This Rustic Lakeside Wedding Is to DIY for
For their lakeside Wisconsin wedding, beautiful bohemian bride Mara and her groom Sam had the rustic-chic look on lock. Think Mason jars full of flowers, handmade felt accents and one incredible photoshoot down by the water. Read on for all the rustic, romantic DIY wedding goodness that the couple incorporated into their big day.
1. An Ideal Venue: Thanks to her Slovenian heritage, Mara had an in at the Slovenian Culture Society’s Triglav Park right on Wind Lake. The wood-shingled structures that dotted the property provided the perfect backdrop for the couple’s country-inspired, outdoorsy affair.
2. Rustic Details: Guests got their first taste of the wedding’s rustic theme when they received these simple brown-and-black wedding invites. And to rustic-ify the wedding decor, Mara enlisted her mother-in-law to help wrap pretty Mason jars with burlap and lace, then stuff them with flowers in the white-and-yellow color scheme. Yay for awesome in-laws!
3. DIYed Arch: This pretty burlap, ribbon and floral-accented arch framed Mara and Sam’s ceremony perfectly. How’d Mara pull it together? She rented the arch from Hobby Lobby, then attached the burlap strips and flowers for extra oomph. The results? Super romantic.
4. Pendants Aplenty: To brighten up the reception hall, Mara hung up yellow and gray pendant banners DIYed using felt. The banners added a fun celebratory feel to the space.
5. Chic Seating Chart: Calling all calligraphy lovers: You’ll DIG this DIY wedding idea. In lieu of place card holders, the couple opted to direct guests to their tables via chic script-y instructions on a black chalkboard. The flouncy fern and floral accents help bring the outdoors in.
6. Fun Felt Accents: Little details like these cute DIYed felt balls and the felt banner strung across the bar also helped to enliven the reception space. Keeping all the felt accents in the same color scheme definitely unified the outdoor ceremony and indoor reception.
7. Come Sail Away: Hey, when you’ve got the chance to row around in the cutest little boat in your full wedding garb, you’ve just got to take it. Mara and Sam’s photographer captured some super romantic shots on the water thanks to the couple’s “try anything” attitude.
8. If You Like Piña Coladas …: Is there anything more romantic than getting caught in the rain? Mara and Sam didn’t let the sudden downpour during their photoshoot get them down. In fact, their rain-soaked adventure was Mara’s favorite moment of the night — and they got some incredible, one-of-a-kind wedding shots out of it too.
Congrats, Mara and Sam!
Photography: Ray and Kelly Photography
Do you have a DIY wedding that you’d like to share with us? Leave us a note in the comments, or email us at email@example.com.