In an industry obsessed with youth, the thought of taking style cues from the over-40 set seems somewhat unheard of — especially if you haven’t hit the milestone yet yourself. But it shouldn’t. Already, we’re watching as some of our favorite Instababes “grow up,” so to speak, following along as they get married, buy their first real digs, and have babies. Which is why bloggers over 40 definitely deserve our attention. They’ve fine-tuned their style by this point, which means their #OOTDs feel more authentic and effortless. Scroll on for five noteworthy ladies whose style is inspirational at any age.
1. Garance Doré: Yup, you heard right — French girl extraordinaire Garance Doré is in fact over 40. And her style is the epitome of #goals. Doré isn’t one for peacocking or OTT trends — she keeps it real in staples like block-heeled ankle boots, cashmere sweaters, sharp trousers, and bombshell red lipstick. And yeah, we’re more than a little bit obsessed.
2. Natalie Joos: We’re kind of, sort of obsessed with this Belgian-born style goddess. She has some serious style credentials, having worked with the likes of Craig McDean, Helmut Lang, and Phillip Lim. The fashion consultant and force behind the blog Tales of Endearment is even launching her own line of vintage-inspired knitwear, which speaks to her penchant for chic throwback threads. Her getups are fun-yet-sophisticated and have a one-of-a-kind flair.
3. Carmen Gimeno: Spanish blogger babe Carmen Gimeno could only be described as vibrant and Euro-cool (think: bright silk scarves, leather jackets, chic sneakers, and glam accessories). Her Insta feed is jam-packed with inspired ensembles that are a far cry from sweater sets, chinos, and frumpy flats. Trust us when we say that you’ll be adding more than a few of her getups to your rotation on the regular.
4. Kat of Does My Bum Look 40 in This?: After turning 40, Kat decided to start a blog and share her style evolution, or as she calls it, finding “a style that doesn’t scream mutton or frump.” Mission accomplished. Classic silhouettes teamed with playful prints and elegant outerwear are the bread and butter of her wardrobe, with leather and a few studs here and there adding just the right amount of urban edge.
5. Lyn Slater: Through her blog Accidental Icon, Lyn Slater — a law professor by trade — experiments with her bold-meets-minimalist style. Architectural lines, sculptural jewelry, and monochromatic ensembles are her signatures and her space is the perfect place to find inspo for your nine-to-five routine.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!