“High-fashion” and “scrunchie” might be two phrases you never expected to use together, but yet here we are in 2018, and designers are giving the polarizing hair accessory a serious image makeover. Like most retro fashion trends (mom jeans, Birkenstocks), the scrunchie is making a comeback — and thanks to covetable labels like Balenciaga and Solid and Striped, it might even be considered cool. No really, hear us out.
Whether you’re open to the scrunchie revival or dead set against it, there’s no denying the ruffly hair accessory is officially a thing again. Sure, when Mansur Gavriel sent them down their Fall 2017 runway, we chuckled. It was a cute stunt but surely an anomaly, right? Nope. Flash forward to present day and It girl labels everywhere seem to be offering their own takes on the throwback trend. 2018’s scrunchies are all kinds of luxe, with options available in silk, leather, and more. So while you may have thought you’d never live to see the day, we dare you to scroll through this collection of stylish scrunchies and not want to shop at least a few of them.
2. Balenciaga Leather Hair Tie ($195): Triple digits may seem a bit over the top for a scrunchie but it is Balenciaga. And if you’re a hard-core fan but can’t shell out over a grand for the latest bag or shoe from this label, this might be your best bet.
3. Dannijo Berry Scrunchie ($45): Spring is officially sprung, so add a pop of color and print to your look. A floral, flirty style is the perfect finishing touch.
4. Slip Scrunchies ($30): This label originally started with pillowcases made of specially-designed silk that benefits your skin and hair. Now, they’re offering scrunchies from that same fabric, so damaging or breaking your delicate strands is a thing of the past.
5. Donni Charm Chiquita Linen Hair Scrunchie ($32): Hello, warm weather. Americana-inspired checks feel preppy and playful at the same time.
6. Mansur Gavriel Vintage Scrunchie ($35): Western-inspired is big this Spring, so nail two trends at once with this paisley print piece. No cowboy boots required.
Want more style inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.