These 18 Short Summer Haircuts Will Have You Reaching for the Scissors
Unbearable heat waves and balmy humidity are two side effects of summer that we could do without. From sticky clothes to runny makeup, there’s no question that our signature look can suffer thanks to rising temps. That’s why we are obsessed AF with this season’s hottest summer haircut ideas. Besides the obvious benefits — no more sweat sesh the moment you walk outside — you’ll get a mini Instababe makeover just in time for vacay. Instead of your usual trim (a few inches here, a few there), why not take the plunge by asking for a totally fearless pixie or a stylish celebrity-inspired lob that demands attention? Scroll down for 18 game-changing short hairstyles that will have you reaching for the scissors and living the “short hair, don’t care” life.
1. Summer Lob: Usher in the carefree days of summer with a lob that keeps you feeling refreshed even in 90-degree temps. You can wear it straight or show off your natural curls — either way, shoulder-baring necklines are non-negotiable when you flaunt your new summer chop.
2. No-Heat Beach Waves: We’re low-key obsessing over this perfectly imperfect cut that’s casual at its best. The messy curls evoke an I-just-woke-up-like-this look that could totally double for a night out when teamed with a bold red lip.
3. Pixie With an Undercut: Umm, we can’t decide what we love more: this adorable pixie (complete with an edgy undercut) or the platinum blonde shade. Channel your inner #girlboss with this streamlined ‘do that requires zero effort.
4. Jagged Bangs: If you’re going to test drive a shorter length, then you might as well try out jagged bangs to add a bit of wow factor (‘cause why not?). Throw in some next-level highlights and a fierce cat eye for a come-hither look.
5. Chic Bob: Give an old-school bob a youthful update courtesy of loose waves and choppy bangs. Can you imagine how DDG it would look for your lineup of summer soirees and black tie weddings?
6. The Jessica Alba Lob: This just in: Glossier founder Emily Weiss is just as much of a fangirl as us when it comes to Jessica Alba’s textured lob. She asked for “Jessica Alba hair,” and this is what she got. You’re next!
7. Short Bob With Shaved Side: Enjoy the best of both worlds with this shaved-side bob that’s equal parts versatile and cool. Play up your girly side by day with casual waves, then rock it sleek for night to unleash your inner vixen.
8. Multi-Colored Ombre Lob: Go big or go home! If you want to take this season’s hottest length to the next level, bring on the color. Rock all the colors of the rainbow or keep it subtle with ombre — either way, you’re bound to make a statement.
9. Volumizing Razor Cut: Run, don’t walk, to your hairdresser for all-over razor-cut layers that softly frame your face for a look that is effortless with major cool girl appeal. Trust us — your hair will feel noticeably lighter and bouncier just in time for cocktails on the beach.
10. Fresh Summer Chop: Along with a fresh trim, balayage is where it’s at. Think: Subtle ombre meets well-placed highlights for a sun-kissed look that slays on and off the beach.
11. Colorful Pixie Cut: We can’t stop staring. If the stunning mermaid blue doesn’t catch your eye, then the innovative pixie cut will make you want to ditch your everyday ‘do STAT.
12. Punk-Inspired Cut: Calling all style chameleons! If the lob is too mainstream for your fashion-forward sensibilities, don’t be afraid to mix it up with this dynamic rocker-inspired cut that’s red-carpet ready.
13. Shoulder-Length Layers: Get ready to swoon hard for this fashion girl’s dreamy lob featuring soft side-swept bangs. This classy cut is especially ideal if you want to add layers without sacrificing too much length.
14. Sleek Pixie Cut: Bring it with this Rihanna-approved pixie cut that defines a low-maintenance summer chop. Not only is it incredibly sleek, but it’ll almost instantly accentuate your cheekbones and enhance your best features.
15. French-Girl Lob: St. Tropez, here we come! Bangs and all, this beautiful French-girl lob is made for a stint in paradise. Throw in some choppy layers for an undone look that’s so right.
16. Short Hair With Ombre Ends: Subtle ombre tips? We’re so down. Ask for a straight cut, with a few short layers thrown in for texture, and you’ll be well on your way to achieving this athleisure-inspired look.
17. Bombshell Beach Waves: For the beach babe who rocks waves all day err’day, this is the bombshell lob for you. Toss your hair into a low pony or wear it as is for a perfectly playful look.
18. Teeny Weeny Afro: Enter the TWA (teeny weeny afro) that needs to be on your radar. This super short and sassy hot pink cut is not only way easy to maintain, but it totally screams SUMMER.
Which short summery ‘do is your favorite? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!