The Edit: 12 Updated Trench Coats for Spring 2017
As far as transitional dressing goes, trench coats are king. Beyond being infinitely classy, their ability to combat crazy spring weather is pretty much unparalleled. But with minimalism fading into the backdrop this season and a more-is-more aesthetic on the rise, it’s officially time to give your tried-and-true topper a RN upgrade. Whether you’re into embroidery, bold prints, or vibrant color, there’s an Instababe-approved trench out there to suit every taste.
1. River Island Studio Embroidered Trench ($260): Rain or shine, there’s just something about botanical embroidery that can instantly boost our mood. With its floral motif and longline silhouette, this trend-right trench is a prime candidate for your spring lineup.
2. Topshop Gingham Trench ($150): The official arrival of gingham got you feeling giddy? Keep those good vibes alive on even the grayest of days by slipping this checked number on before heading out the door.
3. Forever21 Lace-Back Trench ($68): Boho babes, this one is for you. The oversized fit and romantic lace panel make this woven trench feel fit for the long list of festivals on your spring and summer to-do list.
4. Mango Buckle Knitted Trench ($80): When it comes to the essentials, average just isn’t an option. Souped up with sleek circular buckles, this modern beauty packs all the class of a timeless trench without compromising on the modern vibes.
5. Dynamite Denim Trench Coat ($90): Chase away the rainy-day blues with a denim trench that makes transitional dressing a piece of cake. Toss it over a metallic skirt, a silk tee, and suede mules for the office, or keep it casual with joggers and an oversized button-down.
6. Kimchi Blue Clemmie Trench Coat ($139): Though this slouchy style gives off a classic vibe at first glance, subtle details such as bow-tied sleeves and a flowy back exude contemporary flair. Team with structured trousers and a new-age button-down for a RN take on a tried-and-true office ensemble.
7. Zara Studio Trench Coat With Contrasting Belt ($299): Love an oversized silhouette? This trendy take on the trench will make you swoon with its relaxed fit and infinitely feminine belt. Up the boy-meets-girl flair by popping it on top of a frilly frock and block-heeled pumps, or take the elegantly androgynous route with wide-leg trousers and menswear loafers.
8. BB Dakota Barkly Trench Coat ($155): On Wednesdays (okay — every day) we wear pink. And who could blame us with a DDG option like this on hand? The high-low hemline is on-point for showing off snazzy embellishments or Insta-worthy embroidery, while the flowy silhouette channels spring’s carefree vibes.
9. French Connection Escher Striped Cotton-Blend Mac ($189): If modern minimalism is more your thing, this striped stunner will feel spot-on. A bold black-and-white print pairs with a sleek circular buckle for a contemporary-cool look that will score you some serious style points whether you team it with distressed denim or a streamlined jumpsuit.
10. Helene Berman Trench Coat ($290): It doesn’t get any better than this. All-vinyl-everything is having a moment — just take a quick scroll through your Insta feed. Rock the trend while keeping your all-weather ensemble on top of its game by adding this wet-look number to the mix.
11. H&M Satin Trench Coat ($70): Every girl needs at least one swanky option to layer over sleek suiting separates and sophisticated shifts, and this satin trench should definitely be in the running. Jazz it up by swapping out the standard tie-waist with a bold metallic belt and teaming alongside a statement top handle bag.
12. ASOS Made in Kenya Chambray Trench With Contrast Rib ($106): With its effortless meets downtown-cool vibe, this go-with-the-flow topper combines all the best elements from your favorite outer layers. The striped neck calls to mind your trusty bomber jacket, while the lightweight chambray and longline silhouette play on denim and traditional trench styles.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.