Sarah Michelle Gellar Shares the Surprisingly Simple Secret to Her Marriage
Sarah Michelle Gellar has always been a Boss. The Emmy-winning actress kicked ass for seven seasons on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, co-founded a lifestyle brand Foodstirs in 2015 to inspire families to cook together, and just celebrated her 15th wedding anniversary with Freddie Prinze Jr. (hello, #relationshipgoals), with whom she has two kids.
Gellar spoke with us at #CreateGood about her inspirations, the secret to her long-lasting marriage, and what she can cook better than her culinary-school trained husband. Here are eight things we learned about the actress/entrepreneur.
1. She’s all about female empowerment. She believes that supporting other women has to come from within and that “everyone should be empowered to be the best them they can be”
2. Her female inspirations include her business partner and her mother. On Galit Laibow (one of her partners on Foodstirs), she says “she has taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to.” Growing up, she looked up to her mom, a single mother who was “able to juggle everything at the same time, not letting me know how hard it was.”
3. Her tip for a lasting marriage is surprisingly simple: communication. “You can’t expect anyone to read your mind. You have to speak up and be heard.”
4. Her kids take the best of both worlds from her and Prinze Jr. “I like to say all the good is me and all the bad/naughty is him.”
5. She misses the wonderment and amazement that kids have. “Sometimes I think in my next life I want to come back as my daughter… You’re always rushing around, and then you have a kid and you’re late because there’s a snail on the ground.”
6. Even though Prinze Jr. went to culinary school, she makes better pancakes. “His pancakes aren’t as fluffy as mine.”
7. She does not like the word “moist.” (Because who does?). When it comes to baking, Gellar has her husband beat. “His brownies aren’t as M-word as mine.”
8. She is an equal opportunity snacker. Gellar says, “I’m not discriminatory when it comes to snacks.” Faves include Foodstirs cookies and sushi.
(Photo via Brittany Griffin)