Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Engagement Sent Twitter into a Frenzy
It’s an exciting start to the week for the royal family! On Monday morning, after months of speculation, Clarence House announced the engagement of Prince Harry and Suits actress Meghan Markle.
According to a statement from the Prince of Wales, the couple got engaged in London earlier this month, and the wedding will take place next spring.
Since the pair met in 2016, their relationship has been under heavy scrutiny, prompting Prince Harry to release a rare statement slamming the media storm surrounding Markle. When the couple took their PDA to the next level at the Invictus Games this fall, many felt an engagement announcement was imminent, and now that it’s official, the excitement is pouring in on social media. Check out some of the best reactions below.
1. A subdued dance party! Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is currently in England for the opening of Hamilton in London, said that people were keeping to themselves — but definitely celebrating on the inside.
2. The dream is over. Girls born between 1985 and 1995 are sad to no longer get the chance to be a princess.
3. Important update: We can’t forget about the corgis!
4. We’ll be waiting for our invite! Many schemed how they could sneak their way into the royal affair.
5. Punny Stuff: Get it? Marks and Spencer?? Just go with it.
6. Day Off Work! UK residents expect a holiday for the upcoming royal wedding.
7. Asking the Important Questions: Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office wants to know: When will the happy couple be getting a cat?
8. RIP Suits: Markle is reportedly done on the TV show, and some people aren’t happy.
9. Brotherly Love: William and Harry shared a sweet brotherly moment during the former’s wedding to Kate. Many can’t wait to see it come full circle.
10. A Modern Monarchy! Many people celebrated that Markle, who is half African-American, would bring some diversity to the royal family.
11. Missed Connections: Better luck next time, guy.
12. They’re basically like family. One Twitter user said she’s more excited about the upcoming royal wedding than she is about her own brother’s, and all we can say is: same.
Congrats to the happy couple!
How did you react to the news of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s engagement? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Chris Jackson/Getty)