Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Engagement Sent Twitter into a Frenzy
It’s an exciting start to the week for the royal family! On Monday morning, after months of speculation, Clarence House announced the engagement of Prince Harry and Suits actress Meghan Markle.
According to a statement from the Prince of Wales, the couple got engaged in London earlier this month, and the wedding will take place next spring.
Since the pair met in 2016, their relationship has been under heavy scrutiny, prompting Prince Harry to release a rare statement slamming the media storm surrounding Markle. When the couple took their PDA to the next level at the Invictus Games this fall, many felt an engagement announcement was imminent, and now that it’s official, the excitement is pouring in on social media. Check out some of the best reactions below.
It's crazy, everyone is dancing in the streets here!
(Everyone is politely keeping to themselves, but you can tell they wanna dance) 🇬🇧 https://t.co/Qpd8x3yjv8
— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) November 27, 2017
1. A subdued dance party! Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is currently in England for the opening of Hamilton in London, said that people were keeping to themselves — but definitely celebrating on the inside.
Realising you will now never get to marry Prince Harry, despite it being your dream since you were 8 pic.twitter.com/fcYmGKpNxp
— Brighton Girl (@BtonGirlProbs) November 27, 2017
2. The dream is over. Girls born between 1985 and 1995 are sad to no longer get the chance to be a princess.
"We now go live to the Corgis." pic.twitter.com/oIuywN1Ukz
— Mollie Goodfellow (@hansmollman) November 27, 2017
3. Important update: We can’t forget about the corgis!
low key me pretending that I’m going to be invited to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal wedding 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/O9ywCe7sXB
— Felix (@felixrackers) November 27, 2017
4. We’ll be waiting for our invite! Many schemed how they could sneak their way into the royal affair.
Ooh, Markle & Spencer
— Richard Overall (@OverallRichard) November 27, 2017
5. Punny Stuff: Get it? Marks and Spencer?? Just go with it.
Hearing 'royal wedding' and immediately thinking 'bank holiday' pic.twitter.com/LC0UByT0jo
— Robyn Frost (@robynhfrost) November 27, 2017
6. Day Off Work! UK residents expect a holiday for the upcoming royal wedding.
Congratulations to Megan and Harry. More importantly, when are you getting a cat? https://t.co/AqWJXN2fTU
— Larry the Cat (@Number10cat) November 27, 2017
7. Asking the Important Questions: Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office wants to know: When will the happy couple be getting a cat?
Still mad Prince Harry has ruined Suits but delighted for Meghan
— Hannah💎 (@Hxnnahh_) November 27, 2017
8. RIP Suits: Markle is reportedly done on the TV show, and some people aren’t happy.
I'm waiting for a full circle moment where William says this back to Harry and then I can take my final form. 😭 pic.twitter.com/XKa32T7eWE
— Tasha J. (@theglossier) November 27, 2017
9. Brotherly Love: William and Harry shared a sweet brotherly moment during the former’s wedding to Kate. Many can’t wait to see it come full circle.
We got us a Black princess ya'll. You really can't tell me a damn thing for the rest of the day because it won't matter. Shout out to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Their wedding will be my Super Bowl. pic.twitter.com/WmBnGm5AuZ
— GirlTyler (@sheistyler) November 27, 2017
10. A Modern Monarchy! Many people celebrated that Markle, who is half African-American, would bring some diversity to the royal family.
Met Meghan Markle @ party in LA once.
Worked up courage to ask her if I could buy her a drink.
Amazingly she said yes.
Got distracted watching the Knicks.
When I came back she was gone.
I drank both drinks and went home to play GTA.
Now she’s engaged to a damn PRINCE.
— Rob Perez (@World_Wide_Wob) November 27, 2017
11. Missed Connections: Better luck next time, guy.
PRINCE HARRY IS GETTING MARRIED I THINK I'M MORE EXCITED THAN WHEN MY OWN BROTHER ANNOUNCED HIS ENGAGEMENT
— Melanie Tait 🐶📻📚🖋 (@MelanieTait) November 27, 2017
12. They’re basically like family. One Twitter user said she’s more excited about the upcoming royal wedding than she is about her own brother’s, and all we can say is: same.
Congrats to the happy couple!
How did you react to the news of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s engagement? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Chris Jackson/Getty)