5 New Apps + Gadgets for a Better Wake-Up
Last year we rounded up 10 of the best alarm clock apps as well as 5 of the hottest alarm clock docks around. But there’s a new crop of clocks in town, and they’re all about waking you up naturally, gently, and with your best night’s sleep in mind.
1. Sound Rise ($100): First up is the Sound Rise. This alarm clock debuted earlier this year at CES and is pretty darn cool. The upright design means it takes up less room on your nightstand while still filling the room with rich sound. It includes a dock for iPod, iPhone & iPad as well as a USB power port to keep all of your devices recharged in the morning. And, of course, you can stream wirelessly via Bluetooth. The alarm clock lets you wake up to music, radio, or an alarm chime with gradually increasing volume.
2. Rise ($1.99, iPhone): A refreshing and clever way to set time, Rise is a beautiful, simple app for waking up. Drag your finger across the screen to set a wake up time, turn the alarm on or off with a simple swipe or pull gesture, snooze with a shake, and wake up a Rise melody or iTunes song of your choice.
4. Jawbone UP ($130): You know we’re partial to just about anything Jawbone serves up. The latest evolution of the UP band (Jawbone’s activity tracking wristband) includes a smart sleep alarm.
Set the alarm to whatever time you need to wake up by, define a window of time before your alarm time that you’re willing to wake up (10-30 minutes), and the UP band will vibrate at your lightest moment of sleep within that time frame. So smart!
5. Alarm Clock Pillow (concept): Sony is in the midst of proposing a high-tech pillow that aims to help sleepers wake up feeling more refreshed. The pillow is embedded with a small actigraph unit that monitors the sleep patterns of the user and wakes them up when they leave REM sleep. Not sure how we feel about sleeping directly on a device that monitors sleep patterns and brainwaves, but we love the idea of less groggy wake-up.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)