The Lazy Girl Guide to Dressing like an Adult at Work This Winter
Pulling together an outfit for the office that strikes the perfect balance of comfort and sophistication isn’t always easy, especially on a cold morning avant coffee. And especially, especially, if you consider yourself to be, well, a little lazy when it comes to the whole getting dressed thing. That isn’t to say your style is anything but impeccable — it totally is — but you want effortless and fashion-forward all rolled into one show-stopping getup. Oh yeah, and warm, because it’s FREEZING out. These 17 perfect pieces make it all possible. Here’s the lazy girl’s guide to dressing like an adult at work this winter.
1. Zara Striped Dress With Pleats ($50): Fit-and-flares are a little too fussy for your taste, but this right here? It’s lazy girl gold. The bold stripes make enough of a statement on their own, so you don’t need much in the way of add-ons. Just toss on a minimalist bauble or two and head out the door.
2. Golden by TNA Harmon Jacket ($160): Blazers? Pshhhht. A supremely soft kimono delivers all of the polish of its more structured cousin, but it feels like you’re wearing your fave bathrobe to work.
3. BDG Parker Cardigan ($59): Classic cardigans just don’t speak to you, and that’s totally okay. This bright alternative boasts an oversized silhouette that’s big on comfort, but won’t cramp your nine-to-five style.
4. Loft Long Sleeve Cotton Tee ($25): Step one: Pull on a pair of polished pants. Step two: Layer on a long-sleeve tee and cardi coat. Step three: Head out the door. Yep — it’s that simple.
5. ASOS Premium Jumpsuit in Wool Mix With High Neck ($126): This one-and-done number is what lazy-girl dreams are made of. The warm wooly fabric can stand up to a little bit of weather, while the clean-cut silhouette knocks your on-the-clock style out of the park.
6. Intentionally Blank Smarty Loafer ($199): When you’re not feelin’ the heels but trainers won’t exactly get the office seal of approval, loafers are your BFF. For an ultra-chic edge, upgrade the classic style with hot-right-now shearling.
7. Lou & Grey Signature Soft Mockneck Dress ($60): Sweater dresses are the one-stop style you need in your workweek rotation. You should probably run out and add like 10 of these to your closet right now. You’ll thank us later.
8. Zara Wide Leg Velvet Trousers ($50): With a wide-leg silhouette and soft, sumptuous velvet, these elegant trousers are the ultimate in comfort. The best part? No one has to know.
9. ASOS Casual Crinkle Longline Shirt ($58): Going all-out #girlboss doesn’t have to mean compromising your sartorial sensibilities. Simply fill your wardrobe with modern interpretations of classic pieces like this longline button-down shirt.
10. Mango Flowy Long Skirt ($50): Pencil skirts translate to restrictive and stuffy in your book, but their polished aesthetic is undeniable. Nab some of those refined vibes with a long jersey skirt, sleek ankle boots and a structured boyfriend shirt.
11. Moth Bell Sleeve Sweater ($118): The easiest way to give nine-to-five separates a more you sort of vibe? Chunky knits — it just works. For extra style points, opt for of-the-moment detailing like free-wheelin’ bell sleeves.
12. Farrow Harley Pants ($110): Straight-up sweatpants are a major office no-no, but there’s an exception to every rule. And these ribbed numbers are it. Dress them up with a button-down, metal-accented oxfords and a structured blazer.
13. & Other Stories Ribbed V-Neck Sweater ($115): Whether you layer it over wide-leg trousers or tuck it under a favorite jumper or dress, a longline sweater is always a good choice.
14. Moth Chevron Sweater Skirt ($98): Soft, stretchy and super warm fabric offers a lazy-girl-approved way to do pencil skirts.
15. Ganni State St. Check Pullover ($340): Who said getting down to business can’t be cozy? This wooly check knit is all about balancing comfort and class. Pair it with a pencil skirt, ankle pants or a pair of corduroy flares.
16. Zara Tunic ($50): If tucking in isn’t your cup of tea, toss this grid check tunic on before heading out the door. It makes the perfect partner to culottes and ankle boots.
17. Wilfred Ménival Pants ($145): Joggers at the office are totally a thing, but it’s all about choosing the right pair. This checked number packs plenty of classic appeal, but is anything but stuffy.
What’s your ultimate cozy piece for kickin’ it at the office? Tell us in the comments!