8 Fall Style Rules You’ll Actually *Want* to Follow
When it comes to sartorial matters, the idea of “rules” has become, ironically, taboo. Because life’s too short not to wear white after Labor Day (yeah, we said it), double up on prints or rock socks like a street style star. That said, when you’re drowning in outfit inspo and a sea of to-die-for fall trends (our faves being daytime metallics and chic sweaters — the bigger, the better), a few fashion guidelines to help point you in the way of #OOTD glory are more than welcome. And that’s where this handy little list comes in. Consider it your fall fashion bible.
1. Embrace embroidery. Topshop MotoFall Floral Embroidered Mom Jeans ($115): Much like patches and sassy pins, this gnarly ‘90s trend is experiencing a renaissance. The major difference? The stitch work has taken on a more feminine tone, with flirtatious florals being particularly en vogue. Whether you opt for a pair of embellished mom jeans or an elegant jacquard jacket, the intricate detail will put your ensemble on the fast track to fab.
2. Snag a coat for every occasion. Free People Wrap Me Up Faux Fur Jacket ($348): Satin bombers, suede trenches and faux fur jackets — there’s certainly no shortage of swoon-inducing outerwear options this season. So why limit yourself? And besides, catching the big game at your favorite sports bar calls for an entirely different topper than a Monday morning business meeting. Ya dig? Enlist a few different styles into your arsenal this season, then watch as the style opportunities unfold.
3. Go metallic. Urban Outfitters Zelda Metallic Ankle Boot ($98): All metallic everything is the name of your style game this season. Sprinkle hints of silver and gold into your ensemble to take a just-your-average on-the-job ensemble into haute new territory. A silver pleated top would look downright dreamy styled alongside a pinstriped blazer and relaxed-fit jeans, while these saucy steppers are ready to blaze trails with ladylike midi skirts and streamlined sweaters.
4. Invest in velvet. Maeve Velvet Circle Skirt ($98): You swore you’d never again be caught dead in velvet — that is, until you saw the slew of sophisticated options flooding your favorite stores. Case in point: this sage-colored skirt that is equal parts sassy and chic. Team it with lace-up ankle boots, a ribbed turtleneck and statement earrings for an effortless yet luxe look that will take you from your HBIC routine to after-hours shenanigans like that.
5. Rock socks. Hansel from Basel Shimmer Dot Socks ($15): Fall is in full swing, but you’re still dreaming of the glory days of summer — which is exactly why you should consider hopping aboard the sock train this season. They’re not only perfect for transitioning your favorite summer kicks to the new season, but they’ll also inject endless It-girl edge into any outfit in seconds. Our favorite way to wear it? Team these shimmery socks with burgundy velvet platform heels for a show-stopping look that’s begging to make its debut on your next night out.
6. Test drive tonal layering. Talula Whitby Jacket ($135): The easiest way to get your style right this season without spending mad cash? Teach your essentials a few new tricks. Take style notes from designers like Balenciaga and Céline and deck yourself out in various shades of a single color — khaki, gray, green, denim, pink, you name it — to establish an element of drama. To amplify the wow-worthy effect, play with proportion, teaming an oversized sweater with a body-skimming pencil skirt, or relaxed-fit denim with a velvet bodysuit.
7. Stun in a statement scarf. Zara Faux Fur Stole ($50): Allow yourself to get wrapped up in statement scarves this season. All it takes is a bright faux fur stole or a printed blanket scarf to totally transform a classic coat into a bona fide work of art. Blow the style competition away by teaming this color-block stunner with an embroidered longline coat and metallic boots for after work drinks or a festive fall fête.
8. Don’t settle for anything less than a statement knit. New Revival Ivory Twist Knot Oversize Sweater ($162): Can it even be considered fall without a few show-stopping knits on standby? We’re willing to venture a no. But this time around we’re all about eye-catching details that set your knitwear apart from the rest — basic turtlenecks and cardigans need not apply. Invest in a bright embroidered number to shake up your weekend tee-and-jeans routine, or style this open-back bad boy with a jacquard pencil skirt and block-heel pumps for a subtly sexy look that will make jaws drop. No matter how you spin it, you simply can’t go wrong.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.