7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Brighten Up Your Winter Look
This Monday’s weekly outfit inspiration is all about moving away from the knee-jerk reaction of wearing dark-colored clothing during the wintertime. While there’s no doubt the season is prime time for moodier shades like black and burgundy, winter 2015’s most popular color palette is noticeably lighter. Heather gray, camel and white are brightening up fashion bloggers’ cold weather uniforms, and their #ootds show just how now the color refresh looks. Follow our styling tips for wearing winter white like a fashion girl, inspired by their Instagram pics below.
1. @ohhcouture: Fashion blogger Leonie is making a major statement with her outerwear all while sticking to a clean nude palette. She brings even more attention to the cozy-chic cape by matching her accessories and oversized sweater (you see her peeking sleeves?) with the winter layer. For us, what keeps this heavy-on-top look fresh is her pop-of-color lip — your go-to red will look just as good.
2. @larisacostea: Your favorite spring LWD is waiting to be restyled for colder weather. Take a cue from fashion blogger Larisa and wear it over a nude long-sleeve shirt (or form-fitting turtleneck, even). Pair with thigh-high boots or keep it easy-feeling with white oxfords and light gray tights. While we’re feeling some major hair envy toward L (those curls!), we’d keep our hair sleek with a pulled-back low pony.
3. @lousieroe: Fashion TV presenter Louise shows how the entire spectrum of light neutrals can work in one outfit. Start off by combining the preppy standby of a white button-up and striped knit with khaki trousers (when did you think you’d wear those again?) and finish the look with a camel trench — this season’s must-have piece of outerwear. A bronze clutch (+ matching mani) keeps this sophisticated look from feeling too stuffy — the milkmaid braid and bright red pumps add a playful touch too.
4. @lookdepernille: Fashoin blogger Pernille has us rethinking color blocking entirely, starting with using the lightest color of all as the two-toned outfit’s anchor. Once you’ve made the contrasting topper and bottoms match — in any shade but black to make the most impact — you kind of have to complete the blocking with white sneakers.
5. @styleon_bykinga: We don’t know about you, but *our* go-to biker jackets comes in black. That might be about to change now that fashion blogger Kinga shows how making the simple switch to an unexpected color on a traditionally dark garment produces wow-worthy results, especially when paired with a chunky sweater dress and black ankle boots that help to balance the cozy with the cool.
6. @sinbymannei_com: Become reacquainted with your light wash denim a little early this year so that, like TV host Sara, you can get the most out of your equally crisp-colored wardrobe classics like a gray wool jacket, white ribbed knit and nude pumps. Top off this outfit with a messy bun to keep the relaxed-but-still-dressy vibes going.
7. @maffashion_official: There’s no better time to push the trend to the max by wearing head-to-toe white than now. Fashion blogger Juliett gives us truly wearable inspiration for going monochrome by pairing a dresses-up-anything wrap coat and chain-strap bag with more casual pieces like a relaxed-fit sweater dress platform booties. Round out the sporty-chic feel with a fishtail braid cinched with a black hair tie — the perfect carefree detail.
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with@britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.