26 Travel Essentials for the Stylish Jetsetter
Be it for work, pleasure or both, you’re a self-proclaimed jetsetter, just trying to fuel your wanderlust. Travel is the only thing that truly makes you richer, after all! With Memorial Day weekend right around the corner, odds are you already have a getaway up your sleeve to usher in the unofficial start of summer. (If you don’t, then you’d better get cracking!) Between wedding and festival season and a romantic rendezvous in paradise with your boo, it’s safe to say you’re going to need a capsule wardrobe of travel essentials that read airport chic. (AKA, you won’t find any unsightly sweats or snuggies on this packing list.) You will, however, uncover a slew of chic everyday basics that can be styled and remixed for endless sartorial possibilities.
Whether you’re looking for something comfy (think: effortless spring jumpsuits and sensible walking shoes) to rock during those long layovers or are crunched for space in your suitcase and carry-on, scroll down for 26 OMG-worthy jetsetting statement pieces that won’t cramp your style one bit.
1. Glamorous Flying Colors Striped Knit Dress ($68): The last thing you should have to worry about when traveling is wrinkled clothes. #SorryNotSorry, but this girl will not be doing any ironing while in paradise. Not only is this rainbow striped knit dress all sorts of cozy, but it can be dressed up or down with sneaks and platforms for glam style on the go.
2. Kit and Ace Turn Up the Volume Trouser ($268): Despite what you may have heard, you don’t have to feel like a hot mess when traveling. Ditch the frumpy sweats for some free-wheelin’ wide-leg trousers that feel like silk jammies — or party pants in disguise. They’ll look boho-chic accompanied by a wrap cardigan at the luggage pick-up and equally a stunner on the dance floor with a sequined crop top.
3. Reformation Tennessee Dress ($178): An extended week in Maui calls for an off-the-shoulder dress that’s laid-back chic at its best. From grabbing cocktails with your girls to strolling along the boardwalk at sunset, this ruffled denim number will inspire you to do less. Beach waves and barely-there makeup complete the easy-peasy look.
4. UO Souvenir Austin Shopping Bag ($29): Tote around all your worldly flea-market treasures and island-shop souvenirs with this reusable cactus print bag that’s compact enough to fit in your pocket.
6. Jet Set Candy Homeward-Bound Adventure-Bound Ring ($148): While some people wear their heart on their sleeve, you wear adventure on your fingertips. Get the best of both worlds with this 14K gold keepsake airplane ring that combines your love for faraway places and your homeland.
7. Frends Layla Oil Slick Headphones ($155): Between overnight flights and screaming kids in the aisle right behind you, nothing will block out the chaos like these stylin’ black leather headphones with flashy gold hardware. Pack them in your carryall bag for your next adventure and let the good vibes roll.
8. Madewell The Thea Sandal in Printed Calf Hair ($98): While pom-pom gladiators and entrance-making espadrilles may look cute for the Insta, they’re not exactly practical for a day of island-hopping. Play up the island girl charm with these sensible walking sandals that will take you from AM to PM.
9. Ban.do The Getaway Passport Holder ($24): Can you even call yourself a world-class traveler if you don’t have a super girly passport holder to show for it? Whip out this punchy neon pink floral holder at customs and get ready for the compliments.
10. J.Crew Trench Coat in Shirting Stripe ($198): Getting caught in a spontaneous downpour is never fun, especially when you’re supposed to be enjoying a stress-free holiday. This springy update on your everyday trench will make you look (and feel) flawless — rain or shine. Team it with a LWD or dark wash cropped flares for a polished look that takes you from the airport terminal to the streets of Madrid.
11. Free People Wanderlust Patch ($8): If you haven’t already been there, it’s on your never-ending travel bucket list. Add this rad wanderlust patch to your fave denim jacket or bomber and hit the road.
12. Kit and Ace Finishing Touch Scarf ($108): Airport security-friendly accessories, like this colorful cashmere blend scarf, are always good in our book. Whether you knot it around your neck, effortlessly drape it over a dress or tie it around your luggage for quick retrieval, you won’t want to leave home without this hero piece.
13. Henri Bendel Sunglasses ($145): Fake it ‘til you make it with these paparazzi-worthy mirrored sunnies that demand attention. Poolside lounging and shameless people-watching have never looked so good.
14. Madewell Shorewalk Cover-Up Pants ($75): Chambray beach bottoms DO exist. Proof that you don’t have to forfeit comfort for impeccable style, these pull-on drawstring pants can double as a cute cover-up and off-duty joggers for the club. They’re that versatile.
15. bkr Gigi 500 ML ($35): Staying hydrated during your travels is mandatory if you want to keep your energy levels high and the jet lag at bay. Allow this aesthetically pleasing BPA-free water bottle to serve as an incentive to drink more water.
16. For Love and Lemons Monaco Crochet Coverup ($252): Channel your inner Grecian goddess with this sultry cold-shoulder crochet cover-up that’s not for the overly modest. Toss it over your scalloped bikini or wear it to the tiki hut with a floppy straw hat to solidify your beach-babe status.
17. Shopbop Nixon The Unit 40 Watch ($100): Gear up for all of your upcoming underwater escapades and safari adventures with this multipurpose water-resistant watch that tracks the time, date and temperature. Did we mention that it’s Barbie pink? Oh yeah.
18. PJ Salvage Travel Lily PJ Set ($77): As fulfilling as traveling the world can be, living out of a suitcase for weeks (or months) on end can be exhausting. When a case of homesickness sets in, reach for these ridiculously soft and luxe striped jammies that will instantly make you think of pillow fights with your besties.
19. Kate Spade Crochet Packable Fedora ($78): A super chic straw fedora that will actually bounce back to its original shape after being stuffed into a suitcase? Sold! Don’t even get us started on that charming black bow…
20. J.Crew Relaxed Jumpsuit in Tencel-Linen ($98): Daytime casual is the name of the sartorial game, as far as foolproof airport style goes. For an athleisure look that’s comfortable and Beyoncé-approved, feast your eyes upon this relaxed black jumpsuit that requires zero effort. Seriously, nada!
21. Clare Vivier Fannypack ($245): Tote around just the essentials? Puh-lease. But actually. This stylish hands-free madras print fanny pack will inspire you to carry less and avoid any potential “OMG-where-did-I-put-my-passport” fiascos. Phew.
22. Anna Sui Island Flower Maillot ($198): NBD. We just found the Hawaiian-inspired swimsuit of our dreams. Excuse us as we pretend to be T-Swift by teaming this sophisticated one-piece with retro sunnies and white canvas sneaks. Calvin Harris unfortunately not included.
23. Proper Assembly The No. 2 Duffel Bag Umbria ($225): You’ve gone on enough cross-country trips to know by now that snoozy luggage isn’t even an option. Dare to be different with this durable poppy print duffel bag that’s designed with the serious jetsetter in mind.
24. Proud Mary Net Bag ($78): When in paradise, a spontaneous beach date or game of pick-up volleyball is always on the table. This colorful net bag will hold sunblock, sunnies, snacks — and then some.
25. ASOS Linen Stripe Shorts With Tie Belt ($40): These nautical striped tie-waist shorts are bae. After back-to-back-to-back flights, you deserve to lounge in style without having to put on a fashion show. Style these linen bottoms with a plain white tee or a bandeau bikini top for a yachting party-esque look that’s as easy as throw-on-and-go.
26. Maeve Bathing Beauty Dress ($158): Pinch us, please! Go ahead and give this vintage-inspired striped dress a twirl. Everything from the embroidered swimmers to the tie waist and flattering silhouette has got us swooning hard. Style it with lace-up espadrilles and a leather tote for dinner al fresco (and beyond).
What are your jetsetter essentials? Follow us on Pinterest for more stylish travel inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.