8 Fall Style Rules You’ll Actually *Want* to Follow
When it comes to sartorial matters, the idea of “rules” has become, ironically, taboo. Because life’s too short not to wear white after Labor Day (yeah, we said it), double up on prints or rock socks like a street style star. That said, when you’re drowning in outfit inspo and a sea of to-die-for fall trends (our faves being daytime metallics and chic sweaters — the bigger, the better), a few fashion guidelines to help point you in the way of #OOTD glory are more than welcome. And that’s where this handy little list comes in. Consider it your fall fashion bible.
1. Embrace embroidery. Topshop MotoFall Floral Embroidered Mom Jeans ($115): Much like patches and sassy pins, this gnarly ‘90s trend is experiencing a renaissance. The major difference? The stitch work has taken on a more feminine tone, with flirtatious florals being particularly en vogue. Whether you opt for a pair of embellished mom jeans or an elegant jacquard jacket, the intricate detail will put your ensemble on the fast track to fab.
2. Snag a coat for every occasion. Free People Wrap Me Up Faux Fur Jacket ($348): Satin bombers, suede trenches and faux fur jackets — there’s certainly no shortage of swoon-inducing outerwear options this season. So why limit yourself? And besides, catching the big game at your favorite sports bar calls for an entirely different topper than a Monday morning business meeting. Ya dig? Enlist a few different styles into your arsenal this season, then watch as the style opportunities unfold.
3. Go metallic. Urban Outfitters Zelda Metallic Ankle Boot ($98): All metallic everything is the name of your style game this season. Sprinkle hints of silver and gold into your ensemble to take a just-your-average on-the-job ensemble into haute new territory. A silver pleated top would look downright dreamy styled alongside a pinstriped blazer and relaxed-fit jeans, while these saucy steppers are ready to blaze trails with ladylike midi skirts and streamlined sweaters.
4. Invest in velvet. Maeve Velvet Circle Skirt ($98): You swore you’d never again be caught dead in velvet — that is, until you saw the slew of sophisticated options flooding your favorite stores. Case in point: this sage-colored skirt that is equal parts sassy and chic. Team it with lace-up ankle boots, a ribbed turtleneck and statement earrings for an effortless yet luxe look that will take you from your HBIC routine to after-hours shenanigans like that.
5. Rock socks. Hansel from Basel Shimmer Dot Socks ($15): Fall is in full swing, but you’re still dreaming of the glory days of summer — which is exactly why you should consider hopping aboard the sock train this season. They’re not only perfect for transitioning your favorite summer kicks to the new season, but they’ll also inject endless It-girl edge into any outfit in seconds. Our favorite way to wear it? Team these shimmery socks with burgundy velvet platform heels for a show-stopping look that’s begging to make its debut on your next night out.
6. Test drive tonal layering. Talula Whitby Jacket ($135): The easiest way to get your style right this season without spending mad cash? Teach your essentials a few new tricks. Take style notes from designers like Balenciaga and Céline and deck yourself out in various shades of a single color — khaki, gray, green, denim, pink, you name it — to establish an element of drama. To amplify the wow-worthy effect, play with proportion, teaming an oversized sweater with a body-skimming pencil skirt, or relaxed-fit denim with a velvet bodysuit.
7. Stun in a statement scarf. Zara Faux Fur Stole ($50): Allow yourself to get wrapped up in statement scarves this season. All it takes is a bright faux fur stole or a printed blanket scarf to totally transform a classic coat into a bona fide work of art. Blow the style competition away by teaming this color-block stunner with an embroidered longline coat and metallic boots for after work drinks or a festive fall fête.
8. Don’t settle for anything less than a statement knit. New Revival Ivory Twist Knot Oversize Sweater ($162): Can it even be considered fall without a few show-stopping knits on standby? We’re willing to venture a no. But this time around we’re all about eye-catching details that set your knitwear apart from the rest — basic turtlenecks and cardigans need not apply. Invest in a bright embroidered number to shake up your weekend tee-and-jeans routine, or style this open-back bad boy with a jacquard pencil skirt and block-heel pumps for a subtly sexy look that will make jaws drop. No matter how you spin it, you simply can’t go wrong.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)