Let’s be honest: Haute Couture isn’t exactly accessible to the masses (unless you’re ready to take out a second mortgage on your house or move back in with the ‘rents). That said, Couture Fashion Week (and the fab French-girl street style that goes along with it) is one of the most interesting fashion events to watch. Designers get crazy creative, and the details that pop up on the runway are seriously show-stopping. Not to mention, the #OOTD inspiration is UNREAL. Sure, there are some wacky getups that make their way down the catwalk, but the outfit formulas are always on point — slip dresses and tees, blazers and tailored trousers, floral dresses and ankle boots, to name a few. We’re sharing our favorite looks from Couture Fall/Winter 2016-2017 and the stylish pieces that’ll help you pull them off IRL.
It’s official: Slip dresses are sticking around for fall, and we couldn’t be happier about it. The ’90s staple gets a bit of a makeover with bold embellishments, as seen at Maison Margiela. Now if only we could get our hands on this chandelier-inspired number. (Photo via Thierry Chespot/Getty)
1. Native Rose Festival Cami Dress With Embellishment ($78): It’s just like your go-to summer dress, only better. This chic flowery slip is a shoo-in for your fall fashion routine with its undeniable layering potential and sophisticated shade of green. Wear it now solo with strappy sandals and statement studs, then give it the cool weather treatment by teaming it with a mock-neck top and a runway-approved socks and sandals look.
Decked-Out Denim at Viktor & Rolf
It was all about the details at Viktor & Rolf, where anything-but-average denim ruled supreme. Consider it the 2.0 version of this season’s patches craze, one with a more glam, bohemian feel. A quick rule of thumb for pulling it off? The more bling, the better. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
2. True Religion Halle Jeans with Floral Print ($255): When you’re trying to keep it real, intricate beadwork and all that jazz just might feel like too much. Play it cool off duty with these flowery cropped skinny jeans that have serious panache but don’t feel over-the-top. Pair ’em with a silk cami, utility jacket and suede wedge sandals for a laid-back backyard soiree, or kick back in a classic band tee, bomber jacket and statement sneakers.
Victorian-Inspired Ankle Boots at Fendi
Fendi’s fairytale-like couture collection was awash with intricate details that spoke to a high level of workmanship and sartorial know-how. And while we were certainly smitten by the enchanting embellished dresses and coats that seemed to float atop the Trevi Fountain, it was the sock-like Victorian-era ankle boots that made us do a double take. (Photo via Victor Boyko/Getty)
3. Jeffrey Campbell Magnolia Boots ($200): So maybe you won’t be adding a piece of Fendi couture to your collection anytime soon, but these gilded booties are prime for the picking (and a whole lot more affordable). Downright dreamy when paired with floral dresses and suede jackets, these gold beauties are guaranteed to become a regular fixture in your rotation.
Statement Coat at Schiaparelli
Lay that plain old peacoat to rest — fall is all about go-big-or-go-home outerwear that is just as vibrant as the duds below. The easiest way to fight off the cold weather blahs? A show-stopping coat like this. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
4. Shrimps Smith Chambrey Coat ($765): Up the glam factor on just about everything in your closet by adding this peach faux-fur-trimmed coat to the mix. While everyone else is hunkered down in drab neutral toppers, you’ll be wrapped up in those good vibes when you step out in this OMG-worthy number.
Metallic Trousers at Armani Privé
Just in case you needed another reason to rock metallics by daylight, here it is. Silvery trousers teamed with ladylike tops and suiting separates on the Armani runway, proving that quicksilver is the new black. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
5. Marios Joggy Pant ($195): Athleisure at its best looks a little something like this. Pull out the wild card for Sunday brunch or a gig with your best girls by wearing these silvery bottoms with a silk tee, strappy heels and a boyfriend blazer.
Statement Belts at Zuhair Murad
Fact: A good belt can transform even the most blasé getup into a runway-ready ensemble. The proof? Almost every look that came sauntering down the runway at Zuhair Murad. Sure, the clothes are straight-up stunning, but it was plain to see the transformative powers of this one subtle detail. (Photo via Thierry Chesnot/Getty)
6. Alice & Olivia Dusty Rose Suede Belt ($198): Once summer starts to make an exit from the scene, enlist the help of this soft suede cincher to transform your summer staples into autumn essentials. Layer a favorite summer frock over a long-sleeve tee or mock-neck blouse, then top it off with this retro-inspired belt and a pair of ankle boots for a foolproof outfit with endless It-girl appeal.
Waistcoat at Valentino
Elizabethan vibes ruled the Valentino runway, with ruff-trimmed dresses, capes and puffed sleeves calling to mind more regal times. The color palette was minimalist, and the designs themselves had an upscale bohemian flair, creating a unique aesthetic that free-spirited and no-fuss femmes can both certainly get behind. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
7. Express Edition Black And White Shawl Collar Vest ($168): Sometimes your #OOTD just needs that little extra push, and this elegant waistcoat will do just that. Forgo the standard blazer when the work week rolls around and layer it over a flowy blouse, tailored trousers and loafers for an ultra-polished look with fuss-free flair, or send the boho vibes into overdrive by placing it over a dusty floral dress and over-the-knee boots.
Graphic Floral Dress at Elie Saab
Hi, we’ll take five. While you might not have an occasion to wear an elaborate gown like this (or maybe you do, you glam goddess, you), the 3D detailing and textural design are elements that you can totally rock on the daily. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
8. Self Portrait Line Floral Lace Midi Dress ($401): Be it a wedding or a steamy seaside date, the graphic lace and plunging neckline of this sweet midi dress are sure to capture the attention of the room (start preparing that apology to the bride-to-be). Dress it down with crossover flatform sandals and a messy topknot, or pull out all the stops with glitzy drop earrings, statement heels and a streamlined lucite clutch.
Earthy Smoky Eye at Jean Paul Gaultier
Dramatic eye makeup is your jam, and you’re always looking for ways to switch things up. Enter the earthy smokey eye, which puts an unexpected (and maybe even daytime-approved) twist on the classic GNO beauty look. It’s soft, sassy and sultry all at once, and looks downright DDG when worn with a swipe of dark berry lipstick. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
9. Sephora Collection Colorful Eyeshadow Filter Palette ($28): Consider this earth-tone palette the ultimate tool kit for creating a killer smokey eye. Copper, green, gold — it’s all in there, so you can switch up your look on the fly.
Asymmetrically Styled Trench at Atelier Versace
The pink trench is rad, but it’s the off-the-shoulder styling that gives this practical-yet-pretty topper the upper hand — especially when it’s paired with a little bare shoulder. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
10. Lookast Pink Soft Trench Coat ($198): Your new signature move? Busting out this pretty pink trench after hours and layering it over a slinky dress, making sure to carefully let it fall open on one side to show off just a peek of skin. Statement drop earrings and a red pout will send the drama factor into overdrive, and give that chic asymmetric look added allure.
Lace Socks at Giambattista Valli
Lace socks? Who would have thought! Take the socks-and-sandals trend to whole new heights by teaming them with dainty lace that exude refined feminine elegance. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
11. Free People Cross My Heart Lace Sock ($12): Solidify your status as off-duty style queen by reaching for these femme floral socks for your next day out on the town. While you could go ultra feminine with your look, couple them with an athleisure-inspired outfit (think: pleated skirt, t-shirt, bomber jacket and crossover sandals) for maximum impact.
Mosaic Detailing at Chanel
Typically, Chanel is all about the tweeds, but we spotted something a little more exciting this time around — woven detailing that resembles mosaics, and makes your ensemble look like a true piece of art. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
12. Etienne Aigner Jerry Woven Tote ($345): Anytime is a good time to invest in a new take-anywhere tote, and this woven suede stunner will put your go-to carryall to shame. While it’s no Chanel coat (maybe one day), it has that same woven style that sends tongues wagging the second you hit the streets.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.