hat as you freeze your butt off in Times Square.
10. Mango Sequin Embroidered Jacket ($150): You best believe there’s more than one way to pack on the shimmer come NYE. Sure, you could reach for a sequin drop-waist dress or some glitter-flecked block heels, but where’s the fun in that? For those of you who are *actually* intent on getting low on the dance floor, this embroidered jacket can be tossed on with ease. Team it with a free-wheelin’ black jumpsuit or some black leather pants for a look that slays into the wee hours of the morning.
11. Scotch & Soda Silk Striped Jumpsuit ($379): Invest in this metallic striped jumpsuit and you’ll be one step closer to snagging the title of best-dressed at your company’s NYE party. Infinitely more comfortable than a neck-plunging maxi or a bodycon mini, this wardrobe workhorse is ready to partay. And did we mention that it’s practically made for zigging and zagging to the beat? Oh yeah.
12. & Other Stories Kaleidoscopic Glitter Sneaker ($145): Now we’re talking. Let it be known that sky-high heels aren’t required to have a good time. Why NOT kick it back old-school with a pair of these glitter sneakers that will make you look (and feel) like a human disco ball. Not only will they elicit oohs and aahs from random party goers, but they’ll leave you blister-free so you can actually enjoy the night. *Adds to cart without hesitation.*
13. Cooperative Cassie Sequin Mini Skirt ($69): Turn down for what? A sequin mini that can be styled a million and one ways tops our NYE checklist, and for good reason. Not only will this bad boy straight-up stun with a vintage rocker tee, a leather moto jacket and velvet ankle booties, but it’ll pull you out of any potential last-minute wardrobe snafus (you were all set on wearing a sequined slip dress before you found out your BFF was wearing the same thing — ugh).
A Romantic Rendezvous
14. Reformation Flora Dress ($218): Check, check and triple check. This promiscuous LBD featuring a sultry off-the-shoulder neckline and showgirl-inspired feathers will more than fit the bill for a fantasy suite with bae. Sheer noir tights, Mary Jane heels and swingy chandelier earrings will round out your after hours-approved look.
15. & Other Stories Night Fever Velvet Platforms ($125): Born in the wrong decade doesn’t even begin to describe our love affair with these towering magenta velvet platforms that call for a slew of flashy metallics and John Travolta-inspired whites. These show-stompers (get it?) will look DDG no matter how you style ‘em for an unforgettable evening.
16. French Connection Polly Plains Tie Neck Shirt ($88): Take style cues from the men in your life with this tuxedo-inspired tie-neck shirt that’s not fussy in the least. Between a black tie-themed gala and a spur-of-the-moment trip to Vegas, this tailored dress shirt has got you covered. For maximum impact, team it with sequined pants and power pumps or channel your inner sophisticate with a velvet pinafore dress. Final step: Let the satin ribbon hang loose or tie it into a bow for a more polished look.
17. Topshop Disc Sequin Midi Dress ($280): Sequins? For New Year’s? Groundbreaking. But actually. If there’s one day of the year when it’s okay to be #basic, it’s NYE. Meet the sequin midi dress (check out those oversized paillettes!) that will have you channeling your inner Marilyn Monroe. A bold red lip, a black top hat, lace-up ghillies and your date’s tuxedo blazer are considered non-negotiable in our book.
18. & Other Stories Sequined Trousers ($135): If HR were here, they’d totes approve of these wide-leg sequined trousers that are guaranteed to steal the show. Slip on a bow-neck blouse and grab your fanciest minaudiere clutch for a getup that works its magic around the clock. You already know dancin’ shoes are in order.
19. Kate Spade Allover Paillette Dress ($648): Hide your wallets — this lust-worthy midnight blue sequined dress is going to cost ya, but by all means, it’s worth every penny. Whether you’re playing hostess with the mostest to your own NYE bash, are attending a black tie gala in Washington DC or have a TBD evening with your S.O., this sartorial stunner is a certified crowd-pleaser. DO opt for a chic top knot, pom-pom adorned steppers and a Miss Piggy-inspired topper for no shortage of compliments.
20. For Love & Lemons Saffron Sleeveless Maxi Dress ($284): You had us at flowy silk gown. Between surprise end-of-the-year engagements and a certain midnight kiss, it would behoove you to pull out all the stops with the evening gown of the century. This floor-length maxi featuring thigh-grazing slits not only packs on the ethereal goddess appeal, but it takes zero effort to style. (Seriously, nada!) Just toss it on with some lace-up platforms for a bombshell look.
What will you be wearing for New Year’s Eve? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.