The veil: It’s the one bridal accessory that can make any old frock feel totally wedding-ready. Women have been wearing the down-the-aisle essential for centuries (these bad boys date all the way back to ancient Greece), and the general aesthetic hasn’t changed much since. Of course, if traditional just isn’t your thing, the very thought of donning a veil might send you running for the hills. There are a whole host of alternatives — flower crowns, diadems, and glitzy headbands — to choose from, but with an endless supply of edgy interpretations of the veil popping up on Etsy, it’s worth giving the classic accessory another shot. Scroll on for nine non-traditional veil styles that are straight-up “I do” gold.
1. Mignonne Handmade Esmerelda Veil Band ($125): This totally non-traditional style was made with the burgeoning bohemian goddess in mind. The pale eucalyptus hue and embellished gold-plated comb will add a punch of personality to even the most understated gowns.
2. Wild Spirit Lovers Biewe Veil ($321): Vintage-inspired, yet 100 percent fashion-forward, this cathedral length veil brings the best of both worlds to the table. It’s the perfect finishing touch for a lace sheath gown: The floral artwork, shimmery crystals, and gilded accents will keep all eyes on you all night long.
3. Erica Elizabeth Design 1920s Wedding Hairpiece ($330): Vintage soiree in the works? This is the OMG-worthy accessory you need on hand. The Russian netting and glitzy rhinestone appliqués deliver just the right amount of Gatsby glamour without going OTT.
4. Sibo Designs Bridal Scarf ($356): This isn’t your average mantilla veil. Designed in the shape of a scarf, the cotton-lace veil can be worn a myriad of ways, bringing an unexpected edge to your down-the-aisle look. The best part? You can rock it as a shawl later on in the evening when the temp starts to dip.
5. Truvelle Wilshire Veil ($245): A cutting-edge twist on a classic style, this embroidered beauty is the epitome of bridal bliss. Bold florals and foliage make an otherwise understated veil pop, effortlessly elevating a simple strapless gown or bohemian frock. If you’re looking for a little extra oomph, the piece can also be made with smoke or sienna-colored tulle.
6. Veiled Beauty Blush Veil ($75): Now here’s a veil that color-lovers and -phobes can *both* agree on. A soft shade of blush transforms this graceful piece into a bonafide scene-stealer. Layer it over an elegant ball gown for an ethereal look that’s guaranteed to make jaws drop.
7. Sibo Designs Crystal Veil ($301): Puttin’ on the glitz takes on a totally new meaning with this crystal-flecked number on hand. The shoulder-grazing style is handmade and offers an Insta-worthy alternative to ballet, chapel, and cathedral-length options — essential if you’re looking to show off a show-stopping neckline or bodice.
8. Mignonne Handmade Tulle Bandeau Veil ($40): An ultra feminine take on the birdcage veil, this gold-dotted bandeau veil was practically made for It-girls in training. Equal parts edgy and elegant, it’s the ideal piece to set your bridal style apart from the rest.
9. Jurgita Bridal 3D Floral Veil ($115):Hello, gorgeous! Made with soft Italian tulle and 3D floral lace detailing, this enchanting accessory is the wedding day essential you didn’t even know you needed.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.