13 Flatbread Recipes That Are Almost Better Than Pizza
We’d be lying if we said there was anything on this Earth better than pizza. But when you break it down, even the best recipes are comprised of just a few basic ingredients: bread, sauce, and toppings. On those days when you don’t feel like dealing with a complicated sauce or dough, why not try a simple flatbread instead? Tell pizza to move on over — these 13 flatbread recipes will more than earn a place in your heart.
1. Mediterranean Baba Ghanoush Flatbread: In this flatbread the tomatoes are on top, not in the sauce. Smokey baba ghanoush takes the place of marinara, while a scattering of hazelnuts add some crunch to the dish. (via Veggies by Candlelight)
2. Blue Cheese and Roasted Grape Flatbread: Roasted grapes add sweetness to this dish, which is balanced with some pungent blue cheese. Red onions, honey, and herbs bring it all together. (via Spiced)
3. Hot Pastrami Flatbread: Salty cured pastrami makes its way from rye bread to flatbread in this recipe. Top it with all the usual suspects: Swiss cheese, pickles, and a creamy dressing. (via Belly Full)
4. Naan Flatbread With Hummus and Kale: Salad is always better when it’s paired with carbs. The greens are even more interesting in this recipe, because instead of lettuce, you’ve got hearty kale, which can stand up to the crunch of roasted chickpeas. (via The Pastiche)
5. Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Flatbread: You really can’t go wrong with putting bacon on flatbread. It adds a smokey saltiness that’s the perfect balance to the rest of the toppings, including Brussels sprouts and balsamic vinegar. (via Gimme Some Oven)
7. Fig and Caramelized Onion Flatbread With Balsamic Reduction: Sweet figs, caramelized onions, and tangy balsamic reduction — it’s hard to go wrong with that flavor combination. Pair with some salty, creamy cheese and you have a winning dish. (via The Spice at Home)
8. Flatbread With Grilled Zucchini: This flatbread is the perfect way to use up extra zucchini. It’s jazzed up with hemp seed oil, lemon, yogurt, and fresh herbs for a bright Mediterranean meal that begs to be served with a cold glass of wine. (via Heinstirred)
10. Ricotta and Goat Cheese Flatbread With Brussels Sprouts: Brussels sprouts can be bitter, but in this recipe they’re balanced out by sweet, tart cranberries. Add some ricotta and goat cheese to the mix and you’ll be happy to eat your greens. (via With Salt and Pepper)
11. Jambalaya Flatbread: Chicken, shrimp, andouille sausage, and peppers — this jambalaya-inspired meal has it all. Just swap the rice for flatbread and you’ve got the perfect Louisianan finger food. (via Pepper Delight)
12. Vegan Potato Habanero Flatbread: Potatoes have a surprising creaminess that can help temper the fire of habanero peppers. Add a little vegan cream cheese and you’ve got the ultimate comfort food with a kick. (via The Savory Vegan)
13. Steak, Goat Cheese, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread: Juicy steak makes this dish a proper entree. Bright balsamic and smooth honey goat cheese add tangy and sweet flavors that brighten up the whole meal. (via The Creative Bite)
Find out more fun ways to remake your favorite meals on our Pinterest page.