From Baby to Big Kid: 15 Nursery Items That Will Grow With Them
Prepping a nursery can be a doozy. As tempting as it is to reach for the cutesy baby decor (we’re looking at you, rubber duck patterned wallpaper), the sensible side of you *knows* that it will feel outdated by the time your baby is walking. So, with the help of VTech, we’ve curated 16 items to decorate a nursery — and eventually, a kid’s room — so they don’t grow out of their room as fast as they grow out of their clothes.
One thing we love about VTech? When creating their products, they always prioritize sensibility and safety, but they also offer unexpected features that gives you more bang for your buck. Take the Safe&Sound® DECT 6.0 Digital Audio Baby Monitor with Open/Closed & Motion Sensors ($150): Not only does it have the open/closed and motion sensors to send you alerts, it doubles as a night light that projects the moon and stars onto the ceiling *and* plays a sweet lullaby for your little one. Choosing VTech products means resting a bit easier knowing your kiddos are safe and sound when you’re not in the room.
1. VTech Safe&Sound® DM271 Digital Audio Monitor ($150): This audio monitor goes above and beyond — it has a motion sensor and an open/closed sensor, both of which work on doors, cabinets and open space, so you’ll get instant alerts if your little one is sneaking out for a late night cookie. What’s more, it has a built-in glow-on-ceiling night light that projects a starry sky *and* plays a sweet lullaby perfect for nap time.
2. Oh Joy! Wall Decals ($13): All hail the wall decal! Write your kiddo’s name with Oh Joy’s adorable decal letters, or another sweet message. The best part? They’re temporary, so you can switch it up whenever you like.
3. Serena & Lily Mercado Baskets ($58): We’ve sung our praises for baskets before, but let us repeat ourselves: They’re the absolute best way to clean up your room in a jiff. Fill ‘em with books, toys or stuffed animals when necessary, and stack them up when you need the extra space. Some of these colorful baskets come with wheels, too, so your toddler can roll them around all by themselves!
4. Ruggable Shag Winter White ($100): This shag rug is — wait for it — machine washable! Soft and plush for when your babe is tiny, and mess-friendly when their playtime becomes more adventurous.
5. Floor Pouf: If you’re in the mood to DIY, try making a floor pouf for the nursery. It’s something to sit on while your toddler plays on the floor, but also an edge-free piece of furniture that your kiddo can rough around with.
6. The Land of Nod Neon Chalkboard Table ($250): Opt for a chalkboard table so your little Picasso can express herself when she’s old enough. In the meantime, it can double as a bedside table before those motor skills kick in.
7. DIY Modern Quilt Kit ($119): A homemade baby blanket is much more sentimental, don’t you think? Pick up this kit and accompanying online class to DIY a cozy custom quilt for your angel on the way.
8. Pineapple Laundry Basket: We’ll say it again: Baskets are the answer! DIY this sweet laundry basket for a majorly adorable hamper.
9. Honey & Bloom Big Red Balloon Art Print ($35): As for wall art, choose simple and whimsical over cutesy and juvenile. After all, you’ll be spending just as much time in this room as your mini-me.
10. The Little Acorn Tiger Shaped Pillow ($49): Side-eye has never looked so cute. Pick up this animal-shaped pillow for a cuddly, soft friend.
11. Pillowfort Pineapple Table Lamp ($30): There’s just something about a pineapple that brings a smile to our faces. Bring whimsy into your nursery lighting with this playful table lamp.
12. Pottery Barn Kids Faux Fur Swan Plush ($29): We’ll always appreciate beautiful toys that can stand the test of time — and be as appealing to a five-year-old as they are to an infant.
13. Pottery Barn Kids Blue Xylophone ($34): Have we mentioned we love cute toys? Musical instruments like this xylophone will be just as fun for a one-year-old as they are for a kindergartener. Just be mindful of those mallets when your kiddo is extra little!
14. IKEA Stickat Hanging Baskets – Set of 2 ($10): There’s no such thing as too many baskets! These genius woven IKEA tubs are great for storing toys and stuffed animals, especially in small spaces.
15. Happy Habitat Cloud Mini – Cobalt ($82): Cozy it up with a warm, soft *and* machine washable blanket that your little guy will use for years. It’s definitely worth the investment.
What are your go-to nursery pieces that will stand the test of time? Tweet us the answer @BritAndCo!
This post is a collaboration with VTech.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Authored by: Maddie Bachelder