The 8 Spring Shoe Trends You Need to Shop Now
Often it’s the simplest details that have the most impact on an outfit. Building an arsenal of finishing touches inspired by the latest accessory trends can go a long way towards injecting new life into wardrobe basics and past-season pieces. Shoes are just one of those magical items. They’re essential for elevating jeans, polished pencil skirts and easy, breezy joggers to new sartorial heights, plus they’ll change your entire ensemble’s mood in two seconds flat. Desk to dinner? It’s all in the shoes. So obviously, once a new season rolls around, a new pair of shoes (or two or three) becomes essential. Spring 2016 is proving to be pretty on point in the footwear department, with steppers like quicksilver slide-ons and ’70s-inspired clogs joining the ranks of beloved lace-up ghillies and platform flats. Scroll down to find our latest list of must-have shoes for the post-winter season, so you can get a head start on cultivating the ultimate warm-weather wardrobe.
1. High Shine Silver Shoes: You definitely won’t be going unnoticed in 2016 with feet tricked out in high-shine silver. Futuristic metals are ready to transform your go-to kicks and usher timeless outfits into the 21st century.
2. Western Boots: Y’all will be swapping out your standard ankle boots and sleek, knee-high steppers for shoes with undeniable out-West flair. These runway-ready styles aren’t your average cowboy boots either. Ankle-grazing, pointed-toe silhouettes, decorative seams, suede and studded accents have just the right amount of wild, free-wheelin’ vibes and modern appeal — they’ll no doubt do right by your carefully curated style sensibilities.
3. Mules: Consider 2016 the year of the mule. Styles like stacked heels and low-lying slide-ons proved their fashion-forward power on the spring 2016 runways, with the front-row-ready shoe popping up in some of the most noteworthy collections around. The ugly-pretty kicks pack plenty of throwback appeal and will give any outfit — whether on-the-clock approved or date-night ready — a serious runway-inspired edge.
4. Flatforms: Get a leg up on your spring style by adding a pair of high-flying flatforms to your repertoire. The larger-than-life shoes deliver all the height you want and none of the discomfort you don’t. If you already have a pair hanging out in your closet, go bigger and bolder this time around and scoop up a pair of skyward-reaching platforms with look-at-me stripes and studs.
5. Flirty Ghillies: Lace-ups proved to be the style of choice this past summer and fall, and the ghillie has unofficially been dubbed the shoe du jour for 2016 too. The laces give a flirty, feminine facelift to the classic ballet flat, providing a chic option for gals who are looking for statement-making shoes that feel everyday appropriate.
River Island Beige Snake Ghillie Lace Up Ankle Flats ($60), Public Desire Faye Khaki Ghillie Block Heeled Sandals ($52), Charles & Keith Strappy Pointed Stilettos ($69) + M. Gemi The Brezza Flat ($248)
6. Clogs: With ’70s style still going strong, the transformation of clogs into a wardrobe essential just feels so right. Rock them now with socks and flowy midi skirts, cropped and flared jeans and architectural dresses that stand in stark, yet totally cool contrast, then step out au natural once the mercury starts to rise.
7. Chic Sneakers: If there’s anything the athleisure trend taught us, it’s that comfort and style can coexist. The spring/summer 2016 collections reiterated this sartorial truth, with designers sending dozens of colorful, ultra-modern sneakers down the runway. Fashion’s obsession with styles that fuse comfort and creativity lent itself to innovative sneakers with reimagined shapes, funky prints and unexpected embellishments. Your off-duty game is about to get that much chicer.
Nike Air Huarache Sneakers ($141), Sam Edelman Margo Sneakers ($80), Rialto Jean Product One-of-a-Kind Hand-Painted Sneakers ($285) + Ash Extra Studded Sneakers ($240)
8. Huarache Shoes + Sandals: Like gladiators and espadrilles before them, the traditional woven shoe from Mexico is getting a fashion-forward makeover with bright color, buckles and platform heels. Your new go-to summer shoe? We think yes.
Which shoe trends will you be jumping on next season? Tell us what trends you can’t wait to try on Twitter @britandco!