When you think of transitional spring coats, a trench likely comes to mind. It’s classy, timeless and holds it down with just about everything in your closet — no wonder it’s earned a place of prestige among your closet basics. That said, trenches aren’t the be-all-end-all when it comes to covering up in style once the warm weather hits, especially for spring 2016. Bomber jackets, denim toppers and suede dusters offer just as much (and maybe even more) wow-factor than their sophisticated counterparts, especially when teamed with pared-down essentials like boyfriend jeans and striped tees. And did we mention they’re just as versatile? Because, yup, they have that going for them too — festival season, desk to dinner and dressy occasions — they work whenever, for whatever. If you’re ready to step up your style game this season, scroll on for 14 spring jackets that will straight-up slay your #OOTD.
1. Reformation Bouquet Jacket ($168): This ’90s-inspired topper is ready to take on festival season in style, with its boxy silhouette and bold floral prints. Team it with cutoff jeans, a classic band tee and combat boots for an effortless main-stage-ready getup with undeniable edge.
2. Zara Jacquard Herringbone Coat ($149): Bad days are impossible when you have this sunny yellow stunner in tow. Get your work week off on the right foot by tossing it over a streamlined jumpsuit and block-heel mules, then whip it out on the weekend for any number of urban adventures with flares and flatform kicks.
3. Selected Dimer Duster Jacket in Graphic Print ($162): Blending in simply isn’t an option when you have a statement duster like this in your ranks. Wear it to the office over a silk cami and high-waisted trousers for a fashion-forward take on the standard suit.
4. Nasty Gal Joey Denim Jacket ($88): Badass alert! This oversized denim jacket will make you pumped that denim on denim is a thing again. Pair it with mom jeans and a crocheted top for a boho-babe-meets-rock-goddess look that can hold it down for festival season or an afternoon of hunting for vintage duds.
5. Topshop Seamed Wrap Kimono Coat ($240): Dressing to impress just got a whole lot easier thanks to this feminine kimono coat. The pale lilac hue serves up just enough panache to keep your look from feeling too serious, while the elegant silhouette is guaranteed to get the seal of approval from HR or bae’s ‘rents.
6. Artisan De Luxe Embroidered Poppy Shirt Jacket ($298): Your favorite field jacket just got a major upgrade. Floral embroidery brings a free-spirited feel to everyday denim and flowy maxi skirts alike, making it a shoo-in for summer concert series and backyard bashes. Geode jewelry and fishtails are highly encouraged.
7. BLANKNYC Vegan Leather Fringe Jacket ($138): Fierce and fringe-flecked, this vegan leather bomber can do no wrong. Its cool gray hue and don’t-mess attitude will make you want to pull it out at every opportunity. Toughen up flirty frocks by layering this bad boy on top and adding studded slide sandals to the mix.
8. Mango Suede Coat ($250): ICYMI: Prairie chic is a thing, and this long suede coat is the key to nailing it. The clean lines and elegant detailing read out-West edge, especially when paired with a silk floral cami, high-waisted trousers and lace-up booties.
9. A Star Is Born All Over Embroidered Trophy Jacket ($259): Elevate basics in seconds with an embellished trophy coat that isn’t messing around. This shimmery show-stopper was practically made for busy gals — simply toss it on and and you’re good to go, no accessories needed.
10. People Tree Drop Shoulder Jacket in Navy ($129): Flip the script on your French-girl-stripes-and-denim routine by adding this nautical blazer to your lineup. Layer it with overalls or a playful pinafore for an instant Insta-worthy #OOTD.
11. Zara Printed Bomber Jacket ($70): Athleisure enthusiasts, this one’s for you. Feminine florals and shiny satin lend a luxe tone to a tried-and-true bomber jacket, giving your live-in joggers and slide-on flats an ultra-refined feel.
12. Elevenses North Channel Jacket ($168): Bombers and biker jackets are essential for turning up the tough-girl factor on everything from LBDs to boyfriend jeans, but when you’re ready to make a different statement, look to this playfully preppy jacket instead. Infinitely chicer than a distressed denim jacket, this easy-breezy number is ready to infiltrate your everyday routine.
13. Mango Premium Linen Coat ($150): If your spring agenda is filling up fast with weddings and graduation parties, this is the coat you NEED in your life. Whether you wear it over an elegant evening dress or distressed jeans, it offers that little bit of extra somethin’ to any outfit to make sure you don’t go unnoticed.
14. UNIF Oversized Mel Jersey Jacket With Front Logo ($203): DON’T pull out all the stops and go minimalist instead with a bright jersey jacket that will inspire you to do less this season. The super relaxed fit offers the perfect counter balance to high-waisted skinny jeans and ankle boots for a foolproof look that dares to do athleisure differently.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.