As we slowly creep toward the warmer months, it might be time to start thinking about resurrecting some of your lighter items from the back of your closet. Sorry, colorful winter coats and cozy knit turtlenecks, but it’s (almost) time to say goodbye in favor of lighter, fresh jackets perfect for those in-between temps. If the back of your closet is looking bleak, then these bad boys will fit the bill: stylish, easy-to-layer and that perfect not-too-heavy, not-too-light heft. Start dreaming about warmer days to come and scroll on for our favorite 21 transitional jackets this season.
1. Reclaimed Vintage Button Down Coat With Belt Detail ($144): Lilac is a great color to wear to add some spring attitude to your wintry-hued wardrobe. Mix this robe-like jacket with a bright yellow skirt for a high-contrast outfit and add a scarf around your neck on a chilly spring day.
2. Saturday/Sunday Cabled Knit Bomber ($128): You don’t have to let go of that cardi with this cable knit bomber. Unlike your go-to cozy layer, this jacket is structured enough to give jeans and a tee an instantly put-together look.
3. ASOS Cropped Jacket With ’70s Styling ($95): Hop on the ’70s bandwagon in this orange cropped jacket. Its wool-mix fabric will keep you warm on cold evenings, but it’s short enough (and bright enough!) for a dynamic daytime look too.
4. Banana Republic Chevron Jacquard Double-Breasted Coat ($248): Chevron is a great pattern for every season and this double-breasted coat is no exception. Wear it over a cute LBD and add some stellar heels for a spring-is-here date-night ensemble.
5. Boo Hoo Petite Layla Longline Scuba Bomber Jacket ($35): This bomber jacket is bringing sporty back with a classic, sophisticated twist. While this coat comes in two other colors, this cream option is perfect to mix and match with softer items without feeling too out of place as the weather starts to warm up.
6. & Other Stories Ada Kokosar Colour Block Coat ($245): Color block is on our minds this spring (and always), especially when we see a sweet number like this. It’s easy to layer with its crepe material and gives off effortless kimono vibes.
7. Topshop Lightweight Belted Truster ($160): This coat hits the two most important B’s: blush and buckles. When classic tan’s just not your thing, wear this pastel trench with your favorite distressed black jeans and a ribbed turtleneck to add professional polish.
9. H&M Denim Parka ($70): Seen one denim jacket, seen ’em all? Wrong! The oversized silhouette of this parka brings the attitude. Go for the demin-on-denim-on-denim look by wearing it with a chic chambray top and cropped jeans.
10. Loft Essential Trench ($148): No rain showers will ruin your day when you have a chic short trench to keep your bod dry. Style it up with a cute beanie and an extra-large umbrella.
11. Madewell Hooded Fielder Anorak Jacket ($148): This anorak jacket has so many pockets, you won’t even know what to do with all of them. For a super comfy weekend look, wear it over a pair of boyfriend jeans and a striped tee.
12. Missguided Long Sleeve Maxi Duster ($60): A duster is perfect for that time of year when all you need is a light layer. This one’s seamless silhouette would complement your work uniform and weekend brunch duds alike.
13. Nasty Gal Austen Suede Moto Jacket ($248): If your springtime style leans more sassy than sweet, consider this badass suede number. This jacket is just begging to be worn with a pair of leather-look leggings and a band tee from your high school days.
14. Forever 21 Quilted & Hooded Utility Jacket ($44): This jacket is as versatile as they come. The 3/4-length sleeves and khaki accents set this piece firmly in springtime territory, while the lined felt fabric will keep you warm in unpredictable weather. Wear a long-sleeved shirt underneath for extra coverage.
15. Reformation Daryn Jacket ($228): This jacket is for the minimalistic at heart with its sleek lines and thin lapels. Wear it with an all-black ensemble and a forest green fedora for a sassy night out.
16. Pixie Market The Fifth Navy Instrumental Wrap Coat ($146): Just because the days are about to get warmer doesn’t mean you can’t invest in a long coat. Contrast the ankle-grazing length with a springy floral frock and ankle-strap heels for drinks with your boo.
17. Zara Faux Leather Badge Jacket ($129): Moto jackets are a must for anyone’s closet, especially when it packs a major punch like this one. While black is a can’t-go-wrong go-to color, this baby blue shade will make any springy outfit that much brighter.
18. COS Raw-Cut Wool Cape ($225): If capes are your thang, this is the transitional piece for you. It’s all in the details on this one: button clasps, pockets, that hood. Layer it over an athleisure outfit for some majorly elevated tomboy vibes.
19. FRS Navy Colorful Polka Dot Decorated Collarless Overcoat ($132): Hint at the spring pastels that are an inevitability with this colorful, grommet-studded coat. A red or yellow bandana is just the accessory you need to make the colorful embellishments pop.
20. Zara Hand Made Coat ($199): This coat is the definition of lazy-girl chic. Its waist-cinching belt and large lapels are effortlessly cool, and would pair well with everything from Saturday skinnies to tailored trousers.
21. BB Dakota Tamela Vegan Leather Jacket ($109): Equal parts comfy and cool, this vegan leather jacket gives you the edginess of leather without looking too tough. A lace-up top is the perfect PIC with that waterfall collar that spills open (just keep a scarf in your bag, should the weather take a turn for the worse!).
Which of these spring coats will you be wearing when the weather turns warm? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful + fun style inspo!