10 Ways to Master Metallics and Prints
There’s certainly something to be said for a carefully curated ensemble — you know, the ones that are painstakingly color coordinated right down to the most minute of details. But if you’re anything like us, you like your #OOTDs with a side of panache, which requires throwing caution and style rules to the wind (at least to some degree). Having already mastered the art of mixing prints, you’re ready to try your hand at a more complex style challenge. Pairing eye-catching patterns with daytime metallics isn’t just a bold sartorial move — it’s also the ultimate remedy for combatting a severe case of the winter style blues. With winter right on your doorstep, there’s no better time than now to learn how to pull it off. Luckily, we’ve created 10 Insta-worthy combos that will land you the title of best dressed this season — no effort needed. Street style status is only a scroll away.
1. Topshop Stripe Metallic Plisse Trousers ($65) + Sandro Roberte Color-Block Crepe de Chine Mini Dress ($198): Looking for a sneaky way to slip metallics and mini silhouettes by HR? Play the layering game like a pro and toss on a bold-and-bright mini dress over a pair of metallic crop trousers for a guilt-free getup that straight-up slays. Dial up the polish factor by pairing it with ankle boots and sleek drop earrings.
2. Zara Metallic Belt Bag ($36) + Jacquard Mini Dress ($100): Clutches are great and all, but when you have a hot date with the dance floor, it’s time to go hands-free. This gilded belt bag is just what the doctor ordered, effortlessly earning you serious style cred while giving you the freedom to break it down like the girlboss you are. Team it with a red hot frock, glittering Mary Janes and a bold lip for a flawless after-dark #OOTD.
3. Topshop Star Metallic Zip Skirt ($210) + H&M Striped Mock-Turtleneck Top ($25): Sweats and boyfriend jeans aren’t the only way to do off-duty dressing. Be it an annual Christmas market or tree lighting in the park, this festive duo will have you feeling ready to deck the halls. Style them up with shimmery tights, bright earmuffs and a blush wool cocoon coat.
4. Zara Laminated High Heel Ankle Boots ($50) + Mango Paisley Print Dress ($80): Like a good pair of black pumps, metallic ankle boots will never steer you wrong. While they’re just the thing to jazz up basics and timeless essentials (think: all black everything), we’re diggin’ the unexpected contrast they create when teamed with a bohemian maxi dress. Throw on a turtleneck tee and asymmetric earrings for a wear-anywhere ensemble that slays.
5. Topshop Boutique Metallic Funnel Sweatshirt ($125) + Whistles Tiger Print Silk Trouser ($330): When it comes to nine-to-five dressing, you play by your own rules (while still adhering to dress code, of course). Metallics and prints? You’re all over it. Achieve working girl sophistication by layering a metallic turtleneck over printed wide-leg trousers and suede pumps FTW. Snoozy suits? Not on your watch.
6. H&M Glittery Pull-On Pants ($35) + J.Crew Collection Ruffled Printed Silk-Chiffon Blouse ($250): Life’s too short to live in shades of beige and gray. Embrace the bolder side by doing the mix-and-match thing. Tailored trousers in a shade of dark dramatic purple are practically begging to be coupled with this orange botanical blouse. Play up the pops of copper with a rose gold choker and platform Oxfords for a boy-meets-girl look with a subtle glam edge.
7. Zara Long Jumpsuit With Slit ($50) + & Other Stories Spackle Print Satin Blouse ($65): Any time is a good time to rock a jumpsuit — especially when metallics are involved. Say sayonara to standard LBDs this holiday season and show up to a Secret Santa soiree or dinner party in a high-shine onesie with endless panache. Pop it over a printed tee for extra oomph, then proceed to pair with a bold ear cuff and statement heels for best-dressed status in a snap.
8. Mango Off-Shoulder Blouse ($36) + Kayu North Clutch ($205): Introducing the after-dark dream team that will take your next GNO by storm. Striking the ultimate balance of glitz and understated elegance, this shimmery duo is proof that less is most certainly more. Keep the minimalist dream alive with black culottes, ankle boots and a matte pout.
9. H&M Shimmering Metallic Dress ($18) + Samantha Pleet Thousand Faces Coven Bodysuit ($159): Bodysuits and slip dresses are two of our most favorite things — especially when worn together. The only thing that could make this It-girl-approved combo even better? Quicksilver fabric and an artsy abstract print. Whether you wear this duo for a late-night gig or NYE soiree, the result will be stunning. Shimmery socks and sandals give the getup a cool throwback twist.
10. Zara Short Metallic Jacket ($100) + Urban Outfitters Brushed Landscape Intarsia Scarf ($49): ICYMI: 2017 is the year of the puffer jacket, and if you haven’t scooped up one of these snuggly numbers, you best get on it stat. This futuristic quilted jacket is guaranteed to score you street-style star status no matter whether you’re out running errands or catching the big game. Add a bold splash of color to the mix a la a neon blanket scarf to score all the style points this season.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.