Get ready for some real talk: From one veg head to another, sometimes meat dishes just look so darn delicious. Whether you’re an herbivore-4-life or you’re just taking a brief relief from beef, here are 15 mouthwatering vegetarian versions of common meat dishes that’ll even make your steak-lovin’ friend green with envy.
3. Sweet Potato Chili: Sweet potatoes are one of the best substitutions for any kind of meat. Not only are they power-packed with a whole bunch of fiber and vitamins, but their heartiness adds a whole lotta deliciousness to your food. (via Cookie and Kate)
4. Vegan Bacon: If you’ve recently converted to vegetarianism, bacon may be the food you miss the most. Not to worry! Oyster mushrooms are a great substitution. Their robust flavor stands up to the bacon challenge. (via Herbivoracious)
5. Vegetable Paella: A favorite food of the Spaniards, paella is typically made with seafood. However, super-chef Jessie Monds has come up with a great veggie-packed version, full of texture and flavor. (via Jessie Monds)
7. Thai Peanut Satay: This delectable version of a beloved Thai recipe uses seitan, a really great substitute for any kind of meat. But believe us. The peanut sauce is the real winner of this dish. (via Forlou)
9. Mushroom Burgers with Almonds and Spinach: We absolutely love all kinds of veggie burgers, whether they’re made with black beans or… mushrooms! Isn’t this so much classier than a regular hamburger? (via The New York Times)
10. Spaghetti + No Meatballs: It’s hard to have your own Lady and the Tramp moment if you can’t eat spaghetti and meatballs! Lucky for us, there’s a vegan version of this classic dish. (via Healthy. Happy. Life.)
11. Mughlai Vegetable Biryani: Biryani is a South Asian dish with tons of history. It was originally brought over to India by Muslim travelers from Turkey and Persia. You better believe you’re going way back with this recipe, which was inspired by the Mughal Empire. (The more you know… ) (via Veggie Belly)
Which meat dish would you want to recreate? Share your thoughts with us below!