14 Street Style-Approved Ways to Rock Your Winter Whites
Can we all just agree that the “no white after Labor Day” rule is dead? Like totally passé and outdated, actually. While head-to-toe white can understandably come across as a bit “meh” during the dead of winter, a pinch of this minimalist hue can actually speak volumes when teamed with a moodier palette. Let it be known: There’s something about chunky cream-colored knits, clean ivory culottes or even a fresh pair of sneaks that tugs at our heartstrings. Instead of making an effort to ditch this versatile neutral altogether, a little imagination and style inspo from your favorite Instababes will have you ready to adopt an all-white-errthang aesthetic. We’ve done the double-tapping — scroll down for 14 foolproof ways to sport winter whites like a total boss this winter.
1. Cream-Colored Knits: Too nippy to sport an off-the-shoulder cream-colored sweater? Not if this Instababe has anything to say about it. In lieu of stark white (which we know can be intimidating), opt for a slew of off-white and parchment hues that play well with navy, blush pink and even cognac leather. See how this It girl has so exquisitely styled her neutral-toned sweater with a bold red lip and a statement-making box bag for a date night-ready look.
2. A White Bow-Neck Blouse: So easy to overlook, yet so versatile come December when you’re rushing off to one holiday brunch or another, an ivory bow-neck blouse will style itself for more than one occasion. Though we’re definitely partial to how this London blogger has teamed hers with velvet dungarees (and perfectly tousled hair, might we add), it could just as easily be tossed on with jacquard trousers, a denim button-front skirt or flea market flares for a vintage-inspired look.
3. Black and White Stripes: Is there a chicer uniform than black and white stripes? We think not. This Instababe’s got the right idea: Team a textured striped knit sweater with matte leather pants, a fuzzy topper and white tennies for a look that reads bona fide New Yorker with athleisure sensibilities. To be worn for anything from grabbing drinks downtown to shopping in SoHo.
4. A Fisherman Sweater: Holiday cheer, right this way. You know what pairs splendidly with seasonal tartan prints and shiny red ballerinas? Cream fisherman sweaters, that’s what. For the most foolproof outfit combo of the season, follow in Blair Eadie’s footsteps by topping off your seafaring-inspired knit with a plaid trench coat, tapered jeans and tortoiseshell shades.
5. A Plain White Tee: Yes, test-driving winter whites is really that easy. Serving as a blank canvas for every #OOTD, a basic white layering tee will always steer you right. Toss it on alongside a tough-girl leather biker jacket and a maxi skirt as shown above, or style it with a fringed knit poncho and OTK suede boots for maximum impact (and warmth).
6. White Pants: Gone are the days of white pants being off limits post-Labor Day. Case in point: They make for a winning combo when styled with a waxed field jacket, a cable knit sweater, duck boots and a knit beanie. This classic preppy look calls to mind trips up to Vermont and weekends spent at the tree farm sipping apple cider.
7. White Culottes: We’re currently digging autumnal hues that carry over to the winter months. Here, white fringed culottes and a basic tee serve as the perfect foundation to an oversized scarf laden with rich burgundy and mustard tones. Throw in some tan ankle booties for an unexpected pop and a #winning look.
8. With Splashes of Black: How to get the most out of your winter whites? We thought you’d never ask. Temporarily abandon your obsession with dark-colored clothing for a head-to-toe two-toned look, consisting of a white skirt and splashes of chic black (think: a leather moto jacket, Chelsea boots and a sleek clutch) for a look that reads HBIC. Platinum blonde hair not required, but definitely appreciated.
9. Head-to-Toe White: Simplicity is key here. Minimalist enthusiasts will flock to this all-white ensemble that would even pass for the boardroom with flying colors. Less really is more when it comes to this streamlined pairing consisting of a slouchy off-white turtleneck sweater and crisp white trousers.
10. Wooly Knits: Spotted: Where there are wooly knits, winter whites surely won’t be too far behind. Recreate this street MVP-worthy getup by pairing a neutral cable knit sweater (size up for a slouchy fit) with a fringed denim midi skirt and strappy steppers. The contrast between light and dark makes this #OOTD winter-approved, even if you’re baring your legs in single-digit temps come January.
11. Touches of Tan: We swiped right on this entire head-to-toe look. Between the white toggle coat, the oversized plaid scarf, the cropped skinny jeans and even the sensible suede tennies, this Instababe makes winter whites look totally doable. Less in-your-face, more “trying, but not trying too hard,” this unassuming outfit formula is perfect for transitioning seasons. A millennial pink bicycle for roaming around town unfortunately not included.
12. The Little White Dress: This is not your typical LWD — not the crisp white shirt dress you wore for a stint in the Hamptons during the summer months, anyway. For a don’t-mess-around ‘tude that slays on the streets, team an ivory boho frock with a leather jacket, black OTK boots and a multi-layered statement necklace. Final step before leaving the house? A deep red pout that bring the boss-babe vibes.
13. Statement-Making Jumper: One totally amazing cream-colored jumper will deliver up a million and one outfit possibilities. Thanks to the cozy mock-neck and trend-right lace-up details on the side, this trendsetter’s sweater game is making us want to embrace the frigid temps ahead. Throw in some burgundy culottes, a set of statement earrings and Chanel-esque backless mules for an undeniably chic getup.
14. White Accordion Pleats: While swishy accordion pleats wouldn’t normally be filed under things to wear during frigid morning commutes, we can’t help but swoon over this off-duty uniform that’s a little bit grunge, a LOT downtown. The gray knit beanie, hands-free leather satchel and chunky stompers are successful in conveying a wintry look with an understated NYC aesthetic. Don’t even get us started on that donut-printed sweater.
Will you be sporting winter whites this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.