Summer is synonymous with good tunes. Whether you’re going on an epic road trip, hosting some legendary BBQs or just lounging by the pool, you’ll need some sweet summer jams to rock out to. From country to indie, all these songs have one thing in common: They radiate that laid-back, breezy attitude of summer. Here’s your ultimate sunshine playlist — stacked with 26 songs that remind us of carefree days in the sun and endless summer nights.
1. Fancy by Iggy Azalea: An Australian newbie, Iggy is pop-hop’s latest superstar and her catchy hit might just be the song of the summer with its nimble rap and sleek verses; this upbeat tune celebrating a glam life is perfect for living it up this summer.
2. Summer by Calvin Harris: You can’t go wrong with a song that has “summer” as the title. The fun, disco-ish tune is sure to be stuck in your head all the way through September.
3. Problem by Ariana Grande: Reaching #1 on iTunes within 45 minutes of its release, there is going to be no problem loving this song by Ariana Grande; it’s perfect for hitting the dance floor or for spontaneous synchronized swimming moves at your next pool party.
4. Indebted by Forever Came Calling: This sugary pop song will be the perfect soundtrack as you hit the road on a summer adventure.
5. We’re On the Run by Gold Motel: With a title like Summer House, it’s really no surprise that Gold Motel’s album oozes good vibes and sunny tunes. We especially love the song “We’re On The Run” which is an automatic necessity for any road trip playlist.
6. A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay: No, they don’t always play sad songs that pull at your heartstrings. Their new single is an uplifting throwback with a heavenly chorus that is perfect for dancing the night away under, well, a sky full of stars.
7. She Looks So Good by 5 Seconds of Summer: Summer is all about those guilty little pleasures, and this fluffy, but addictive song is the perfect pop song to satisfy that boy band itch we all claim not to have. Play it loud and proud!
8. Sing by Ed Sheeran: An unexpected turn from Sheeran results in an awesome mix of hip-hop and rap in this song… and yes, we will have this on repeat for the next foreseeable future.
9. Rude by Magic!: With a definite island-inspired tune, this is a fun mix of reggae and pop that’ll have you dreaming of a beach and sandy toes.
10. Maps by Maroon 5: As the lead single off Maroon 5’s new album, it has a distinctly pop sound, with a guitar riff that gives the song a retro, summer lovin’ feel.
11. The House That Heaven Built by Japandroids: This song was a huge hit two years ago and for good reason: It is all about rolling the windows down and blasting those speakers. We think it’s worth bringing it back again this summer.
12. Parch My Heart by Flood Coats: It didn’t take us long to fall in love with Flood Coats and their indietronica sound; their song “Parch My Heart” definitely sounds like summer with its smooth chorus and infectious melody.
13. Play It Again by Luke Bryan: According to Shazam this is the country song of the year… so maybe the title is self-fulfilling. All we know is that if you need a little twang in your tunes, this is the song to have on repeat.
14. You Don’t Know How It Feels by Tom Petty: Here we have a smooth, easy melody best paired with a glass of ice tea and a porch swing.
15. Ain’t It Fun by Paramore: This song has been gaining momentum all year and is in full bloom this season. It’s easy to sing along to and has a fun, feel-good, upbeat tune perfect for sunny afternoons.
16. Am I Wrong by Nico + Vinz: It starts out a little slower, but the tempo definitely kicks in, making it a strong contender for one of the top songs of the season.
17. I Will Never Let You Down by Rita Ora: With some help from Calvin Harris, Ora’s pop love song adds some electronic beats to our summer playlist.
18. La La La by Shakira: A song you definitely won’t escape this summer is Shakira’s song for the World Cup. Love it or hate it, we guarantee you’ll know it by heart come September.
19. Beachin’ by Jake Owen: If summer to you means cutoff shorts and cowboy boots, then Owen’s song will be the one you’ll be playing during those tailgate BBQs.
20. Burning Gold by Christina Perri: Loved “Brave” and “Roar?” You’ll definitely be hooked on this uplifting melody that will put you in a permanent good mood.
21. Sounds of Summer by Dierks Bentley: For those who prefer country roads to dance halls, this song will make you want to “drop it down a gear” and enjoy being transported to another place where there’s “dust in the air and freedom everywhere.”
22. Far Alone by G-Eazy: No, it’s not the best rap in the world, but it makes a perfect song for running on the treadmill, and it’s definitely a catchy beat.
23. Reflections by MisterWives: Wait about 45 seconds, and this song gets really good. Blast this tune at your next picnic for lots of feel-good vibes.
24. California by Jamestown Revival: What is it about summer that makes the banjo seem suddenly appealing? This folky duo makes you want to pack a cooler and head to the beach for some sand and sun.
25. Alive by Empire of the Sun: “Loving every minute ’cause you make me feel so alive…” will be the chorus you’ll have stuck in your head through the sun-drenched season. Part electronic, part indie and completely infectious, this song has summer written all over it.
26. Shake Señora by Pitbull: Just listening to this song will make you feel like you need a piña colada. It’s all about the light-hearted reggae spirit and hip-swaying chorus.
What other songs are you listening to this summer? Let us know in the comments below!