Whether your commute is a quick 10-minute walk door-to-door or a staggering hour-long expedition, wintry weather can totally throw off your nine-to-five swagger. Bulky layers and less-than-fabulous footwear, like your uber practical hiking boots, don’t do much for your style sensibilities or your ego – not the kind of pump-you-up feels you want before you head in to tackle the day. But those freezing pre-work hours don’t have to be stressful and unstylish. All you need are a few simple tweaks to your sartorial morning routine and you’ll be queen of the cold-weather commute in no time.
1. ASOS Oversized Fluffy Scarf in Color Block ($33): Scarves aren’t just an ultra cozy accessory that can elevate an outfit in two seconds flat. Besides keeping gusts at bay, the versatile accessory can keep those luscious locks on lock if snow or rain unexpectedly starts to fall.
2. Hat Attack Wool Fedora ($204): Keep cozy with a wooly hat that’ll do some major favors for your on-the-go style. With its clean lines, leather accents and a rich berry color, this piece is perfect for the times when you need a little more polish than a laid-back beanie can offer.
3. House of Holland Tote Amaze Reversible Nylon Tote Bag ($176): Carry your essentials in a nylon tote to keep them dry and protected from the elements. Because soggy accessories and tech are so not chic.
4. Monki Metallic Parka With Faux Fur Hood ($135): For those days when you have to go heavy duty in the coat department because —ugh — it’s just that cold, a next-level parka is key. This slick silver number will keep freezing temps at bay and proves that you don’t need to bulk up to stay snug.
5. Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Compact Jacket ($40): Okay, so maybe your fave outer layer isn’t the most practical choice for the weather that’s in store, but you just can’t bear to part ways. This ultra-thin down jacket is the answer to all of your sartorial prayers, providing that little bit of extra warmth to make any coat in your closet winter appropriate.
6. Ugg Australia Classic Wired Ear Muffs ($75): Pump-up jams are so necessary for your morning commute, but exposed ears aren’t an option. These game-changing headphones have you covered, playing your fave tunes and keeping ears more than cozy from point A to point B.
7. Cupcakes and Cashmere Diana Faux Leather Jogger Pants ($120): There’s no arguing that tights are an indispensable part of any cold-weather repertoire, but let’s be real — they’re not exactly the pinnacle of warmth. The solution: super sleek joggers. Toss them on over tights as you make your way into work and slip ’em off once you arrive at the office. It’s fashion-forward and practical all rolled into one.
8. Reformation Brixton Coat ($198): This season, it’s all about the statement outerwear, so now’s the time to work an eye-catching coat into your work week routine. Give any #girlboss getup a healthy dose of glamour with a fuzzy longline coat that screams chic.
9. AdNArt Diva Cup ($26): Cold coffee — no, thanks. This bad boy is double walled so your cup of joe will still be piping hot by the time you reach your desk. It also boasts a lock sip, so you can toss it in your bag without worrying about spillage. Of course, the rose gold color doesn’t hurt either.
10. Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara ($26): High winds and rain can make your makeup smudge, but waterproof mascara will keep your beauty look on lock. Make sure you don’t pass up this winter beauty essential.
11. Fiebing Salt Stain Remover ($7): Don’t let salt stains cramp your style — your on-point boot collection deserves better than that. This stuff will kick unsavory blemishes to the curb for good.
13. Echo Touch Leather Glitten ($88): Settle the mitten vs. glove debate once and for all with this luxe glitten. The soft, durable outer and warm wool lining create an unstoppable combo that keeps digits frostbite-free while providing the freedom to text and check the latest ‘grams all the way to the office.
14. Stance Crave Socks ($12): Slip a stylish pair of socks on over your tights to keep toes toasty while you make your way to work. Opt for fun, funky prints or colors for a fashion-forward look you’ll want to show off.
What are your cold-weather commute must-haves? Tweet us your commuting essentials at @BritandCo!