How to Embrace Fashion’s Maximalism Trend, According to Susie Bubble
The ever-flamboyant and snap-worthy Susanna Lau — author of Style Bubble, a blog she’s penned since 2006 — is no rookie when it comes to traffic-stopping FASHUN. This reigning street maverick (the OG of man-repelling style) is known for so much more than just her signature topknot. It’s her eye for clashing color, curation of hotchpotch prints, and all-around eclecticism that take her style into A+ territory. To say she’s got more than a few tricks up her sleeve — like how to wear sneakers for any occasion or rock a frothy tulle skirt without looking the least bit frou-frou — would be a huge understatement. Ahead we’re bringing you 13 ways to embrace Lau’s maximalist look.
1. Embrace color. Whether she’s dipping her toes in Crayola brights or embracing color-block details, a big play on color is always a go in this Londoner’s book. For Fashion Week, she nonchalantly teamed a frilly neon coral skirt with a fluorescent floral-print top and muted sneakers. (Photo via Matthew Sperzel/Getty)
2. A clashing topper is in order. Meet the pièce de résistance that will slay upon first wear. Lau’s neon tartan checkered coat — and LA Lakers jersey to go with — is photogenic evidence that a zany topper is always appropriate. (Photo via Edward Berthelot/Getty)
3. Leopard-print outerwear isn’t up for debate. The secret to looking something fierce? Lau’s already on it with her textured leopard-print topper and rainbow of pastel pleats. Serious cat-titude is right. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
4. Sporty redux (à la the ’90s) is welcome. She aces the athluxury look with her majestic purple souvenir jacket (check out those contrast leather sleeves), fitted joggers, and silver Nike trainers. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
5. Play with proportion. Lau slays the outerwear game (again), but this time it’s her avant-garde red marshmallow puffer that’s racking up the style points. Her metallic floral dress and shiny blue boots lend a whole element of style know-how to the mix. (Photo via David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty)
6. DGAF about the fashion police. For a private viewing of Alexander McQueen’s Savage Beauty exhibition, Lau channeled a runaway bride with her ethereal white dress, sheer veil, and strappy heels. (Photo via Karwai Tang/WireImage)
7. Rock head-to-toe monochrome. Got color? From her voluminous top to her petite Loewe elephant purse and Alexander McQueen trainers, Lau’s a vision in tonal shades of bright fuchsia. (Photo via Vanni Bassetti/Getty)
8. Do give the dress-over-pants look a go. This off-beat Style Bubble-approved outfit can best be described as uniquely British (and perhaps, a bit Alexa Chung). She breathes new life into a sequin heart-embellished dress from Ganni by layering it over a striped turtleneck and frayed hem pants for a little #OOTD magic. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
9. Say yes to BIG frills. This tastemaker may be partial to millennial pink and ruffles aplenty à la Little Bo Peep — and we’re so down. Here’s to NOT following the fashion herd. (Photo via Matthew Sperzel/Getty)
10. Juxtapose femme elements with hints of menswear. While Lau’s living the Pantone dream in her Rose Quartz and Serenity coordinated getup (and those sparkle Barbie-pink boots!), it’s her tailored vest and textured shorts that take on a masculine-meets-feminine vibe. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
11. Hone your signature style. Rule #1: You do YOU, girl. From Lau’s sky-high topknot and blunt-cut bangs to her ability to pull off anything — be it outlandish creepers or a more hygge-inspired coat — she’s a true pioneer of DGAF style. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
12. Always be FROW-ready. Be it boppin’ between LFW presentations or running errands, when does Lau’s outfit not scream “‘Gram me!”? Now, if we could just get our hands on that crossword puzzle sweater. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
13. Don’t let the clothes wear you. Spotted: Our favorite street MVP rocking it out in a crushed velvet cheetah-print lined blazer and sparkly buckled steppers for a night on the town. Is it just us or does she wear her confidence on her sleeve? (Photo via Darren Gerrish/Getty)
What’s your favorite Susie Bubble style moment? Follow us on Pinterest for more street-chic inspo!