According to the calendar, summer officially started two weeks ago. While you’re out grilling, sitting at the beach or shooting off fireworks, you’re going to need a good soundtrack. From throbbing EDM beats to cabernet-sipping jazz, we selected 10 of the best Spotify playlists you can play while blasting your friends with a Super Soaker.
1. Sean Parker’s Hipster International: From Napster creator and recording industry pariah to indie maven, Parker spends hours curating this playlist of approachable, danceable indie tunes from STRFKR and Phoenix to Daft Punk and HAIM.
2. Spinnin’ Records Top 100: This obsessively updated playlist from Dutch independent house label Spinnin’ Records will provide some serious energy to any gathering. Right now we spot some MJ on there dancing with Borgeous and Martin Garrix.
3. FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014: This playlist explodes with tasty offerings from around the globe in celebration of the all-eyes-on-it sport. Curated by the musicologists at Filtr, it’s guaranteed to marinate your ears with flavors from around the globe.
4. Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Series Sampler: Compiled by the legendary jazz label, Blue Note Records, this playlist bottles up plenty of Davis, Monk and Hancock for hazy summer evenings, as well as lesser known gems from the label’s vaults. Savor with brunch or during a romantic interlude.
5. 12” Classics: Built by Spotify experts, this playlist features 101 signature 12” singles from vinyl’s heyday. Here’s the soundtrack for your ‘80s dance party (Blondie! Rick James! Madonna! “Red Red Wiiiiine!”) that will impress any Reagan-era scenester.
6. Respect the Classics: Bump this playlist full of old skool faves like RUN-DMC, Eazy-E and Slick Rick whether you’re cruising through LA or sweating at a Brooklyn house party.
7. #ThrowbackThursday: Spanning from the Beach Boys-era to non-lying-hips Shakira, this will please almost everyone on your road trip.
8. Global New Releases: Unlike last year, when Daft Punk was battling Robin Thicke, there isn’t a clear-cut favorite for 2014’s Song of the Summer, but this playlist will keep you current on the contenders.
10. Annie Mac’s Musical Hot Water Bottle: And for the Sunday hangovers, this playlist from one of BBC 1’s favorite DJs oozes with slower jams from Lauryn Hill, Foals, Solange, Javeon and more.
Share what you’re spinning this summer in the comments below!