10 Wedding Trends Predicted to Take Over This Spring
Wedding trends come and go quickly, so it’s always important to be on the lookout for the up-and-comers when planning your own nuptials. To get you ready for spring 2017, we chatted with Lauren Kay — Deputy Editor at The Knot — to get the inside scoop for the latest and greatest wedding trend predictions. And, according to her, we’re about to turn a very colorful corner with lots of bright jewel tones. Metallic accents are here to stay, as is an abundance of greenery, thanks to Pantone’s color of the year. For a sneak peak at what you can expect, check out her top 10 trends for spring 2017.
1. Color Comeback: A sea of gorgeous (but neutral) weddings have paved the way for a color explosion in 2017. According to Kay, we’re going to see a shift from softer pastels and neutrals to bold, bright colors. “Think yellows, pinks, jewel tones — and bright color pairings,” she tells Brit + Co. (Photo via Ashley Seawell Photography)
2. Dangling Decor: “Hanging installations are the new centerpiece,” says Kay. They add an instant *wow* factor that’ll get your guests looking up — which is perfect if you’re trying to downplay the venue’s color-clashing carpet. To get the look, Kay suggests “suspending flowers or vines from ceiling beams, or string lights from barn rafters for added ambiance.” (Photo via Allison Maginn Photography)
3. Reduced Carbon Footprint: “Couples are really starting to think big picture when it comes to their wedding day, and that includes going green with eco-friendly invitations and in-season, locally sourced flowers,” Kay tells us. “There are plenty of ways to incorporate sustainable goods and services without sacrificing style.” Farm-to-table menus continue to trend along with artisan sips from a local brewery or small batch whiskey shop. Extra conscious couples are even forgoing favors in lieu of donations to green charities. (Photo via Birdhaus Co.)
4. Exceptional Guest Entertainment: Guest lists are getting smaller and smaller, but the receptions are getting more creative. “We’re talking outside-the-box entertainment, like an aerialist or a choir belting out Beyoncé’s greatest hits,” Kay says. “According to The Knot 2016 Real Wedding Study, custom entertainment has more than tripled, from 11 percent to 41 percent since 2009. Photo booths, games, musical performances, and fireworks top the list of favorites.” New twists are also emerging, like silent discos (AKA the perfect solution for outdoor venues with a noise ordinance). (Photo via 5ive15ifteen Photography)
5. Natural Elements: “Nature is playing a huge role in decor across all categories — potted trees, stone place cards, and wood charger plates are super on trend this year,” she tells Brit + Co. Pantone’s Greenery is vibrant and earthy, making it perfect for all seasons. If your ceremony and reception are in the same room, create a wall of actual greenery that can double as a ceremony altar and fun photo booth backdrop at the reception. “Flower walls, oversized arrangements, and bouquets are getting bigger, fuller, and more organic. And the cascade bouquet is even making a comeback,” Kay explains. (Photo via Steve Steinhardt Photography)
6. Icebreaker Guest Games: Weddings are about having fun, right? Kick off your reception with everything from horseshoes to custom crossword puzzles. In addition to wedding details (like the order of events), use the program to share funny tidbits about the wedding party or print an interactive MadLib. “If you’re hosting an outdoor wedding, treat your guests to some lawn games during cocktail hour. This playful trend is the perfect way to get your friends and family mingling,” says Kay. (Photo via The Knot)
7. Specialty Seating: This year, the lounge setup is getting a fun upgrade with swings. It’s a playground classic that is bound to be a huge hit with guests young and old. Add some pizzazz to the seats with ribbons, greenery, or patterned cushions that match your wedding theme or color palette. “Keep the swings close to the dance floor so your guests can stay in motion when their feet need a break. If you’re skipping a lounge at your reception, opt for fun couple seating at the sweetheart table, with throne-like king and queen chairs,” Kay says. (Photo via Kay English Photography)
8. Party Portraits: We’re loving this new twist on the classic photo booth. Instead of four rapid-fire shots, there’s a live photographer asking you to vogue for the camera. Cool backdrops, stylish props, and black and white filters will make it feel especially luxe. If you’re more laid-back, swap the photographer for a caricature artist or an illustrator to sketch guests in their party finery. And there’s nothing quite like an iPhone snap! Kay also says, “Geofilters are joining hashtags as the hottest way to be social at weddings.” (Photo via 5ive15ifteen Photography)
9. Metallics: All that glitters is gold. The popularity of the metallic trend has quadrupled since 2012, and it’s easy to see why. A bit of sparkle elevates even a casual celebration. “Add metallic accents to your table with gold flatware, mercury glass vases, and silver candelabras, or wear the trend down the aisle,” Kay suggests. (Photo via Untamed Heart Photography)
10. Image Mapping: If you can’t have an outdoor wedding — but you really want one — this is the next best thing. “Image mapping is a projection technology that allows you to transform a space with lighting and moving pictures,” she explains. “You can turn your indoor reception space into an enchanted forest without uprooting a single tree, or create a totally climate-controlled winter wonderland.” You can even change the imagery throughout the evening. Imagine pairing your dinner course with a gorgeous garden setting! (Photo via The Temple House)
Want more wedding inspiration? Follow us on Pinterest!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)