Ballerina-Inspired Swimwear Is a Thing (and We’re OBSESSED)
Just when you thought ballet style essentials — everything from trend-right tulle hem jeans to grunge-inspired Miu Miu ballerinas — were all you could handle, we catch wind of yet another plié-worthy piece to add to your repertoire. Ballerina swimsuits resembling leotards are positioned to be one of spring/summer 2017’s breakout trends. And for good reason. The pretty blush tones and flouncy add-ons (ruffles, bows, and scallops) are enough to make any self-respecting girly girl swoon hard. Keep scrolling for nine recital-ready swimwear styles that will hold you down in sunny SoCal (or whatever exotic locale you’re jet-setting off to).
1. Allihop Ruffled Peplum Tankini ($78): Did someone say an itsy bitsy teenie weenie polka dot tankini with ballet undertones? Heck yes, girl, and this sweet ruffled number even has a peplum for good measure.
2. Surfea Two Block Swim Op ($98): We can’t decide what we love more: the epic color-blocking or the well-placed cutout. When you’re not perfecting your pliés, you can bet on floating around the kiddie pool on a giant ol’ pineapple float.
3. Kate Spade New York Marina Piccola Scalloped Cutout One Piece ($150): Cue the squeals: You had us at flirty pink scalloped swimsuit that’s fit for Malibu Barbie (and we mean that in the best possible way). If there ever existed a flattering one-piece that’s not matronly in the least, then you better believe it’s this one.
4. Topshop High Leg Plunge Swimsuit ($38): Take the plunge (get it?) with this retro high-leg swimsuit that’s not messing around. The simple silhouette and bubblegum pink hue would do any ballerina proud.
5. Vitamin A Ballerina Wrap Top in Eco Black ($200): This sleek and sexy wrap top featuring cap sleeves is wow-worthy in its own right. (Something tells us that Misty Copeland would approve.) Not only will it show off your toned physique (cough, abs, cough), but it’s versatile enough to be worn beyond a water aerobics class.
6. ASOS Frill Lattice Bardot Dot Mesh Bikini Top ($31) +ASOS Neoprene Frill Dot Mesh High Waist Bikini Bottom ($31): Perfect ballet slipper pink hue? Check. Lingerie-inspired details? Check. Flouncy Bardot neckline that pays testament to your inner vixen? Triple check. Bachelorette party in Maui, here we come!
7. J.Crew Halter Bow-Tie One-Piece Swimsuit ($98): We’ve got a certified showstopper on our hands, folks. (Team USA, we’d be taking notes if we were you.) For an entrance like “whoa,” proceed to parade this red haute halter one-piece (THAT bow) around the boardwalk. Something tells us a ballet bun will be in order.
8. For Love & Lemons Jardine Criss Cross One Piece ($171): Details, people, details! While we’re partial to the embroidered daisies and swoon-inducing shade of pale pink, it’s the elegant crisscross design that will have you perfecting your pirouettes at the ballet studio. Any takers?
Which of these ballerina-inspired swimsuits will you be snatching up for spring break? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.